Pages: 1

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

MAME "sta" and "hash" folders...
#319456 - 12/30/13 04:45 AM

My cabinet is working just fine with MAME 0.152 x64. I compile my own build with high score support and I do not use HLSL at all as I am using an arcade monitor.

I noticed in my MAME folder structure and I noticed that I'm missing the "sta" and "hash" folders. Again, everything seems to be working fine, but I am wondering if I am missing features or anything critical by not having these folders in my setup. I'll make sure they are there when 0.153 comes out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: MAME "sta" and "hash" folders... new [Re: yoeddy]
#319461 - 12/30/13 05:25 AM

> My cabinet is working just fine with MAME 0.152 x64. I compile my own build with high
> score support and I do not use HLSL at all as I am using an arcade monitor.
>
> I noticed in my MAME folder structure and I noticed that I'm missing the "sta" and
> "hash" folders. Again, everything seems to be working fine, but I am wondering if I
> am missing features or anything critical by not having these folders in my setup.
> I'll make sure they are there when 0.153 comes out.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Currently for MAME, HASH isn't explicitly needed. It's part of the source, but mostly for MESS softlists and some preliminary attempts of using multi-slot PCB's in MAME such as ST-V and Mega-Tech.

STA is for STAtes .. as in save states. You won't need them if you don't use them.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

Re: MAME "sta" and "hash" folders... new [Re: Tafoid]
#319470 - 12/30/13 08:14 AM

Thanks! I also noticed a "web" folder. Is it needed for anything at this stage?

Jason

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MAME "sta" and "hash" folders... new [Re: yoeddy]
#319476 - 12/30/13 10:40 AM

It's useful if you wish to control your MAME/MESS with another device

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

That is.... new [Re: yoeddy]
#319733 - 01/03/14 09:15 PM

many people use baseline MAME, and may not know to 'turn on' save states. As it's an option in the UI versions (has been for aaages), it's PNC.

Save states is a mixed bag. It'll keep high scores up between game loadings, unless you reset (F3) the game. The current implementation apparently supercedes high score support, so resetting the game will lose the score.

Also, occasionally an issue with a game will be at least perpetuated by it's sta file, where in that will have to be deleted, often fixing the issue.

I use both because I like to see the score, and like the game to return the place I left off last.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: That is.... new [Re: Traso]
#319740 - 01/03/14 10:32 PM

you are mixing up save states with the autosave option

in both cases you get a .sta file inside the sta/ folder, but save states do not need any enabling in MAME/MESS, you just press Shift+F7 (by default, but you can remap it) and you are prompted with the possibility to save the state of your progresses

OTOH, autosave needs to be enabled (with the -autosave option, or in the mame.ini, or through the MAMEUI/frontend panels) and automatically saves the progresses when you quit

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: That is.... new [Re: etabeta]
#320073 - 01/10/14 06:03 AM

> you are mixing up save states with the autosave option
>
> in both cases you get a .sta file inside the sta/ folder, but save states do not need
> any enabling in MAME/MESS, you just press Shift+F7 (by default, but you can remap it)
> and you are prompted with the possibility to save the state of your progresses
>
> OTOH, autosave needs to be enabled (with the -autosave option, or in the mame.ini, or
> through the MAMEUI/frontend panels) and automatically saves the progresses when you
> quit

Oh, not exactly. I was focusing more on the elements of saving states that I feel are important. Occasionally I'll manually save a state, but that's only because I have to leave and want to return to the game later, versus continually returning or jumping to levels, etc.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2431