Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

"Brie fly?" seriously?
#319628 - 01/02/14 05:21 AM

Dammit, I don't want to just edit the user dictionary; I want to remove some of the trash you've put in the standard one! When I say "sue," I DO NOT mean "sooo!"

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: "Brie fly?" seriously? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#319629 - 01/02/14 05:24 AM

> Dammit, I don't want to just edit the user dictionary; I want to remove some of the
> trash you've put in the standard one! When I say "sue," I DO NOT mean "sooo!"

That's just your phone trying to get to know you better. Most relationships are like that in the beginning.

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: "Brie fly?" seriously? new [Re: Sune]
#319630 - 01/02/14 05:26 AM

> > Dammit, I don't want to just edit the user dictionary; I want to remove some of the
> > trash you've put in the standard one! When I say "sue," I DO NOT mean "sooo!"
>
> That's just your phone trying to get to know you better. Most relationships are like
> that in the beginning.
>
> S

Sure. If only I didn't need to say kwezz-a-dill-a.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#319633 - 01/02/14 05:41 AM

> > > Dammit, I don't want to just edit the user dictionary; I want to remove some of
> the
> > > trash you've put in the standard one! When I say "sue," I DO NOT mean "sooo!"
> >
> > That's just your phone trying to get to know you better. Most relationships are
> like
> > that in the beginning.
> >
> > S
>
> Sure. If only I didn't need to say kwezz-a-dill-a.

lol yeah then you'd be on your own. It's too bad Kitsune Sniper doesn't read the LoonyBin. Oh wait, he does. Just wait for him then for the rare occasions when you need to spell that.

Fun fact (yes it's really true): My ex-girlfriend's name is Kit. It's still weird for me when Kitsune posts.

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#319637 - 01/02/14 06:57 AM

> > > > Dammit, I don't want to just edit the user dictionary; I want to remove some of
> > the
> > > > trash you've put in the standard one! When I say "sue," I DO NOT mean "sooo!"
> > >
> > > That's just your phone trying to get to know you better. Most relationships are
> > like
> > > that in the beginning.
> > >
> > > S
> >
> > Sure. If only I didn't need to say kwezz-a-dill-a.
>
> lol yeah then you'd be on your own. It's too bad Kitsune Sniper doesn't read the
> LoonyBin. Oh wait, he does. Just wait for him then for the rare occasions when you
> need to spell that.
>
> Fun fact (yes it's really true): My ex-girlfriend's name is Kit. It's still weird for
> me when Kitsune posts.
>
> S
What rare? I eat quesadillas as often as won tons. "Wonton" isn't in the dictionary, but "won ton" is. Saying it still gives me "1 ton" or "Juan Tom" though. Phone has no problem with "Szechuan," of course, until I start getting frustrated with it insisting that I want an order of "Szechuan one Toms." "Such a 110?"

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#319641 - 01/02/14 08:22 AM

> What rare? I eat quesadillas as often as won tons. "Wonton" isn't in the dictionary,
> but "won ton" is. Saying it still gives me "1 ton" or "Juan Tom" though. Phone has no
> problem with "Szechuan," of course, until I start getting frustrated with it
> insisting that I want an order of "Szechuan one Toms." "Such a 110?"

Just think of it as entertainment. Or keep it simple and you might get some use out of it.

I brought back a used iPhone 3 for my wife's son early last year when I came back from the US. We had a hell of a time with the speech recognition googling stuff in Portuguese. It's a joke.

S

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#319789 - 01/04/14 08:10 PM

Living in Arizona, the proper spelling of "Quesadilla" came straight to mind. *sigh*

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#319792 - 01/04/14 08:13 PM

English is pretty much assured to be 1500% better than any other language for recognition on iPhone (and pretty much any other mobile device, now that I think about it), for obvious reasons.

Of course, the slurrier and faster your local dialect, the worse the reading gets.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#319797 - 01/04/14 10:50 PM Attachment: IMG_20140104_133536 (Large).jpg 52 KB (0 downloads)

> Fun fact (yes it's really true): My ex-girlfriend's name is Kit. It's still weird for
> me when Kitsune posts.
>
> S

Ha, yeah that sucks man.

Fun fact for me (completely unrelated to anything): I got a new guitar last night. Ovation Custom Balladeer A/E 1612, in great shape, with the original hardshell case... $200 on craigslist... killer deal... looks and plays just about the same as my old Ovation, but that was a '91 Legend 1717. Serial number dates this one being manufactured in the US between April and December 1978. I was too. May 1978 is my birthday. Though technically I guess I was manufactured about 9 or so months before that...

