View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

VHSer
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/27/11
Send PM

Rotated Games
#323152 - 03/10/14 09:34 PM

I don't know what's going on, but just in the last few minutes, when I try to play MAME, the screen is rotated 90 degrees either to the left or right. I haven't changed any rotation settings that I'm aware of. It started after I tried to play Tempest. Even the main MAME menus are rotated to the left.

Edited by VHSer (03/10/14 09:36 PM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Rotated Games new [Re: VHSer]
#323156 - 03/10/14 09:43 PM

> I don't know what's going on, but just in the last few minutes, when I try to play
> MAME, the screen is rotated 90 degrees either to the left or right. I haven't changed
> any rotation settings that I'm aware of. It started after I tried to play Tempest.
> Even the main MAME menus are rotated to the left.

I'm going to guess that you did the 'magic' key combo that your video card (betting some flavor of Intel?) takes to dynamically rotate your entire screen. I think the combo is CTRL+ALT+(UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT), depending on how you want the screen to be presented. You have two options - remap your keys to avoid possibility of using these all at once or disable your Rotate.

http://www.techbuzz.in/enable-screen-rotation-to-flip-rotate-windows-screen-90-180-270-degree.php

If you don't have Intel graphics, look to your local video card software/driver settings for disabling this.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Rotated Games new [Re: Tafoid]
#323158 - 03/10/14 10:16 PM

It only does this after I try to play Tempest.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#323159 - 03/10/14 10:20 PM

I don't have any option to flip the display. I can do it by hand in the control panel, but there's nothing to disable it. I don't have the key combination you mentioned.

Edited by VHSer (03/10/14 10:24 PM)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#323161 - 03/10/14 11:04 PM

> I don't have any option to flip the display. I can do it by hand in the control
> panel, but there's nothing to disable it. I don't have the key combination you
> mentioned.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

YES you do have "an option to flip the display" you just don't know that you have it.

To verify that you are wrong and stubborn and that everyone else on this message board is right, try this while you're looking at your desktop:

0 degrees (normal/upright): Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow
90 degrees (quarter turn clockwise): Ctrl + Alt + Right Arrow
180 degrees (upside down): Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow
270 degrees (quarter turn counter-clockwise): Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow

While you were playing, using the keyboard, you happened to press some combination of keys that makes your screen rotate, which is not surprising since those are also the default keys for player one in MAME.

If there is no checkbox to tick that disables the hotkeys (look for "Hot Key Manager") then download and install the latest drivers for your Intel on board or on die video from the Intel website. Then you will see that option in the control panel.

S

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Rotated Games new [Re: Sune]
#323164 - 03/10/14 11:56 PM

> > I don't have any option to flip the display. I can do it by hand in the control
> > panel, but there's nothing to disable it. I don't have the key combination you
> > mentioned.
>
> Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez
>
> YES you do have "an option to flip the display" you just don't know that you have it.
>
> To verify that you are wrong and stubborn and that everyone else on this message
> board is right, try this while you're looking at your desktop:
>
> 0 degrees (normal/upright): Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow
> 90 degrees (quarter turn clockwise): Ctrl + Alt + Right Arrow
> 180 degrees (upside down): Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow
> 270 degrees (quarter turn counter-clockwise): Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow
>
> While you were playing, using the keyboard, you happened to press some combination of
> keys that makes your screen rotate, which is not surprising since those are also the
> default keys for player one in MAME.
>
> If there is no checkbox to tick that disables the hotkeys (look for "Hot Key
> Manager") then download and install the latest drivers for your Intel on board or on
> die video from the Intel website. Then you will see that option in the control panel.
>
>
> S

I tried the keys you mentioned. Nothing happened. And I don't see what good the Intel stuff would do me. I don't have Intel. And the screen flipping is just in MAME and only happens when I try to play Tempest.

Edited by VHSer (03/10/14 11:57 PM)

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#323165 - 03/11/14 12:27 AM

> I don't know what's going on

Do you have any good news? This is all very depressing.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323166 - 03/11/14 12:35 AM

> I tried the keys you mentioned. Nothing happened. And I don't see what good the Intel
> stuff would do me. I don't have Intel. And the screen flipping is just in MAME and
> only happens when I try to play Tempest.

Does it rotate when Player 2 is up? Are you playing a two player game in cocktail mode? If so that's the intended outcome.
Press TAB while the game is running, enter the dip switches menu and verify that cabinet is set to "upright", not "cocktail".

You can rotate the display from the TAB menu, but MAME has no provision for rotating your display via key combination.
Windows itself does not provide a generic shortcut for rotation that works across all hardware.

Rotation via hotkey functionality is provided by your video card driver.

Nvidia does not support hotkeys for rotation on Vista/7/8. Previously that functionality required you to install "nview" which you can't on Vista/7/8.

This means that if you don't have Intel, and the display rotates while you're in the middle of a game, you have an ATI/AMD card.

