MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Running MAME on two displays without losing focus?
#321643 - 02/08/14 05:24 AM

Hey guys,

I am running MAME using two displays. Upon launching the emulator, the emulator goes into full screen mode on Display #2, while my main Windows desktop and apps remain on Display #1. This is how I deliberately have it set up and everything works great.

However, I would like to click away from the main MAME screen(Display #2) without having it lose focus, and keeping the mouse enabled so I can click on other things. Often times I'll be playing a game but suddenly get an email or something. In order to click away and read the email, with the way it works now, I'm required to Alt-Tab out of the MAME screen to make it minimize.

I want to simply click away from MAME, while keeping it running and showing on Display #2, while being able to click on Display #1 to access other programs. Is there a way to accomplish this, without having to run MAME in a window?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Running MAME on two displays without losing focus? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#321645 - 02/08/14 05:51 AM

> I want to simply click away from MAME, while keeping it running and showing on
> Display #2, while being able to click on Display #1 to access other programs. Is
> there a way to accomplish this, without having to run MAME in a window?

The only thing I can think of is disabling mouse input in mame.ini.

Not sure what will happen to MAME once you click on something and that takes focus.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Running MAME on two displays without losing focus? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#321651 - 02/08/14 06:49 AM

> Hey guys,
>
> I am running MAME using two displays. Upon launching the emulator, the emulator goes
> into full screen mode on Display #2, while my main Windows desktop and apps remain on
> Display #1. This is how I deliberately have it set up and everything works great.
>
> However, I would like to click away from the main MAME screen(Display #2) without
> having it lose focus, and keeping the mouse enabled so I can click on other things.
> Often times I'll be playing a game but suddenly get an email or something. In order
> to click away and read the email, with the way it works now, I'm required to Alt-Tab
> out of the MAME screen to make it minimize.
>
> I want to simply click away from MAME, while keeping it running and showing on
> Display #2, while being able to click on Display #1 to access other programs. Is
> there a way to accomplish this, without having to run MAME in a window?

It would be very handy, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It's not even a MAME thing, it has to do with how full screen mode works in Windows in general.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

The way I do this with one screen. new [Re: Outrun2006]
#321658 - 02/08/14 08:39 AM

Hit P to pause and then hit Windows button to where I can use the mouse out of MAME screen.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Running MAME on two displays without losing focus? new [Re: DMala]
#321682 - 02/08/14 09:01 PM

> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I am running MAME using two displays. Upon launching the emulator, the emulator
> goes
> > into full screen mode on Display #2, while my main Windows desktop and apps remain
> on
> > Display #1. This is how I deliberately have it set up and everything works great.
> >
> > However, I would like to click away from the main MAME screen(Display #2) without
> > having it lose focus, and keeping the mouse enabled so I can click on other things.
> > Often times I'll be playing a game but suddenly get an email or something. In order
> > to click away and read the email, with the way it works now, I'm required to
> Alt-Tab
> > out of the MAME screen to make it minimize.
> >
> > I want to simply click away from MAME, while keeping it running and showing on
> > Display #2, while being able to click on Display #1 to access other programs. Is
> > there a way to accomplish this, without having to run MAME in a window?
>
> It would be very handy, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It's not even a MAME
> thing, it has to do with how full screen mode works in Windows in general.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the replies guys. Yup, I figured this was the case DMala. Really not sure why Microsoft made Windows to behave this way. It does the same thing with standard PC games as well. Click away to another screen or window, and the game will auto-minimize and you lose sound.

I wonder if there's some sort of Windows hack utility or app that prevents apps, games and programs from losing focus when running on a second display, to keep running on the screen without minimizing and losing sound?

I'll try the Windows trick Dullaron.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1766