View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

nirv
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/02/11
Send PM

Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™
#318711 - 12/14/13 08:58 PM

Mooglyguy I love you you're great, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix this issue.

HLSL shifts the image up and left and so you have dark pixels on the right and bottom of any single monitor game you play.

It really violates my OCD when playing a triple monitor game like Darius II. Check it out.

So here are two links that may help narrow the issue down if anyone is capable of fixing it.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/527884-hlsl-tex2d-border-problem/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb219690%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Thanks for reading.

Dr. Spankenstein
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/10
Send PM

Re: Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™ new [Re: nirv]
#318743 - 12/15/13 12:31 PM

From what you are describing it is probably a case of texel and pixel misalignment.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb219690(v=vs.85).aspx

This is only required for DirectX 9 and not subsequent versions.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#319758 - 01/04/14 05:29 AM

Mooglyguy has fixed this just now, you can download the latest source and compile

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=71a5ad42b52455dcd242c891210732c1bebe50d0

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™ new [Re: Smitdogg]
#319765 - 01/04/14 08:18 AM

Hi Smitt

Thanks for the response.

However, the new code is actually worse than the original. Not only are the solid black lines still in the bottom and right, but the scanlines themselves are completely trucked.

Hover over the image to see the new version:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/55805

If you hover over the image, you can see the difference between the old and the new. The scanlines are completely off now. Those screenshots were taken with identical configuration settings.

I'm on IRC if there's anyone willing to try a few things with me there to get it fixed in a short amount of time.

Edited by nirv (01/04/14 08:21 AM)

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#319769 - 01/04/14 10:22 AM

> Hi Smitt
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> However, the new code is actually worse than the original. Not only are the solid
> black lines still in the bottom and right, but the scanlines themselves are
> completely trucked.
>
> Hover over the image to see the new version:
>
> http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/55805
>
> If you hover over the image, you can see the difference between the old and the new.
> The scanlines are completely off now. Those screenshots were taken with identical
> configuration settings.
>
> I'm on IRC if there's anyone willing to try a few things with me there to get it
> fixed in a short amount of time.

It's not clear that the scanlines are actually wrong. They look bad, but that will happen sometimes (maybe?).

If the resolution you're running at isn't a multiple if the number of scanlines drawn, then I guess they won't line up with the pixels and some could end up being drawn thinner/thicker because of this. This is probably a necessary consequence of decoupling the CRT simulation from the final output res. If that's what's going on, then the cure is simply: run at very high resolutions so the aliasing is less objectionable.

What happens if you run at other windowed resolutions? Or change the number of scanlines drawn with the scanline height options (Just for testing. You shouldn't really need to change these per game/system)?

I couldn't get HLSL working on my nVidia card (from SVN obviously) just now (but I've modified some of the shader files so that's probably my own fault) so I can't take a closer look right now.

Good luck!

Edited by SoltanGris42 (01/04/14 10:35 AM)

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™ new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#319770 - 01/04/14 11:43 AM

Well that's a nice line of shit, but in actuality, scanlines worked perfectly before with the same settings, so something obviously was broken by this update.

Thanks for playing.™

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#319771 - 01/04/14 11:57 AM

Quote:

Well that's a nice line of shit Thanks for your suggestions, but in
actuality, scanlines worked perfectly before with the same settings,
so something obviously was broken changed by this update.

Thanks for playing.™ anyway.

^That way seems nicer.

LEVEL-4

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#319774 - 01/04/14 12:13 PM

> Well that's a nice line of shit, but in actuality, scanlines worked perfectly before
> with the same settings, so something obviously was broken by this update.
>
> Thanks for playing.™

Your #1 looks nothing like a real Arcade display and hsf2 isn't even a multi-screen game, so I have no idea what your even complaining about.

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™ new [Re: B2K24]
#319777 - 01/04/14 02:10 PM

> > Well that's a nice line of shit, but in actuality, scanlines worked perfectly
> before
> > with the same settings, so something obviously was broken by this update.
> >
> > Thanks for playing.™
>
> Your #1 looks nothing like a real Arcade display and hsf2 isn't even a multi-screen
> game, so I have no idea what your even complaining about.

The bug is always there. It's just more noticeable in multi screen games because you can see the gap. HLSL always shifts the whole screen slightly up and to the left.

You have no idea what I'm complaining about because you have only one eyebrow.

Edit: I just made a video to show you the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiHOSMeKUs&hd=1

Edited by nirv (01/04/14 02:58 PM)

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#319778 - 01/04/14 03:34 PM

> You have no idea what I'm complaining about because you have only one eyebrow.

Be careful B2K24, nirv may have hacked into your webcam.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#319780 - 01/04/14 04:38 PM

> You have no idea what I'm complaining about because you have only one eyebrow.
>
> Edit: I just made a video to show you the problem.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiHOSMeKUs

Now it will never be fixed.

#firstworldproblems #makemorevidsnow TB

LEVEL-4

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#319783 - 01/04/14 07:39 PM

Why should we help you when you're treating us like dirt? Jerk responses like yours make it MUCH less likely that any investigation will be done.

