MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

Any info on this Pong clone?!?!?!?
#320212 - 01/11/14 10:23 PM Attachment: $_57.JPG 128 KB (4 downloads)

I won this on Ebay and just received it.

On the board it says, "Magnetic Corporation of America," but nothing really comes up in Google.

I know I've seen pictures of this board with the little auxiliary board somewhere before.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Any info on this Pong clone?!?!?!? new [Re: PokeMAME]
#320296 - 01/12/14 10:04 PM

> I won this on Ebay and just received it.
>
> On the board it says, "Magnetic Corporation of America," but nothing really comes up
> in Google.
>
> I know I've seen pictures of this board with the little auxiliary board somewhere
> before.

More appropriate in Emu Chat actually!

The only game I know named "Tournament Table" is from Atari, but doesn't seem to look anything like the PCB I've seen. So far, I'm a bit mystified as to what this is... I can tell you that it's not in my list of discrete games, but that could merely mean that it's undiscovered.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Pong clone - Tournament Table new [Re: PokeMAME]
#320532 - 01/19/14 12:32 AM Attachment: williamspaddleballpage1.jpg 552 KB (0 downloads)

>I know I've seen pictures of this board with the little auxiliary board somewhere before.

I am certain this was posted on emuchat forum a few years ago when TNT Amusements had a cocktail table Tournament Table listed on ebay as a buy-it-now option. It was already sold before anyone could find out the exact name of the company that marketed the game.

One of the photos on the ebay buy-it-now listing of Tournament Table showed a closeup of pcb (seated inside the cocktail table) with all its adjustable pots and it matches the same model that you won there.

The smaller board's function likely operates in same manner as the game function select board that is used with URL's Video Action. The board gets the data from the external button and switch select options that a player chooses before game begins. The board then sends the data to the main logic board and the main logic board loads up the desired game and the difficulty settings, and the number of players etc. as play begins.

>On the board it says, "Magnetic Corporation of America," but nothing really comes up in Google.

I thought it may have been related to Magnavox, but I don't believe so. Magnetic Corporation of America was also involved with Williams Paddle Ball....see bottom right of page 1 of Williams Paddle Ball stapled instructions sheet.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=590&page=1#964

I am not sure if that may have been a predecessor name for the videogames division department of Williams or if Magnetic Corporation of America was manufacturing pcbs for various game companies like URL was doing for Allied Leisure, Electra and Stern etc.

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Pong clone - Tournament Table new [Re: gregf]
#320563 - 01/19/14 06:43 PM

> > On the board it says, "Magnetic Corporation of America," but nothing really comes up
> in Google.

Woulda guessed Magnetic Corporation made magnets or electromagnets, and that's what Google results seem to imply. Strange.

- Stiletto

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

Here's a scan of the label... new [Re: gregf]
#321022 - 01/28/14 05:03 AM Attachment: Tournament Table label.jpg 58 KB (0 downloads)

Attachment

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

Re: Here's a scan of the aux board... new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321023 - 01/28/14 05:09 AM Attachment: Tournament Table aux board.jpg 85 KB (0 downloads)

Attachment

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

Re: Here's a partial scan of the main board... new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321024 - 01/28/14 05:11 AM Attachment: Tournament Table board.jpg 217 KB (0 downloads)

Pretty impressive job of soldering the wire-wrap wire from the edge connector to the board!

Attachment

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

Re: Here's a picture of the main board... new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321025 - 01/28/14 05:26 AM Attachment: IMG_2684.JPG 158 KB (0 downloads)

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Pong clone - Tournament Table new [Re: Stiletto]
#321027 - 01/28/14 05:46 AM

> > > On the board it says, "Magnetic Corporation of America," but nothing really comes
> up
> > in Google.
>
> Woulda guessed Magnetic Corporation made magnets or electromagnets, and that's what
> Google results seem to imply. Strange.
>
> - Stiletto

A 2007 eBay auction included a "generic Pong clone" by "Magnetic Corp.".
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/huge-lot-arcade-game-pcbs-nintendo-nichibutsu

A game named "Electromotion" by "Magnetic Corp." can be seen in the Kurz-Kasch test fixture list:
http://www.rossiters.com/games/kk-list.txt
http://www.flippers.com/kurzkasc.html

- Stiletto

astrp3
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/03/12
Send PM

Re: Any info on this Pong clone?!?!?!? new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321034 - 01/28/14 08:18 AM Attachment: June 75 PM.JPG 58 KB (2 downloads)

Attached is an ad for the game from the June 1975 issue of Play Meter.
I also found a want ad for another game from the company from the June 20, 1977 issue of same, but couldn't find any other reference to it.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

astrp3
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/03/12
Send PM

Re: Any info on this Pong clone?!?!?!? new [Re: astrp3]
#321035 - 01/28/14 08:19 AM Attachment: 6 20 77 PM ad.JPG 30 KB (1 downloads)

And here's the want ad.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

Thank you, astrp3 and Stiletto... new [Re: astrp3]
#321045 - 01/28/14 07:10 PM

That's at least some info to go on!

