MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?!
#321918 - 02/13/14 04:45 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/comcast-to-buy-time-warner-cable-2014-2

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321921 - 02/13/14 04:55 PM

> http://www.businessinsider.com/comcast-to-buy-time-warner-cable-2014-2

What a load of BS. There are already so many markets that have no choice at all for internet service. Now there will be that many more who have no choice. But I'm sure Comcast will be nice and keep their prices low, because they're nice like that.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321983 - 02/14/14 07:24 PM

switched to FIOS as soon as i could, haven't looked back. no downtime, like ever. love it. they keep upping my speed and not my monthly bill. this merger is made in hell and i hope it doesn't go through. sickening.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: yaggy]
#321990 - 02/14/14 10:02 PM

> switched to FIOS as soon as i could, haven't looked back. no downtime, like ever.
> love it. they keep upping my speed and not my monthly bill. this merger is made in
> hell and i hope it doesn't go through. sickening.

I had FIOS for two years. It was fine and a lot cheaper than Comcast, but when my contact came up to renew, the deal wasn't that good. I ended up getting a better deal from RCN, even with the offer FIOS made when I told them I was cancelling. I suppose I'll be screwed again when Comcast gets around to buying RCN.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#321996 - 02/15/14 12:24 AM

> http://www.businessinsider.com/comcast-to-buy-time-warner-cable-2014-2

This doesn't make my decision to switch things around any easier. I am paying separate companies right now for everything-
Internet: Comcast (no issues at all with them)
TV: DirecTV
Home and mobile phones: AT&T

If it was up to me I would drop home phone altogether and switch TV to Netflix. However, I am getting flak from the other household member who doesn't even want me to consider U-Verse because it doesn't have the Hallmark channels. No way I could get away with Netflix. The choices I have are Comcast for Internet and TV (can't touch the AT&T phone even though she's paying $60-70 a month on it alone), U-Verse for everything despite the Hallmark thing (phone would switch to digital, but would still technically be AT&T), or WOW for internet and phone. At least I think WOW is still an option- haven't received door-hangings from them for a long time now.

The trouble with anything is, I would save money for a year- and even get $250 back from AT&T if I go with that- but afterward the bill would be back up almost to where it was, maybe a $10-15/mo savings. Comcast only offers $50 back as a current internet customer, doesn't have DVR standard like U-Verse, but at least I would keep my current email addresses. Either Comcast or AT&T seem to be steps up over DirecTV on extras though, like streaming.

I have not yet looked into WOW, but I am reading things about them overselling what they can handle, which would explain the lack of advertising lately.

What I will probably end up doing unless I can be talked out of it is go for two years with Comcast double play, and in the meantime switch email over the two years to something outside of the ISP like gmail or outlook (already have a gmail account, though I don't use it for much). Understand that I have had my Comcast email addresses for a very long time now and so switching will take some time. After two years, check out the options again.

Edit: forgot to mention I am in the Chicago market- I'm pretty sure I don't live too far from italie

Edited by Qun Mang (02/15/14 12:26 AM)

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: Qun Mang]
#322008 - 02/15/14 06:06 AM

Last time I lived in the US, it was for only 3 years. It didn't take me long at all to shitcan Comcast in favor of DirecTV. DirecTV has had an "on demand" service for years now, haven't they? Are you saying it doesn't work very well?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: Qun Mang]
#322014 - 02/15/14 07:03 AM

> ...I am getting flak from the other household member who doesn't even want me
> to consider U-Verse because it doesn't have the Hallmark channels.

Living with your mom, eh?

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: URherenow]
#322015 - 02/15/14 07:47 AM

> Last time I lived in the US, it was for only 3 years. It didn't take me long at all
> to shitcan Comcast in favor of DirecTV. DirecTV has had an "on demand" service for
> years now, haven't they? Are you saying it doesn't work very well?

Didn't even realize it, but you're right. The problem is this: "To start enjoying DIRECTV On Demand, you just need an HD DVR connected to the Internet†" Already paying over $80 a month for basic decoders and no premium channels (don't care about movie channels anyway). HD decoder is extra, as is the HD service that is required with the decoder. How about one charge for the HD service and through in the box since you're already charging extra? In fact, in this day and age how about including both as standard? I can't even hook up these cheap SD boxes to my HDTV with anything other than 240p (or is it 360p?) video- that is a downgrade from 480p svideo to an older CRT TV.

