MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheCountRiggs
mancade
Reged: 02/05/14
Loc: Kitchener, ON Canada
Send PM

Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info?
#321468 - 02/05/14 12:05 PM Attachment: 20140202_114835.jpg 2037 KB (1 downloads)

Hi guys/gals please excuse my ignorance but I bought Area 51 , 4 weeks ago (my first arcade) and now I have 4 arcade units in my mancave or Mancade as I now like to call it. None the less and straight to the point I have purchased 1975 Avenger by Electra and it's very close to working. (All the background and enemy jets shows up and moves across the screen but the players jet,firepower and score doesn't. Drop in your quarter and hit start and the sounds come on the clouds and jets fly by but thats all that is on the screen, controls all seem to work as well)

So you have a member on here gregf, I believe, who purchases hard to find manuals schematics and boards. On one of his post he mentions having this exact PROM info I need to complete this project. Now this is a VERY rare game and I could potentially have the only fully functional one left if I can get this info. Why is this illegal and considered annoying to PM someone and ask this favor. This would be SOOO cool to get going. I finally find the missing link and now I can't access it. Please explain or HELP ME understand.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlrnFLl4eTM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video of the machine turned on if it interest you folks

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

1975 Avenger -Electra
1992 Stree Fighter 2 - Capcom
1995 Area 51 - Atari
2000 Police 911 - Konami

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info? new [Re: TheCountRiggs]
#321469 - 02/05/14 12:27 PM

Yes. Another 1970s non-cpu game. :-)

>Why is this illegal and considered annoying to PM someone and ask this favor. Please explain or HELP ME understand.

It is when posts ask where to find game roms. This goes back to late 1990s when a lot of web sites were closed or targeted during early years of emulation so what many sites have done is have policy of users not post questions of asking where roms can be found and downloaded. Back then there would always be posts asking where to find roms for CPS-2 games etc.

MAMEWorld founders KC and RocLobsta continued the same policy that the old MAME.net (Santeri S.) and Retrogames.com web sites have used long ago. It minimizes the odds of web sites from being targeted by corporate law firms finding a reason to close a web site.

>None the less and straight to the point I have purchased 1975 Avenger by Electra and
>it's very close to working. (All the background and enemy jets shows up and moves
>across the screen but the players jet,firepower and score doesn't. Drop in your quarter
>and hit start and the sounds come on the clouds and jets fly by but thats all that is
>on the screen, controls all seem to work as well)

>So you have a member on here gregf, I believe, who purchases hard to find manuals
>schematics and boards. On one of his post he mentions having this exact PROM info I
>need to complete this project. Now this is a VERY rare game and I could potentially
>have the only fully functional one left if I can get this info. This would be SOOO cool
>to get going. I finally find the missing link and now I can't access it.

I would like to see it be working as well although I wasn't a fan of the game way back then during mid 1970s. I watched others play the game.

The Electra games are now being documented in MAME source code since non-cpu emulation is in its early stages. Send a message my way because it would be good to see it in working shape. It could be more than a prom issue, but if you tested and determined all the other chips are in working shape, then I guess that would be it.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info? new [Re: TheCountRiggs]
#321495 - 02/05/14 10:10 PM

> Why is this illegal
> and considered annoying to PM someone and ask this favor. This would be SOOO cool to
> get going. I finally find the missing link and now I can't access it. Please explain
> or HELP ME understand.

It's not illegal to ask, but if mameworld allows someone to post links to roms then they could be charged with contributory infringement.

People are told not to ask because it's annoying to tell them they can't ask for rom links, plus it's usually so easy to find them online that they can't have tried very hard.

You're saying you want ROM/PROM info though, so I'm not sure what you want exactly. If it's something from a manual then I can't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

Edited by smf (02/05/14 10:15 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info? new [Re: ]
#321496 - 02/05/14 10:43 PM

>plus it's usually so easy to find them online that they can't have tried very hard.

For the non-cpu stuff, not the case, but that will be changing soon. :-)

>You're saying you want ROM/PROM info though, so I'm not sure what you want exactly. If
>it's something from a manual then I can't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

I have Electra Avenger manual and logic schematics. So something will make its way there and maybe the cab will be eventually restored to a full working state.

The only issue is for some odd reason it seems Electra does not include a page of logic schematics for any of their audio/sound effect boards for games like Avenger or Flying Fortress. They have the other pcbs that include logic schematics, but none of the separate audio boards.