ATI/AMD has a hotkey section in their Catalyst driver control panel where you can toggle rotation via hotkey.

S

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#323167 - 03/11/14 01:04 AM

> > I tried the keys you mentioned. Nothing happened. And I don't see what good the
> Intel
> > stuff would do me. I don't have Intel. And the screen flipping is just in MAME and
> > only happens when I try to play Tempest.
>
> If you could tell me what video card you actually have then maybe we can get
> somewhere with this.
>
> S

The only other possible way I could see that "Even the main MAME menus are rotated to the left. " is if he started the game with "-rol" (rotate left). If he attempted to rotate it back in menu, shut down the game and restart it with "-rol" again - the game would be upright but the menu would still be rotated.

Clear out the tempest.cfg or .ini and make sure you are not sending and rotate screen commands.

I have a bug report mentioning how this might happen here:
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5278

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323168 - 03/11/14 01:12 AM

> The only other possible way I could see that "Even the main MAME menus are rotated to
> the left. " is if he started the game with "-rol" (rotate left). If he attempted to
> rotate it back in menu, shut down the game and restart it with "-rol" again - the
> game would be upright but the menu would still be rotated.
>
> Clear out the tempest.cfg and make sure you are not sending and rotate screen
> commands.
>
> I have a bug report mentioning how this might happen here:
> http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5278

Which reminds me, there's a "UI Rotate" mapped to R but it seems it doesn't do anything.

S

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#323169 - 03/11/14 01:20 AM

> > The only other possible way I could see that "Even the main MAME menus are rotated
> to
> > the left. " is if he started the game with "-rol" (rotate left). If he attempted to
> > rotate it back in menu, shut down the game and restart it with "-rol" again - the
> > game would be upright but the menu would still be rotated.
> >
> > Clear out the tempest.cfg and make sure you are not sending and rotate screen
> > commands.
> >
> > I have a bug report mentioning how this might happen here:
> > http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5278
>
> Which reminds me, there's a "UI Rotate" mapped to R but it seems it doesn't do
> anything.
>
> S

Sune,

Good question - has it ever worked? Never noticed it myself.

EDIT: Looks like it is to rotate the tilemap viewer (F4)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323171 - 03/11/14 01:25 AM

> > Which reminds me, there's a "UI Rotate" mapped to R but it seems it doesn't do
> > anything.

> Sune,
>
> Good question - has it ever worked? Never noticed it myself.

No idea! I saw it for the first time myself just now when looking into this keyboard shortcut rotation business.

S

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#323173 - 03/11/14 01:49 AM

> > I tried the keys you mentioned. Nothing happened. And I don't see what good the
> Intel
> > stuff would do me. I don't have Intel. And the screen flipping is just in MAME and
> > only happens when I try to play Tempest.
>
> Does it rotate when Player 2 is up? Are you playing a two player game in cocktail
> mode? If so that's the intended outcome.
> Press TAB while the game is running, enter the dip switches menu and verify that
> cabinet is set to "upright", not "cocktail".
>
> You can rotate the display from the TAB menu, but MAME has no provision for rotating
> your display via key combination.
> Windows itself does not provide a generic shortcut for rotation that works across all
> hardware.
>
> Rotation via hotkey functionality is provided by your video card driver.
>
> Nvidia does not support hotkeys for rotation on Vista/7/8. Previously that
> functionality required you to install "nview" which you can't on Vista/7/8.
>
> This means that if you don't have Intel, and the display rotates while you're in the
> middle of a game, you have an ATI/AMD card.
>
> ATI/AMD has a hotkey section in their Catalyst driver control panel where you can
> toggle rotation via hotkey.
>
> S

I only play 1 player, as I'm alone. I have Nvidia. I don't think I have ATI/AMD. The display doesn't rotate when I'm in the middle of a game. When I open the game, the display is already rotated. It seems to be only Tempest that this happens to and it happens to other games after I try to play Tempest...some of the time.

Edited by VHSer (03/11/14 01:51 AM)

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#323174 - 03/11/14 01:52 AM

> > > I tried the keys you mentioned. Nothing happened. And I don't see what good the
> > Intel
> > > stuff would do me. I don't have Intel. And the screen flipping is just in MAME
> and
> > > only happens when I try to play Tempest.
> >
> > If you could tell me what video card you actually have then maybe we can get
> > somewhere with this.
> >
> > S
>
> The only other possible way I could see that "Even the main MAME menus are rotated to
> the left. " is if he started the game with "-rol" (rotate left). If he attempted to
> rotate it back in menu, shut down the game and restart it with "-rol" again - the
> game would be upright but the menu would still be rotated.
>
> Clear out the tempest.cfg and make sure you are not sending and rotate screen
> commands.
>
> I have a bug report mentioning how this might happen here:
> http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5278

I'm not starting MAME by doing anything else than just clicking MAME. It starts normally. But some of the time, when I start Tempest, the menus and the game flip and stays this way until I close and reopen. I'm not doing command line, if that's what you're talking about.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323177 - 03/11/14 02:05 AM

> I have Nvidia. I don't think I have ATI/AMD.