The board came with a coin slot with mech and a wiring harness but no controllers or buttons. Seeing the cabinet configuration will help to trace the edge connector pinouts!

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Thank you, astrp3 and Stiletto... new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321048 - 01/28/14 07:58 PM

> That's at least some info to go on!
>
> The board came with a coin slot with mech and a wiring harness but no controllers or
> buttons. Seeing the cabinet configuration will help to trace the edge connector
> pinouts!

I think also helpful would be to determine what board/game it is actually a clone of.

Sly DC/Sylvain D.C. has an interesting, if stalled, database project (actually looks like intended to become an emulator project). But they tried to list what games fell into what categories.
http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/project/lovecade/lovemame.htm

Quote:

3 Games in 1:
- Combo (DGI)
- Fascination
- Grand Slam VIII
- Robot Volly (VTI)
- Soccer Trio (WWE)
- Sportsman (Westlake)
- Super Soccer (Westlake)
- Table Tennis II (Nutting)
- Video Action (URL-Electra)
- Video Action 2 (URL)

Maybe that will help, I am unsure.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Pong clone - Tournament Table new [Re: Stiletto]
#321064 - 01/28/14 10:40 PM

>A 2007 eBay auction included a "generic Pong clone" by "Magnetic Corp.".

As I may have mentioned elsewhere in the thread, there was a thread on emuchat forum a few years ago when TNT Amusements had listed a Tournament Table pong cocktail table. They had already sold the table by the time it was first noticed.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Here's a picture of the main board... new [Re: PokeMAME]
#321065 - 01/28/14 10:45 PM

That is going to be a truckload of work for tracing out all the circuits in case logic schematics can not be found anywhere. The closest to that would be URL's Video Action cocktail table pong clone. I don't know if any of the circuits would be the same between the two games, but there may be.

Good to see Keith has helped you with this.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Thank you, astrp3 and Stiletto... new [Re: Stiletto]
#321068 - 01/28/14 10:52 PM

>Sly DC/Sylvain D.C. has an interesting, if stalled, database project (actually looks
> like intended to become an emulator project). But they tried to list what games fell
> into what categories.

There was a Video Action II? The URL flyer that Dan H. had scanned for TAFA did have different cocktail table models for Video Action. I am not sure there was a Video Action II table.

Anyway, I do have schematics for Video Action ...and actually same with Johns Jukes.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Any info on this Pong clone?!?!?!? new [Re: astrp3]
#321069 - 01/28/14 10:56 PM

>And here's the want ad.

Great catch seeing that. And also a "Battle of Midway"? I wonder if the seller is incorrect or if it did exist, then maybe a flyer or paperwork is yet to be found.

Sly DC
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/15/14
Send PM

Re: Thank you, astrp3 and Stiletto... new [Re: gregf]
#322013 - 02/15/14 07:00 AM

Hi there folks,

I was browsing for discrete logic arcade games new information and stumbled upon this forum. To reply to the URL Video Action 2...This one never came out even if it's listed on KLOV. More like a typo thing and even more, KLOV list the Video Action 2 by UPL and in fact, it is URL.

My database hasn't been updated for quite a time and really is in need for an update (corrections/new names/etc...). I've have put this database on hold since DICE has been making a lot of great progress (can't wait for version 0.8!!).

Anyhow, please continue the great work here! We need to simulate/emulate all pre-CPU arcades for historical puspose.

--- Sly DC ---

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Thank you, astrp3 and Stiletto... new [Re: Sly DC]
#322024 - 02/15/14 12:29 PM

> I was browsing for discrete logic arcade games new information and stumbled upon this
> forum. To reply to the URL Video Action 2...This one never came out even if it's
> listed on KLOV. More like a typo thing and even more, KLOV list the Video Action 2 by
> UPL and in fact, it is URL.

Errr. No. It looks like it came out.

