View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

my stupid keyboard
#319803 - 01/05/14 01:05 AM

I assume these bugs are caused by my keyboard as they happen across emulators. The first one I have known for a long time, I call it the "North West" bug. When pressing D-pad up and left at the same time, no button can regester, making some games frustrating if not impossible. An example is not being able to shoot when going North West in "Bosconian". The bug only effects games that didn't originally use a keyboard, real and emulated computer games from various systems aren't effected.

The other bug was much more frustrating until today I realized "It's not a bug it's a feature.". It never happened until I got a computer with a new system (Windows 7), so that could explain the cause of it. When playing MAME or Kega Fusion, seemingly randomly, the screen would go black and I had to reboot to get out. I found out that by hitting escape many times I could exit, but the screen would be flipped sideways until I changed the setting in the computer menu. I realized that only some games did this, ones that often used left-ctrl, left-alt, and d-pad. In emulator or desktop, pushing ctrl, alt, and d-pad direction at once causes the screen to flip that direction. When the screen is flipped upside-down in MAME, I can see the game running normally, and when flipped sideways, it goes black, but I still hear it running normally. Are these bugs known to happen in MAME? If so, they might be the most crazy bugs ever.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: my stupid keyboard new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#319805 - 01/05/14 01:30 AM

Those aren't really MAME bugs, just consequences of MAME using keys that are also being used by your operating system.

Ctrl and Alt as the default keys for buttons may have made sense in the DOS days when nothing but the emulator itself was reading the keyboard, but in modern operating systems they're landmines since Ctrl + Alt + (some key) is very often used as a keyboard shortcut to switch applications, rotate/zoom the screen, etc.

The obvious solution is to change your key bindings. Or better yet, get a gamepad. A wired 360 or PS3 pad is pretty cheap and will only get cheaper now that the next generation of consoles is out.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#319813 - 01/05/14 03:32 AM

> I realized that only some games did
> this, ones that often used left-ctrl, left-alt, and d-pad. In emulator or desktop,
> pushing ctrl, alt, and d-pad direction at once causes the screen to flip that
> direction. When the screen is flipped upside-down in MAME, I can see the game running
> normally, and when flipped sideways, it goes black, but I still hear it running
> normally. Are these bugs known to happen in MAME? If so, they might be the most crazy
> bugs ever.

Nothing to do with MAME and not a bug, a feature.. as you said.

You can disable rotation by keyboard shortcut in the control panel for your on-board video.

S

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

Re: my stupid keyboard new [Re: AWJ]
#319817 - 01/05/14 03:44 AM

You both are right, I did find a solution is to change key mapping. I think it is a dangerous default mapping; until I had lots of practice, I used to lose games by accidentally hitting the windows key between the left-ctrl and left-alt. Any explanation for the "North West" bug?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#319821 - 01/05/14 05:44 AM

> Any explanation for the "North West" bug?

An issue with the way the scan matrix works in your keyboard. Nothing you can do besides buy a better keyboard.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: my stupid keyboard new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#319829 - 01/05/14 09:27 AM

> > Any explanation for the "North West" bug?
>
> An issue with the way the scan matrix works in your keyboard. Nothing you can do
> besides buy a better keyboard.

Yeah there is, he can remap the controls until it stops happening.

S

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#319836 - 01/05/14 12:42 PM

> You both are right, I did find a solution is to change key mapping. I think it is a
> dangerous default mapping; until I had lots of practice, I used to lose games by
> accidentally hitting the windows key between the left-ctrl and left-alt.

Again, with the video flipping, you should be able to turn that completely OFF. Go into the settings for your video driver. The guiltiest party is (an) historically Intel video drivers, so look specifically for that config utility.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1570