You don't think you have ATI/AMD, or you know that you have nvidia?

> The display doesn't rotate when I'm in the middle of a game. When I open the game, the
> display is already rotated.

Two ways to fix this:

1: Delete tempest.ini from the ini folder.

2: While the game is running press TAB, go to video options and rotate the game back to normal.

S

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#323178 - 03/11/14 02:07 AM

> > I have Nvidia. I don't think I have ATI/AMD.
>
> You don't think you have ATI/AMD, or you know that you have nvidia?
>
> > The display doesn't rotate when I'm in the middle of a game. When I open the game,
> the
> > display is already rotated.
>
> Two ways to fix this:
>
> 1: Delete tempest.ini from the ini folder.
>
> 2: While the game is running press TAB, go to video options and rotate the game back
> to normal.
>
> S

I KNOW I have Nvidia.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323193 - 03/11/14 07:47 AM

> when I start Tempest, the menus and the game flip and
> stays this way until I close and reopen.

I'll just repeat this here

Delete tempest.ini from the ini folder or use the MAME OSD (press tab) to un-rotate the game from the video options menu.

S

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#323212 - 03/11/14 05:56 PM

It just happened again. MAME started just fine. I played some Asteroids. Then, I started Ms. Pacman. Immediately, the menu and the game were rotated 90 degrees to the left. I can rotate the game back to the right, but the main MAME menus are still rotated 90 degrees to the left.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#323213 - 03/11/14 06:08 PM

> It just happened again. MAME started just fine. I played some Asteroids. Then, I
> started Ms. Pacman. Immediately, the menu and the game were rotated 90 degrees to the
> left. I can rotate the game back to the right, but the main MAME menus are still
> rotated 90 degrees to the left.

Attach your mame.ini

S

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#323218 - 03/11/14 08:09 PM Attachment: mame.ini 8 KB (11 downloads)

> > It just happened again. MAME started just fine. I played some Asteroids. Then, I
> > started Ms. Pacman. Immediately, the menu and the game were rotated 90 degrees to
> the
> > left. I can rotate the game back to the right, but the main MAME menus are still
> > rotated 90 degrees to the left.
>
> Attach your mame.ini
>
> S

Here's my MAME.ini file.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#323219 - 03/11/14 09:15 PM

> I KNOW I have Nvidia.

Are you running XP? It might be this?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_nvrotate.html

Vista onwards supports rotation itself, so it might be that.

Edited by smf (03/11/14 09:17 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#323220 - 03/11/14 09:22 PM

> Here's my MAME.ini file.

I'd recommend creating a completely blank directory with only the mame exe and the roms for tempest (ie. no ini/cfg/nvram literally just the exe and a roms folder with just that one zip file) and see if it does the same thing.

If it still rotates then it's nothing to do with MAME, it's something on your computer noticing what MAME is doing and rotating.

If however it fixes the problem then you've set it to display like that somehow within MAME. There are two ways it can be done which give different results. In the Video Options you can change rotation and the tab menu will not rotate with the game display. If you change the .ini file then the menu will rotate with the game display.

fwiw I did just that with your mame.ini and it displays fine, so the problem isn't in mame.ini (I think it looks in various ones like vector.ini tempest.ini etc depending on what game you are running)

Edited by smf (03/11/14 09:25 PM)

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Rotated Games new [Re: ]
#323221 - 03/11/14 09:42 PM

> > Here's my MAME.ini file.
>
> I'd recommend creating a completely blank directory with only the mame exe and the
> roms for tempest (ie. no ini/cfg/nvram literally just the exe and a roms folder with
> just that one zip file) and see if it does the same thing.
>
> If it still rotates then it's nothing to do with MAME, it's something on your
> computer noticing what MAME is doing and rotating.
>
> If however it fixes the problem then you've set it to display like that somehow
> within MAME. There are two ways it can be done which give different results. In the
> Video Options you can change rotation and the tab menu will not rotate with the game
> display. If you change the .ini file then the menu will rotate with the game display.
>
>
> fwiw I did just that with your mame.ini and it displays fine, so the problem isn't in
> mame.ini (I think it looks in various ones like vector.ini tempest.ini etc depending
> on what game you are running)

When the screen flips, the menu flips with it. When I change the game rotation back to normal in the Video options, the menu is still flipped. Oh, well. I can deal with it. Now, to just figure out how to save a game in MAME.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#323222 - 03/11/14 10:20 PM

> When the screen flips, the menu flips with it. When I change the game rotation back
> to normal in the Video options, the menu is still flipped. Oh, well. I can deal with
> it. Now, to just figure out how to save a game in MAME.

Did you try what I suggested though of using an empty directory and just the exe and rom directory with tempest in it?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2310