The information you want is here:
astrp3's exhaustive research: http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2013/11/urls-video-action-first-us-consumer.html
Also:
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=5115
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=278682
http://www.pong-story.com/url.htm

The question really isn't "was there a Video Action II" (answer: yes there was, it was a home console, with an advertised also available coin-op version of the console) but rather "has anyone currently come across the advertised coin-op version of the console" (answer: no, so it's possible it was never produced except for appearing in the advertisement), "was there a predecessor called simply Video Action" (answer: seems that way) and "was the first Video Action available as a coin-op?" (answer: perhaps, debatable.) and "were any of the Video Action II's or its predecessor available in a classic cocktail table or upright cabinet design" (answer: not that we know of).

What causes the confusion is that Video Action II (VA-II), the coin-op version (VA-IIC), and the cocktail version called "Video Action" in the flyer (VA-T/VA-TC) are all the same game(s) (Tennis, Soccer, Hockey), and likely, all the same PCBs, just with different controls/speakers/displays/cabinets.

There's even a Kurz-Kasch test fixture card: http://www.flippers.com/kurzkasc.html
http://www.flippers.com/pdfs/KK-141A_B-VideoActionII.pdf
Which is good enough evidence for me that a coin-op version existed (unless the card is mislabeled for the cocktail instead). So this test fixture card is for either VA-TC or VA-IIC (or likely both).

We won't know more until collectors find more of these (if possible).

> My database hasn't been updated for quite a time and really is in need for an update
> (corrections/new names/etc...). I've have put this database on hold since DICE has
> been making a lot of great progress (can't wait for version 0.8!!).

Perhaps you'd be interested instead in joining the work at Discrete Logistics when it restarts (gregf and myself are both admins, as well as the original - well, second - Fever) - http://discrete.mameworld.info

> Anyhow, please continue the great work here! We need to simulate/emulate all pre-CPU
> arcades for historical puspose.

Yep. We help gather and submit useful info to DICE and MAME (MAME has Pong, may have some others before year end) for discrete simulation. So far, so good.

PS. Could someone please move this entire thread to EmuChat or Hardware/Arcade Cab?

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#322531 - 02/24/14 12:00 PM

>My database hasn't been updated for quite a time and really is in need for an update
>(corrections/new names/etc...). I've have put this database on hold since DICE has been
>making a lot of great progress. Anyhow, please continue the great work here! We need to
>simulate/emulate all pre-CPU arcades for historical puspose.

Whenever .153 is released, a fair number of non-cpu videogames will be finally documented within the source code of MAME thanks to etabeta's work and also couriersud doing continual improvements to netlist code in MAME. The various non-cpu entries could be considered skeleton-documentation form because of strictly documenting what the roms are (labels on roms etc.) described as according to Atari manuals and some logic schematics paperwork such as from Ramtek Clean Sweep. Emulation of the games, documented in MAME source code, will eventually happen later but it may be a while.

Good to know this section will eventually need to be updated and same thing for Discrete Logistics later.

--

Many video game arcades which are considered 'Discrete Logic" (they don't have a CPU) and will never be emulated in M.A.M.E. (click HERE to learn about the M.A.M.E. emulator) since M.A.M.E. emulates games that only have a CPU. So this project is for simulating these video arcade games for digital archival and historical purpose.

There is more or less than 300 Discrete logic arcade games that will never be emulated in M.A.M.E., but some few are emulated (rather simulated) in MisfitMAME like Atari Pong and Sega Monaco GP. Some discrete logic video game arcades uses ROMS/EPROMS for detailed graphics/characters, some of these ROMS/EPROMS are "dumped" and are available somewhere on the internet.
--

>(can't wait for version 0.8!!).

Atari/Kee Games Crossfire, now emulated in DICE, can be considered a challenge of belonging to which category.

Sly DC
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/15/14
Send PM

Re: Thank you, astrp3 and Stiletto... new [Re: gregf]
#322642 - 02/26/14 09:56 PM

> > My database hasn't been updated for quite a time and really is in need for an update
> >(corrections/new names/etc...). I've have put this database on hold since DICE has
> been
> > making a lot of great progress. Anyhow, please continue the great work here! We need
> to
> > simulate/emulate all pre-CPU arcades for historical puspose.
>
>
> Whenever .153 is released, a fair number of non-cpu videogames will be finally
> documented within the source code of MAME thanks to etabeta's work and also
> couriersud doing continual improvements to netlist code in MAME. The various non-cpu
> entries could be considered skeleton-documentation form because of strictly
> documenting what the roms are (labels on roms etc.) described as according to Atari
> manuals and some logic schematics paperwork such as from Ramtek Clean Sweep.
> Emulation of the games, documented in MAME source code, will eventually happen later
> but it may be a while.
>
>
> Good to know this section will eventually need to be updated and same thing for
> Discrete Logistics later.

