MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

21 video games that rocked the industry
#317060 - 11/07/13 01:40 AM

http://money.msn.com/technology-investment/21-video-games-that-rocked-the-industry

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: 21 video games that rocked the industry new [Re: joey35car]
#317105 - 11/07/13 06:01 PM

> http://money.msn.com/technology-investment/21-video-games-that-rocked-the-industry

That's not a bad list - they correctly name Wolf3D as the inflection point instead of DOOM. I'd only really nitpick two things: GTA 3 should be listed instead of San Andreas, and I'd list something like Minecraft or Super Meat Boy instead of Mass Effect 3 to represent the modern age of indie and quasi-indie gaming.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: 21 video games that rocked the industry new [Re: R. Belmont]
#317106 - 11/07/13 06:55 PM

AGreed on the GTA3 issue.

Though I think the argument for zork is quite flawed. I don't think there would have been no zelda or FF without it. What set's Zork and its peers apart is that is has no graphic interface, while the games mentioned after all do and play completely different.. The only thing connecting them imho is "adventure!" and I personally think they would have come to "Hey let's create an epic adventure through a magical world with mystical creatures" without it.

And I personally was not too impressed with Bioshock.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: 21 video games that rocked the industry new [Re: RATMNL]
#317114 - 11/07/13 09:02 PM

> Though I think the argument for zork is quite flawed. I don't think there would have
> been no zelda or FF without it. What set's Zork and its peers apart is that is has no
> graphic interface, while the games mentioned after all do and play completely
> different..

There's a number of imperfect choices you could put in the "progenitor of modern RPGs" slot. I could make arguments for Mystery House, King's Quest, Ultima, or Wizardry, but none of them are completely satisfying there so I kind of accept Zork. That said, the original ADVENT would've been an even better cite than Zork.

> And I personally was not too impressed with Bioshock.

I thought the gameplay was nothing new, but the atmosphere is terrific. It's about as close as you'll get to stepping into a time machine and visiting the heyday of the Art Deco/Art Moderne/Streamline/Machine Age styles in color. (Honorable mention here to The Saboteur, which looked great but could've done more with its setting).

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#317126 - 11/08/13 04:44 AM

> That said, the original ADVENT would've been an even better cite than Zork.

Seeing ADVENT for the first time was one of those "a-ha" moments for me, with computers and gaming. I was maybe 7 or 8 and my dad had dialed into the VAX where he worked. I happened to be hanging around when he finished working, so he started showing me all the stuff that every VAX system had laying around, like the Bambi vs. Godzilla animation and whatever. One of the things he showed me was ADVENT, which just completely blew my mind. At the time, my idea of video games was arcade games and Atari. This was a whole world that you could interact with any way you wanted. In retrospect, it was a lot more limited than that, but at the time it really changed what I imagined was possible.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#317127 - 11/08/13 05:36 AM

I agree that I don't think Zork should have made the list. King's quest was the 1st graphic adventure where you could move your character around "3d" objects (3d at that time). It was such a huge success, that it changed the way computer games were created after that. And helped companies realize there was a big market for computer games.

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1552