It's equivalent of 1970s era Meadows games where only the service manuals can be found, but good luck trying to find any of the D size blue print sheets of logic schematics for those 1970s era Meadows games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Electra Avenger new [Re: TheCountRiggs]
#321498 - 02/05/14 10:56 PM Attachment: electraavengerpcbs.jpg 579 KB (4 downloads)

>Video of the machine turned on if it interest you folks

Thanks for video clip.

flyer of Electra Games Avenger

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1795

The rom names shown on pcb layout page have a six digit number 106069-A

I don't know if the roms have labels on them or if the number is printed on the roms, but the printed pcb layout page shows the numbers as such. rom name updating is needed to match what is printed on the pcb layout page.

src/mame/drivers/electra.c

url.l10 --> 106069-A
url.d10 --> 106072-1
url.g10 --> 106072-2
url.h10 --> 106072-3

Avenger uses one main logic board, but there are loads of separate component boards all over the back interior of the cab. There is a board that controls the lamps output. A relay board that passes coin credit status to main logic board and the sound system boards ...just nuts trying to see this all emulated. Anyone want to really emulate this game? *kidding*

As posted, Electra did not include a separate page of logic schematics for audio. Maybe it might be in one of the 4 pages for main board, but I doubt it.

Attachment

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info? new [Re: gregf]
#321499 - 02/05/14 10:58 PM

> > plus it's usually so easy to find them online that they can't have tried very hard.
>
> For the non-cpu stuff, not the case, but that will be changing soon. :-)

AFAIK the dumps we're adding soon have been publicly available for a long time. In the case of roms that aren't supported by MAME then asking here is rather pointless because the majority of people wouldn't even know.

For bringing a board back to life then you're better off starting a blog and asking for help on that and then point people here to it. There are people interested in discrete games, but I doubt they'd hang out in an emulation forum.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Electra Avenger new [Re: gregf]
#321500 - 02/05/14 11:01 PM Attachment: electraavengerpotssettings.jpg 585 KB (1 downloads)

Here are the various pot adjuster settings for Electra's Avenger....lots of them.

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info? new [Re: ]
#321501 - 02/05/14 11:12 PM

>>For the non-cpu stuff, not the case, but that will be changing soon.

>AFAIK the dumps we're adding soon have been publicly available for a long time. In the
>case of roms that aren't supported by MAME then asking here is rather pointless because
>the majority of people wouldn't even know.

Correct. They might stumble upon them though. ;-)

I have a few more boards to take and get them dumped including Digital Games Air Combat pcb.

>For bringing a board back to life then you're better off starting a blog and asking for
>help on that and then point people here to it. There are people interested in discrete
>games, but I doubt they'd hang out in an emulation forum.

Used to be a lot more older folks like myself around here that grew up playing many of the games during 1970s, but most have moved on to other interests. Understandable and that's the way it goes. I am glad there is a better chance now more than ever knowing the games are being preserved even if they don't impress younger generation.

If Clean Sweep and Atari Highway can be emulated this year, I will be a happy camper about that. I liked Atari Highway back in the days until many of the arcades in my area replaced Highway with Night Driver which really bummed me out because Highway became extinct by fall of 1976 at arcades I went to back then in mid 1970s.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Why is it illegal to ask for ROM/PROM info? new [Re: gregf]
#321504 - 02/06/14 01:24 AM

> Used to be a lot more older folks like myself around here that grew up playing many
> of the games during 1970s, but most have moved on to other interests.

Even if they are still interested in bronze age games then they wouldn't hang out here because they aren't emulated. It will be interesting to see how much interest there is one they are added.

I don't remember many discrete games, I never had any money back then. I don't have a pc that will be fast enough either.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Electra Avenger new [Re: gregf]
#321505 - 02/06/14 01:31 AM

> Here are the various pot adjuster settings for Electra's Avenger....lots of them.

Is this game not dump for MAME? I can't find it listed on MAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Electra Avenger new [Re: Dullaron]
#321511 - 02/06/14 10:49 AM

> > Here are the various pot adjuster settings for Electra's Avenger....lots of them.
>
> Is this game not dump for MAME? I can't find it listed on MAME.

It's dumped, but it doesn't have a CPU so it's not been added yet. It's likely it will be added soon, but still won't do anything until a netlist is created.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Electra Avenger new [Re: ]
#321512 - 02/06/14 12:03 PM

> > > Here are the various pot adjuster settings for Electra's Avenger....lots of them.
>
> >
> > Is this game not dump for MAME? I can't find it listed on MAME.
>
> It's dumped, but it doesn't have a CPU so it's not been added yet. It's likely it
> will be added soon, but still won't do anything until a netlist is created.

actually, it's been added a couple of days ago, but it's just a placeholder skeleton to make easier to find the roms when netlist code will be ready to handle roms

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2742