MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Shadow Dancer, higher difficulty and demo (bug?)
#320459 - 01/17/14 12:28 AM

So I was trying to play a no shuriken run in Shadow Dancer on the highest difficulty , when it went to show the demo (what to press on the controller to move and to control the dog), but he gets killed when he encounters the first guy that throws a knife - and thus not demonstrating the moves that you'd normally see if the difficulty was on normal.

I'll change the difficulty to medium (or hard instead of very hard) to see if it does the same thing.

eta: Instead of dying by the knife throwing guy the guy with the gun shoots him. So he last a few more seconds longer.

edit2?: Even with it on easy... Well, let me put it this way; Normal difficulty seems to be the only setting where the demo isn't cut short by an early death.

I don't know if it would act the same on real hardware. If it does act this way then you'd think SEGA didn't test this game too well.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (01/17/14 01:06 AM)

LEVEL-4

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Shadow Dancer, highest difficulty and demo (bug?) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#320461 - 01/17/14 01:09 AM

> So I was trying to play a no shuriken run in Shadow Dancer on the highest difficulty
> , when it went to show the demo (what to press on the controller to move and to
> control the dog), but he gets killed when he encounters the first guy that throws a
> knife - and thus not demonstrating the moves that you'd normally see if the
> difficulty was on normal.
>
>
> I'll change the difficulty to medium (or hard instead of very hard) to see if it does
> the same thing.
>
> eta: Instead of dying by the knife throwing guy the guy with the gun shoots him. So
> he last a few more seconds longer.

In my experience in testing the demonstration play doesn't always show the same results with each difficulty chosen which would make sense to me if the game was coded to have a certain path and expect a normal default state, certain timing.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Shadow Dancer, higher difficulty and demo (bug?) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#320480 - 01/17/14 05:57 PM

> I don't know if it would act the same on real hardware. If it does act this way then
> you'd think SEGA didn't test this game too well.

Attract mode is usually just the equivalent of MAME playing back an .INP; no AI is involved and so if you change the enemy AI it will "desync". (Some games force attract to play at a specific difficulty to get around this, but enough don't that this is kind of a trope).

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#320490 - 01/17/14 10:48 PM

> I don't know if it would act the same on real hardware. If it does act this way then
> you'd think SEGA didn't test this game too well.

You would need to show that it didn't act like this on real hardware before anyone will do anything.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Shadow Dancer, higher difficulty and demo (bug?) new [Re: ]
#320491 - 01/17/14 11:24 PM

> > I don't know if it would act the same on real hardware. If it does act this way
> then
> > you'd think SEGA didn't test this game too well.
>
> You would need to show that it didn't act like this on real hardware before anyone
> will do anything.

I wasn't sure if that's what it (the real hardware) did or not. I just assumed it was a bug since it seems odd to me that a demo wouldn't be programmed to match the difficulty the game is set at. But if that's a pretty normal thing (an actual "trope") then - whatever. No big deal. At least I learned something new.

LEVEL-4

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#320503 - 01/18/14 02:10 AM

> I wasn't sure if that's what it (the real hardware) did or not. I just assumed it was
> a bug since it seems odd to me that a demo wouldn't be programmed to match the
> difficulty the game is set at.

It is odd. We used to track stuff like this on mametesters.org, but there are two possible outcomes:

1. the board acts in the same way to MAME

2. the board acts in a different way, but we need to know how it acts & figure out why MAME doesn't do that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 532 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1184