--

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Haze's UME 0.152ex2 new [Re: gregf]
#320451 - 01/16/14 08:42 PM

As for pong, pong.zip will be changed when .153 of MAME is released, so make sure to run only "pongf" since it does not rely using an external zip file. This way it will be possible to try couriersud's latest fixes and improvements for pong.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

#320456 - 01/16/14 10:22 PM

Should discrete circuit games be listed anyway by default in MAME's official build menu?

...or at least consider including Pong by default in the menu as I assume it's licence & ROM free

Edited by zambr (01/16/14 10:29 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Haze's UME 0.152ex2 new [Re: zambr]
#320458 - 01/16/14 10:52 PM

>Should discrete circuit games be listed anyway by default in MAME's official build menu?
>...or at least consider including Pong by default in the menu as I assume it's licence &
>ROM free

As for the question about any non-cpu game that uses no roms or proms, it would still be treated as an external netlist file that runs the circuit functions that are on an actual pcb (ie: chips on an Atari Breakout pcb etc.) So it would still be treated like a rom even though it is actually pcb circuit functions and not data that is stored in a chip.

--
GAME( 1972, pong, 0, pong, pong, driver_device, 0, ROT0, "Atari", "Pong (Rev E)", GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

ROM_LOAD( "pong.netlist", 0x000000, 0x004400, CRC(64edd5a0) )
--

The reason I posted about the pongf explanation is so users will know there is nothing wrong with Haze's latest UME build if remembering to use pongf rather than pong.zip at this time since the external netlist file has already been updated to .153 whenever .153 is released in the future.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#320464 - 01/17/14 04:02 AM

I suspect that the data in the netlist files isn't covered by copyright, though. At least, as I understand it, at the time of Pong's release, many companies made exact duplicates of the hardware with no consequences.

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

Re: Haze's UME 0.152ex2 new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#320465 - 01/17/14 04:16 AM

Yes, the games "Pong" and "Space Invaders" weren't copyrighted (couldn't be?) because they were so simple. Only the names were copyrighted, so many companies made near exact clones with different names. They are the only arcade games with not copyrighted gameplay that I know of.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Haze's UME 0.152ex2 new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#320466 - 01/17/14 04:40 AM

> Yes, the games "Pong" and "Space Invaders" weren't copyrighted (couldn't be?) because
> they were so simple. Only the names were copyrighted, so many companies made near
> exact clones with different names. They are the only arcade games with not
> copyrighted gameplay that I know of.

You really don't understand copyright, trademark and patent law.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Haze's UME 0.152ex2 new [Re: zambr]
#320485 - 01/17/14 08:27 PM

> Should discrete circuit games be listed anyway by default in MAME's official build
> menu?
>
> ...or at least consider including Pong by default in the menu as I assume it's
> licence & ROM free

MAMEDEV's solution to this was "make MAME require an external file that users have to acquire" - aka the Pong netlist contained in Pong.zip. It was the generally agreed-upon design, and couriersud implemented it.

The theory is - if there IS anything to these ancient games that can be patented, the logic of which will be contained in these external netlist files that users need to acquire much like ROMs, rather than inside MAME proper.

It's still very much an artificial dependency - as you say, there are no ROMs and there is no "netlist" file in the original game, the netlist is just another depiction of the schematics, how the components are connected. It could be completely contained within MAME if desired. Also, the format of the netlist file is defined by MAME.

(But it's such a format that couriersud is planning on creating utilities to convert from MAME netlist (a dedicated format) to SPICE (a general-purpose discrete circuit simulation program) and back, etc.)

The end result though is that MAME's emulation is a discrete circuitry simulation engine that executes netlist files, and eventually there will be other netlist files that can be executed by MAME.

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

What. *nt* new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#320486 - 01/17/14 08:36 PM

> Yes, the games "Pong" and "Space Invaders" weren't copyrighted (couldn't be?) because
> they were so simple. Only the names were copyrighted, so many companies made near
> exact clones with different names. They are the only arcade games with not
> copyrighted gameplay that I know of.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2630