MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay?
#319114 - 12/22/13 03:05 AM

Didn't the original Sky Raider use a simple red gel/overlay over its black and white monitor? I just looked at the Mr. Do artwork page and didn't see any artwork for it. I saw a discussion earlier this year where it looked as though someone was working on bezels, etc. for this game in MAME but I would have thought the overlay would already exist.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay? new [Re: RPOR6V]
#319115 - 12/22/13 03:48 AM

> Didn't the original Sky Raider use a simple red gel/overlay over its black and white
> monitor? I just looked at the Mr. Do artwork page and didn't see any artwork for it.
> I saw a discussion earlier this year where it looked as though someone was working on
> bezels, etc. for this game in MAME but I would have thought the overlay would already
> exist.

Most likely hasn't been gotten to yet. There is far more art out there than people working on MAME'ing it.

If someone already has scans/images/coloring on the overly, you might want to give it a try. You could probably even get away with a copy & creative paste from the space invaders overlay.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay? new [Re: italie]
#319117 - 12/22/13 04:03 AM

Aren't simple color overlays normally done with internal "lay" files instead of external art files?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay? new [Re: krick]
#319119 - 12/22/13 04:19 AM

> Aren't simple color overlays normally done with internal "lay" files instead of
> external art files?

dunno...it's been a while for me. Like since the start of this whole lay thingymajig.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay? new [Re: italie]
#319130 - 12/22/13 08:23 AM

Yes, the overlay is red and yes, it would be part of the lay file.
I made one for myself a couple years back though at the time I thought the overlay was brown.

Here is a link to my unofficial art bezel from last year.
This will keep you until the new art gets done.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post300988

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay? new [Re: TrevEB]
#319140 - 12/22/13 10:56 PM

>Yes, the overlay is red and yes, it would be part of the lay file. I made one for myself
>a couple years back though at the time I thought the overlay was brown.

I see the Sky Raider manual parts list section only describes (maybe the overlay?) as a "monitor mask" which I am assuming is the overlay piece.

Good luck to whoever gets it fixed up. I never played Sky Raider when it was at arcades during 1970s so I don't know what the interior of the cab looked like when game is being played.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Re: Sky Raider (MAME) - why no overlay? new [Re: TrevEB]
#319143 - 12/23/13 01:08 AM

Thanks TrevEB! (And sorry, everyone, for not posting my question in the Artwork forum). Would it be possible to make the Starship 1 crosshairs an overlay instead of part of the bezel? I don't usually use bezels, especially in this case since it hides the part of the monitor that displays the player's score, but the crosshairs make the game more fun.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1399