MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I have a question about Arcade screen scanlines.
#322407 - 02/22/14 04:07 AM

Is this correct?

R
G
B

SVC
Street Fighter 2
Vs. Mario Bros.

Or is this correct?

RGB

SVC
Street Fighter 2
Vs. Mario Bros.

Very confuse on how the scanlines go.

What about these? 1941, 1942 and 1944.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: I have a question about Arcade screen scanlines. new [Re: Dullaron]
#322408 - 02/22/14 04:29 AM Attachment: dw1.jpg 67 KB (2 downloads)

I'm surprised that you haven't noticed how MAME automatically rotates your HLSL effect according to the orientation of the game.

Always assume a horizontally oriented monitor.

I admit that my understanding of CRT technology is almost non-existent but I believe you are confusing scanlines with shadow mask or aperture grille.

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: I have a question about Arcade screen scanlines. new [Re: Sune]
#322412 - 02/22/14 06:07 AM

> I'm surprised that you haven't noticed how MAME automatically rotates your HLSL
> effect according to the orientation of the game.
>
> Always assume a horizontally oriented monitor.
>
> I admit that my understanding of CRT technology is almost non-existent but I believe
> you are confusing scanlines with shadow mask or aperture grille.
>
> S

Edit: Delete the image.

Nail it. I removed the black bars and did a few changes. Looking much better than before. Now I gotta brighten it up some.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#322413 - 02/22/14 06:21 AM

> https://sites.google.com/site/o0kinghanco0o/mame-ini-and-mess-ini/rgb-tv-test-3.png
>
> Nail it. I removed the black bars and did a few changes. Looking much better than
> before. Now I gotta brighten it up some.

Yep, with the RGB triads it's way better than the first one you posted. I miss visible scanlines though.

I was trying to find a video for you showing someone adjusting vertical picture size on a CRT. This would show the black space between scanlines increasing (it's true, the black space is not the scanline).
At least that's what happens when you adjust the v-size on a Commodore 1084 monitor.

You can look at some of these photos for reference: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemiourbina/sets/72157612829953780/ /EDIT hmm no they are kind of crappy I guess.

S

Dullaron
Send PM

#322417 - 02/22/14 08:45 AM

> Yep, with the RGB triads it's way better than the first one you posted. I miss
> visible scanlines though.
>
> I was trying to find a video for you showing someone adjusting vertical picture size
> on a CRT. This would show the black space between scanlines increasing (it's true,
> the black space is not the scanline).
> At least that's what happens when you adjust the v-size on a Commodore 1084 monitor.
>
> You can look at some of these photos for reference:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemiourbina/sets/72157612829953780/ /EDIT hmm no they
> are kind of crappy I guess.
>
> S

Edit: Delete the image.

I got it a little brighter this time. Here is the images if you want to try those out.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#322425 - 02/22/14 03:20 PM

> > Yep, with the RGB triads it's way better than the first one you posted. I miss
> > visible scanlines though.
> >
> > I was trying to find a video for you showing someone adjusting vertical picture
> size
> > on a CRT. This would show the black space between scanlines increasing (it's true,
> > the black space is not the scanline).
> > At least that's what happens when you adjust the v-size on a Commodore 1084
> monitor.
> >
> > You can look at some of these photos for reference:
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemiourbina/sets/72157612829953780/ /EDIT hmm no
> they
> > are kind of crappy I guess.
> >
> > S
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/o0kinghanco0o/mame-ini-and-mess-ini/rgb-tv-test-4.png
>
> I got it a little brighter this time. Here is the images if you want to try those
> out.

Looks good, but maybe a bit too "perfect". I can't say for sure what it is, maybe the resolution of your dot mask is too high. And I miss scanlines.

S

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#322429 - 02/22/14 04:07 PM

> Looks good, but maybe a bit too "perfect". I can't say for sure what it is, maybe the
> resolution of your dot mask is too high.

Yeah, it's too sharp.

>And I miss scanlines.

I'm sure some games had visible scanlines, but I don't remember playing any that do.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: I have a question about Arcade screen scanlines. new [Re: ]
#322430 - 02/22/14 04:36 PM

> > And I miss scanlines.
>
> I'm sure some games had visible scanlines, but I don't remember playing any that do.

They're mostly apparent on early to mid 80's lower resolution games when running on old monitors. It's a long time ago..

My Moon Patrol PCB produces a nearly perfectly square image and comes up with huge borders on a 15Khz monitor until you adjust H- and V-size to zoom in.
When you have to zoom in to make a game fill the screen you get visible black horizontal lines, but how apparent they are of course depends on the monitor.

You've used a 1084 monitor right? Remember the height adjustment pot on the back? Scanlines.

S

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#322431 - 02/22/14 06:01 PM

> You've used a 1084 monitor right? Remember the height adjustment pot on the back?
> Scanlines.

Yes, a 1084 has a sharper tube than most arcade monitors though as it is designed for interlaced computer graphics.

Dullaron
Send PM

Try these. new [Re: ]
#322447 - 02/22/14 11:42 PM Attachment: custom-scanlines.zip 2 KB (5 downloads)

horizont rgb-lighter
vertical rgb-lighter-2

These blend in with the blur screen and colors. I guest these are OK.

By the way. rgb and rgb-2 have been redone. I rather you try out the lighter ones first.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

#322463 - 02/23/14 07:07 AM

> > I'm surprised that you haven't noticed how MAME automatically rotates your HLSL
> > effect according to the orientation of the game.
> >
> > Always assume a horizontally oriented monitor.
> >
> > I admit that my understanding of CRT technology is almost non-existent but I
> believe
> > you are confusing scanlines with shadow mask or aperture grille.
> >
> > S
>
> Edit: Delete the image.
>
> Nail it. I removed the black bars and did a few changes. Looking much better than
> before. Now I gotta brighten it up some.

Heh. The HLSL feature is like a drug for me. I can't help but continue to tweak it no matter how good it looks to me. I am simply amazed that my crappy little laptop can use HLSL and make the LCD images look as close to an old CRT as I can get. One of these days, when I get off my lazy ass and also recover form the surgery I'm having in a few weeks, I at least know that I can build a computer that can run HLSL with higher pre-scale and not suffer from it.

Still, I would kill if there was a continuously updated wiki of sorts for HLSL that would explain in gory detail what each and every setting does with photographic evidence for it.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2766