MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove
#318905 - 12/18/13 06:01 PM

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: B2K24]
#318908 - 12/18/13 06:54 PM

That's quite a nicely done little documentary. Enjoyed that.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: B2K24]
#318918 - 12/18/13 09:28 PM

Feels sad and full of unfulfilled goals.
Are these people chasing that five seconds of fame on the coattails of the King of Kong 2006 docu-drama? It seems like more of an obsession at this point, sort of like men going to My Little Pony conventions.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: yaggy]
#318928 - 12/19/13 03:55 AM

> Feels sad and full of unfulfilled goals.
> sort of like men going to My Little Pony conventions.

What ???? Is there something wrong with that ? Darn, another burst bubble ....

Moose

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: yaggy]
#318929 - 12/19/13 03:57 AM

> It seems like more of an obsession at this point, sort of like
> men going to My Little Pony conventions.

HAH HAH hah hah. Isn't that what any con-like thing, especially retro, is?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#318943 - 12/19/13 06:22 AM

> Feels sad and full of unfulfilled goals.
> Are these people chasing that five seconds of fame on the coattails of the King of
> Kong 2006 docu-drama? It seems like more of an obsession at this point, sort of like
> men going to My Little Pony conventions.

Seriously… Show of hands here… who has travelled afar to compete on a national/world level for a game?

I think that's part of the sting of defeat… when you're flying home a loser and thinking… How &#$%ing dumb was this… all that time training, all that time not doing things I should have been doing to train, all that money spent getting there… to go and lose at a dumb game that nobody but the people in attendance care about.

That &#$%ing sucks. And then when you find yourself getting choked up about it, you think… AND I'm choked up about it like a pussy. Ugh.

Then you get home… maybe don't play again for a long time… and then… against all your better judgement… maybe see where I am at it now.

Yeah, it's an obsession.

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: GatKong]
#318944 - 12/19/13 06:38 AM

Actually, Gatinha once even held a world record in a title… and when some dude beat her score, she played harder and won it back… and when he beat her score again… she's never played the game ever again since. Seriously. She was playing it so much to retake her world record, I bought her the board so she could play at home on the real thing, and restored her a cabinet for it, but before I finished it she retook her record anyway. But I also didn't finish making it until she lost her record for the second time… so she's literally never played on the cabinet I made for her… not once. Never has even physically touched it with her hand. She doesn't care. She doesn't want to play it any more. The last time we moved, I crated it… and it's still in its crate… having never been played.

Obsessions can go both ways.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: GatKong]
#318946 - 12/19/13 07:02 AM

> Obsessions can go both ways.

Hatris?

RW-Column
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/10/13
Send PM

#318953 - 12/19/13 09:58 AM

What is the point of playing and trying to reach record scores when Twin Galaxies is closed?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: The world's 13th-best Donkey Kong player has something to prove new [Re: RW-Column]
#318976 - 12/19/13 05:37 PM

> What is the point of playing and trying to reach record scores when Twin Galaxies is
> closed?

Fun, challenge, and possibly for the nostalgia?

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#318990 - 12/19/13 07:36 PM

> I think that's part of the sting of defeat… when you're flying home a loser and
> thinking… How &#$%ing dumb was this… all that time training, all that time not doing
> things I should have been doing to train, all that money spent getting there… to go
> and lose at a dumb game that nobody but the people in attendance care about.

Nailed it.
But hey, those 15-20 people sure feel like great friends for a few hours til it's time for everyone to go home.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3116