Indeed, i will update it in the following weeks to come (when i will have a good amount of spare time) or be part of Discrete Logistics team.

> --
> http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/project/lovecade/lovemame.htm
>
> Many video game arcades which are considered 'Discrete Logic" (they don't have a CPU)
> and will never be emulated in M.A.M.E. (click HERE to learn about the M.A.M.E.
> emulator) since M.A.M.E. emulates games that only have a CPU. So this project is for
> simulating these video arcade games for digital archival and historical purpose.
>
> There is more or less than 300 Discrete logic arcade games that will never be
> emulated in M.A.M.E., but some few are emulated (rather simulated) in MisfitMAME like
> Atari Pong and Sega Monaco GP. Some discrete logic video game arcades uses
> ROMS/EPROMS for detailed graphics/characters, some of these ROMS/EPROMS are "dumped"
> and are available somewhere on the internet.
> --
>
>
> >(can't wait for version 0.8!!).
>
> Atari/Kee Games Crossfire, now emulated in DICE, can be considered a challenge of
> belonging to which category.

Now i will need to update this info about MAME since non-CPU arcades WILL eventually be part of it and as for dumps ROM/EPROMS, i found the web site in question about 2 years ago while making some research.

I tried it and i'm stumped to categorize it. The only category which would be in "misc". But my database on my HD is now categorized this way:

01A-Pong (2paddles-Tennis)
01B-Pong (4paddles-Tennis)
02A-Pong (2paddles-Hockey)
02B-Pong (4paddles-Hockey)
03-Pong (6-Bats-Soccer) (6 bats on screen or more)
04A-Pong-Multi(2 games)
04B-Pong-Multi(3 games)
04C-Pong-Multi(4 games)
04D-Pong-Multi(5 games or more)
05-Misc Pongs (Quadra/Volley-types)(now includes Crossfire)
06-Breakout (and clones)
07-Knock Out/Pinball (Clean Sweep/TV Pinball-types)
08A-Shooters (Light Gun)
08B-Shooters (Planes) (anything related with Planes)
08C-Shooters (Misc)
09-Racing (not finished doing sub-categories)
10-Various (everything else...)
11A-Unknown (Unknown status - DL or CPU?)
11B-Unknown (Unreleased/Prototypes)
11C-Unknown (To Identify) (various cocktail Pong clones...)
12-Kits & Cabinets

Now this way, i can find information much faster.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#322645 - 02/26/14 11:08 PM

>Indeed, i will update it in the following weeks to come (when i will have a good amount
>of spare time) or be part of Discrete Logistics team.

Okay. Sean (Fever's) home page description is out-of-date and it should be updated as well which it is on my to-do list.

> I tried it and i'm stumped to categorize it. The only category which would be
> in "misc". But my database on my HD is now categorized this way:

01A-Pong (2paddles-Tennis)
01B-Pong (4paddles-Tennis)
02A-Pong (2paddles-Hockey)
02B-Pong (4paddles-Hockey)
03-Pong (6-Bats-Soccer) (6 bats on screen or more)
04A-Pong-Multi(2 games)
04B-Pong-Multi(3 games)
04C-Pong-Multi(4 games)
04D-Pong-Multi(5 games or more)
05-Misc Pongs (Quadra/Volley-types)(now includes Crossfire)
06-Breakout (and clones)
07-Knock Out/Pinball (Clean Sweep/TV Pinball-types)
08A-Shooters (Light Gun)
08B-Shooters (Planes) (anything related with Planes)
08C-Shooters (Misc)
09-Racing (not finished doing sub-categories)
10-Various (everything else...)
11A-Unknown (Unknown status - DL or CPU?)
11B-Unknown (Unreleased/Prototypes)
11C-Unknown (To Identify) (various cocktail Pong clones...)
12-Kits & Cabinets

And there would be other categories in the "Various" section such as car racing games (Highway) and horse racing (Steeplechase).

When fart_flower had initially set up of Discrete Logistics web site in 2001, he simply categorized with manufacturers regardless of the type of game.

Fever liked that approach when he was allowed to update Discrete Logistics in 2003 and I kept it that way.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4084