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: "Brie fly?" seriously? new [Re: snake78]
#319815 - 01/05/14 03:41 AM

> > Fun fact (yes it's really true): My ex-girlfriend's name is Kit. It's still weird
> for
> > me when Kitsune posts.
> >
> > S
>
> Ha, yeah that sucks man.
>
> Fun fact for me (completely unrelated to anything): I got a new guitar last night.
> Ovation Custom Balladeer A/E 1612, in great shape, with the original hardshell
> case... $200 on craigslist... killer deal... looks and plays just about the same as
> my old Ovation, but that was a '91 Legend 1717. Serial number dates this one being
> manufactured in the US between April and December 1978. I was too. May 1978 is my
> birthday. Though technically I guess I was manufactured about 9 or so months before
> that...

Humans tend to spend a little more time on the assembly line lol

Great deal and beautiful folksy-looking guitar. I like the inlays on the fretboard.

I want a steel string guitar too but prices are just too silly here in Brazil. I have a nylon string guitar, it sounds okay but you have to tune it all the time depending on where on the fretboard you are playing..it's too out of shape to get a good compromise-tune.
I don't know much about brands, I'm familiar with Ovation and Martin, those are supposed to be pretty good too. both brands probably make some not-so-great guitars as well, that's usually the case.

S

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Send PM

#319831 - 01/05/14 11:18 AM

> > Fun fact for me (completely unrelated to anything): I got a new guitar last night.
> > Ovation Custom Balladeer A/E 1612, in great shape, with the original hardshell
> > case... $200 on craigslist... killer deal... looks and plays just about the same as
> > my old Ovation, but that was a '91 Legend 1717. Serial number dates this one being
> > manufactured in the US between April and December 1978. I was too. May 1978 is my
> > birthday. Though technically I guess I was manufactured about 9 or so months before
> > that...
>
> Humans tend to spend a little more time on the assembly line lol
>
> Great deal and beautiful folksy-looking guitar. I like the inlays on the fretboard.
>
> I want a steel string guitar too but prices are just too silly here in Brazil. I have
> a nylon string guitar, it sounds okay but you have to tune it all the time depending
> on where on the fretboard you are playing..it's too out of shape to get a good
> compromise-tune.
> I don't know much about brands, I'm familiar with Ovation and Martin, those are
> supposed to be pretty good too. both brands probably make some not-so-great guitars
> as well, that's usually the case.
>
> S

The second guitar I ever bought was a nylon string guitar. It was the first that I learned any chords on. The thing that's tough with those is the wide fretboard. At least with the one I had. The first guitar I ever bought, I paid $75 brand new. Recommended by the music store owner. 30 day warranty. About 35 days later the bridge fell off. I was mad, and into Jimi Hendrix and the Who at the time, so I smashed it and saved the fretboard... figured I'd never learn to play. About 8 months later I got the itch again and went and bought the classical one for $150 used, at a different music store. It lasted me a good year or so, then I bought the Ovation Legend 1717 at the same store used for $350. That was Aug 1998.

I found a lot of good information at this site on Ovations:

https://www.google.com/#q=Ovation+tribute

The date my ovation page was helpful, and the ovation decoder.

I know from playing Ovations and Martins that every Martin I've played has sounded great and was built well. Ovations with the deep bowl sound great. I hear sounds on mine that I'm not playing sometimes... funny harmonics and stuff... The shallow bowls just don't get the same feel. And I never liked any of theirs with the odd sound holes either... But I've only really played any that I've found at the different music stores around, Guitar Center, and other local stores... There's a ton of different models and such... different woods, etc...

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#319832 - 01/05/14 11:35 AM

This must be a sign for me to mention this....

I recently bought a set of nylon strings. My intention was to put them on an acoustic guitar that had steel strings. But, from what research I've done, it looks like that might not be a good idea.

1) It uses bridge-pins and these strings don't have the metal loops in them, and...

2) I'm guessing the tuning pegs (or where the other end of the stings would go and wrap around) might make too much of a kink in the 3 highest (toned) strings - making them susceptible to breaking OR something on the posts would have to be modified to accommodate the thicker strings.

In your opinion/experience - is such a thing doable?

If ^those 2 or 3 hurdles are too much of an argument against stringing that guitar up with nylon strings then I guess I can buy a regular classical guitar... somewhere.

I did eye an el-cheapo make/model on amazon.com. That'd be a roll of the dice.

LEVEL-4

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Send PM

Re: "Brie fly?" seriously? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#319835 - 01/05/14 12:24 PM

> This must be a sign for me to mention this....
>
> I recently bought a set of nylon strings. My intention was to put them on an acoustic
> guitar that had steel strings. But, from what research I've done, it looks like that
> might not be a good idea.
>
> 1) It uses bridge-pins and these strings don't have the metal loops in them, and...
>
> 2) I'm guessing the tuning pegs (or where the other end of the stings would go and
> wrap around) might make too much of a kink in the 3 highest (toned) strings - making
> them susceptible to breaking OR something on the posts would have to be modified to
> accommodate the thicker strings.
>
>
> In your opinion/experience - is such a thing doable?
>
> If ^those 2 or 3 hurdles are too much of an argument against stringing that guitar up
> with nylon strings then I guess I can buy a regular classical guitar... somewhere.
>
> I did eye an el-cheapo make/model on amazon.com. That'd be a roll of the dice.