Anyway, this just makes my point of the need to consolidate under one service at least for internet and TV. DirecTV goes with nothing so it has to change.

Possible problem with U-Verse- it sounds like the TV takes bandwidth from the internet service- so the more you have going (say, watching one show and recording a couple others), the less you have for internet. I don't know how much bandwidth it takes, but the internet tiers are already lower it seems from Comcast. Does XFinity use internet bandwidth as well? I'm not talking about on demand/streaming, just normal programming.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: DMala]
#322016 - 02/15/14 08:01 AM

> > ...I am getting flak from the other household member who doesn't even want me
> > to consider U-Verse because it doesn't have the Hallmark channels.
>
> Living with your mom, eh?

As a matter of fact, my father passed away from cancer 15 years ago. She should be living with someone at her age, why not me? My grandmother lives with my uncle. It's not easy, especially in the economy over the last several years, for everyone to have separate homes.

And before you ask, no I do not live in the basement and yes, I hold a steady (if not very high paying) job (and does not involve retail, food preparation, or janitorial duties).

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#322017 - 02/15/14 08:09 AM

Well, a FIOS service that includes TV, Internet, and Phone is ideal, but I've never lived where I could get it. In the absence of FIOS, I still like DirecTV over Comcrap.

No matter what service I get, I always get the HD box(es) and have always had to pay a bit extra for it. I simply can't stand low def anymore. Makes your points null and void from my perspective.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: URherenow]
#322018 - 02/15/14 08:21 AM

> Well, a FIOS service that includes TV, Internet, and Phone is ideal, but I've never
> lived where I could get it. In the absence of FIOS, I still like DirecTV over
> Comcrap.
>
> No matter what service I get, I always get the HD box(es) and have always had to pay
> a bit extra for it. I simply can't stand low def anymore. Makes your points null and
> void from my perspective.

All do charge a little extra, yes. But as I said, paying $75/mo for internet and another $80/mo for satellite that doesn't include premium channels (again: don't care about them, the point is the price) or HD boxes/service is ridiculous, so I am trying to go cheaper and consolidating service seems the best way. Is Xfinity cable really that much worse than DirecTV? I know their old analog service was crap, but their internet has always been great. U-Verse seems to overall be a better deal, but how is their internet these days?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#322019 - 02/15/14 08:31 AM

> As a matter of fact, my father passed away from cancer 15 years ago. She should be
> living with someone at her age, why not me? My grandmother lives with my uncle. It's
> not easy, especially in the economy over the last several years, for everyone to have
> separate homes.
>
> And before you ask, no I do not live in the basement and yes, I hold a steady (if not
> very high paying) job (and does not involve retail, food preparation, or janitorial
> duties).

Hey, I don't judge. I just thought it was funny that it's statistically impossible for someone who cares about the Hallmark channel to be anyone other than a mom.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: And I thought Time Warner Cable couldn't get any worse!?!?!?! new [Re: DMala]
#322020 - 02/15/14 08:37 AM

> > As a matter of fact, my father passed away from cancer 15 years ago. She should be
> > living with someone at her age, why not me? My grandmother lives with my uncle.
> It's
> > not easy, especially in the economy over the last several years, for everyone to
> have
> > separate homes.
> >
> > And before you ask, no I do not live in the basement and yes, I hold a steady (if
> not
> > very high paying) job (and does not involve retail, food preparation, or janitorial
> > duties).
>
> Hey, I don't judge. I just thought it was funny that it's statistically impossible
> for someone who cares about the Hallmark channel to be anyone other than a mom.

I would have thought women in general, but then I don't know much about the Hallmark channels.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#322027 - 02/15/14 01:47 PM

Its stories like this that make me glad I live in a country where there is a GENUINE choice of ISP.
Me, I like TPG (because I have been with them for so long) but if I wasn't attached to TPG, I would probably pick one of the ISPs in the iiNet group as I really like the way they do things.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#322073 - 02/16/14 10:17 AM

> Well, a FIOS service that includes TV, Internet, and Phone is ideal

That's what I've had for the past 1.5 years. The only thing I miss is Comcast's cable guide. The Fios one is horrible. What I hate about both of them though is they show you what's playing on channels you don't get.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1507