Please consider that before your next response.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

B2K24
Send PM

#319786 - 01/04/14 07:58 PM

>

Your video was un-necessary although it did help slightly because your initial explanation was so incredibly poor at pointing out exactly what the problem is.

Learn how to explain things properly Mr. Educator without insults and your problems on many forums might eventually decrease.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#319787 - 01/04/14 07:59 PM

> The bug is always there. It's just more noticeable in multi screen games because you
> can see the gap. HLSL always shifts the whole screen slightly up and to the left.
>
>

You're completely correct, the fix was clearly half-baked and broken. I'm not quite sure why these guys are coming down on you like a hammer, but you're right in this case.

The issue my "fix" was supposed to fix was something I mistakenly thought was the issue you were reporting. On my laptop I noticed a small gap between the screens on Darius and tracked it down to the texture coordinates being generated in bloom.fx not starting on an exact pixel boundary, so the edge pixels were getting blended against the clear color (black). I didn't notice the deleterious effect on scanlines because Darius only runs at like 1.25x its native resolution when maximized due to my screen only being 1280x800, so I barely see scanlines on it. When I fired up a single-screen game just now to double-check, I can confirm that the scanlines look pretty ass-y now.

I'm on vacation for the next couple weeks so I have plenty of time for MAME and MESS right now, and I'm working on a proper fix as we speak.

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™ new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#319788 - 01/04/14 08:08 PM

That's awesome!

Thanks a lot for HLSL. Nobody on this planet loves it more than I do.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#319790 - 01/04/14 08:11 PM

> That's awesome!
>
> Thanks a lot for HLSL. Nobody on this planet loves it more than I do.

No worries. It's my baby, I wouldn't do anything to intentionally break it. Also, you might ease up a little on the insult-flinging, it's what got me banned for years here in the first place.

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

#319791 - 01/04/14 08:13 PM

The video obviously was necessary, because the original explanation couldn't get any simpler than it was:

"HLSL shifts the image up and left and so you have dark pixels on the right and bottom of any single monitor game you play."

Huh? That wasn't clear enough for you?

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

#319793 - 01/04/14 08:19 PM

Are you on IRC? Do you want me to do any testing for you? I can hop on.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#319794 - 01/04/14 08:22 PM

> Are you on IRC? Do you want me to do any testing for you? I can hop on.

Yeah, I'm on EFNet as MooglyGuy as usual. No testing needed at the moment, I basically need to solve two things first:

- Why everything is shifted up and to the left (I have a few theories though)
- The generated texture coordinates being incorrect for multi-screen games resulting in a different type of gap

If you could pastebin your current HLSL settings from your mame.ini though, that would be pretty rad, it'll help narrow things down depending on what settings you are and aren't using.

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

#319795 - 01/04/14 08:37 PM

http://pastebin.com/LG3GELVp

Thanks!

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#319798 - 01/04/14 11:04 PM

Can we pile on for an HLSL fix for laserdisc games?

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5324

I don't think the HLSL issue has been broken out into a separate bug. Thanks -

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#319804 - 01/05/14 01:08 AM

> Well that's a nice line of shit, but in actuality, scanlines worked perfectly before
> with the same settings, so something obviously was broken by this update.
>
> Thanks for playing.™

Everyone knows that scanlines used to work. And then Moogly changed the texture coordinates trying to fix your issue.

According to Moogly, it's because the texture coordinates aren't aligned correctly. What I suggested was that the texture coordinate change could cause alignment an issue depending on the screen resolution. Not exactly an impossible thing, and easy to test...

That's not really "shit". The aliasing you get when you try to display high frequency details with insufficient resolution is a real thing. If you've used an aperture effects with HLSL I guess you already know that.

You know, usually when someone pops up with am HLSL question on this board, you get 20 posts from people that clearly have no idea how any of this stuff works. Moogly doesn't usually bother to post.

I'm sorry I bothered to compile from SVN last night to take a quick look. So next time you come here bitching, you'll probaly be "playing™" with yourself.

Good luck. Tool™ .

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Yeah. Can you believe the 'nirv' of that guy? [nt] new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#319808 - 01/05/14 02:35 AM

LEVEL-4

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Help perfect HLSL by fixing one pixel.™ new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#319814 - 01/05/14 03:34 AM

> I'm sorry I bothered to compile from SVN last night to take a quick look. So next
> time you come here bitching, you'll probaly be "playing™" with yourself.
>
> Good luck. Tool™ .

People like yourself that can give a proper explanation without needing to resort to idiotic videos is definitely very much appreciated.

I hope you will still be willing to provide input in the future despite random idiots like nirv

nirv
MAME Fan
Send PM

#319819 - 01/05/14 04:42 AM

> I hope you will still be willing to provide input in the future despite random idiots
> like nirv

Those insults seem to sail out of that festering sewer in text. I welcome you to hop on Ventrilo or call me on Skype and insult me directly but I don't think you've got the guts. Oh, you mean you do?

Don't throw turds and run away like a chimp at the zoo. Don't type it, Skype it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3004