I've not tried to do it... but I agree with the top answer here:

http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/2997/can-i-use-nylon-with-steel-string-guitar

My first thought was that it would be alright, with my ovation, cause it doesn't use bridge pins, and I'm sure you could tie it, but the thing that would worry me with that is that the bridges on Ovations aren't nearly as sturdy as other brands, they're basically glued on the front, and I've had mine pop off taking some of the finish with it, and had to have it repaired. And as of now, my old Ovation Legend has the bridge just about ready to pop again... which is why I needed a new one...

With the bridge pins, though it would be tough to make the nylon string stay put when you're tightening the string. I've strung friend's guitars with bridge pins, and they're not really secure and tight until that little ball end gets locked in it.

On the tuning peg side, I wouldn't think it would be too big a deal. You'd just cut it so that a certain amount would wrap around. But like he said you could end up with tuning problems and slippage...

Why nylon strings? Fingers hurt? Mine are killing me tonight... 4 hour gig, the action is a little higher than I'm used to I think, so I was pressing down harder than normal... I'll get used to it... calluses build up quickly... Yours will too if you keep at it.

If that's not it, and you just want the soft nylon sound, I'd recommend against the el cheapo route... chances are there's a deal on a good used one somewhere that would beat the price of an el cheapo brand new guitar...

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#319837 - 01/05/14 12:55 PM

> Why nylon strings? Fingers hurt? Mine are killing me tonight... 4 hour gig, the
> action is a little higher than I'm used to I think, so I was pressing down harder
> than normal... I'll get used to it... calluses build up quickly... Yours will too if
> you keep at it.
>

It's been several years since I started taking guitar lessons. I got up to a point where I was learning finger picking (or trying to). Then I didn't practice much - which meant I was wasting money on lessons, so I quit (& I felt I learned enough for what I wanted to play the guitar for anyway). I mostly used an electric guitar, although I did have an acoustic (& still do)... Yeah, the steel strings did hurt my fingers.

I guess I'm getting interested in practicing again. I'll also (or would like to) learn to play the piano. I already know a few chords on that, and I'm thinking if I can better understand chords on the piano then I can use that for the guitar (I never really was that good at chords -- I'm more of a note player).

> If that's not it, and you just want the soft nylon sound, I'd recommend against the
> el cheapo route... chances are there's a deal on a good used one somewhere that would
> beat the price of an el cheapo brand new guitar...

Thanks for the advice.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#319845 - 01/05/14 06:38 PM

Even if you manage to get the nylon strings on, it's going to sound like ass. Steel string guitars have heavier bracing on the top, and the nylon strings won't generate enough energy to produce any kind of decent sound. The good news is that you're unlikely to cause any kind of damage if you try it. Putting steel strings on a nylon string guitar, on the other hand, will wreck it in pretty short order.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Bumping TriggerFin's only funny post ever new [Re: TriggerFin]
#332370 - 09/27/14 03:36 AM

> I eat quesadillas as often as won tons. "Wonton" isn't in the dictionary,
> but "won ton" is. Saying it still gives me "1 ton" or "Juan Tom" though. Phone has no
> problem with "Szechuan," of course, until I start getting frustrated with it
> insisting that I want an order of "Szechuan one Toms." "Such a 110?"

*lmao*

Driest mofo in the bin.

S

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Bumping TriggerFin's only funny post ever new [Re: Sune]
#332372 - 09/27/14 04:50 AM

> > I eat quesadillas as often as won tons. "Wonton" isn't in the dictionary,
> > but "won ton" is. Saying it still gives me "1 ton" or "Juan Tom" though. Phone has
> no
> > problem with "Szechuan," of course, until I start getting frustrated with it
> > insisting that I want an order of "Szechuan one Toms." "Such a 110?"
>
> *lmao*
>
> Driest mofo in the bin.
>
> S

This one was pretty good too, imho:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Sune
Connected
Send PM

lol definitely a close second_nt new [Re: jeremymtc]
#332373 - 09/27/14 05:01 AM

> This one was pretty good too, imho:
>
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

S

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#332533 - 09/30/14 03:12 AM Attachment: brie.jpg 31 KB (2 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

"Made in Tain?" (nt) new [Re: GatKong]
#332565 - 09/30/14 03:43 PM

That subject line wasn't easy using my phone.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2494