View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

converting PAL AVI to NTSC DVD
#316931 - 11/05/13 05:18 AM

I have an AVI file that appears to have been ripped from a PAL DVD. The movie was never released in the USA in NTSC format on DVD. I used to have it on VHS a long time ago. Frankly, my time is worth more than the cost of a DVD, so I'd buy it if I could. But since I can't buy it, I'd like to try to convert this AVI so I can watch it on my DVD player.

The file is 25 frames per second. All the advice I see online talks says to "convert it to 23.976fps and use 3:2 pulldown during playback".

One page I found instructs me to use virtual dub to split out the audio and video separately, then use virtualdub on the video file to change the framerate. The instructions indicate that it will do this by essentially stretching the playback time of the video so that you end up with 23.976fps instead of 25fps. Of course, you then need to do the same thing with the audio so that they line up.

This is good in theory, but for some reason, I don't think the video "time stretching" is really working as it should. At one point in the original film, there's a rapid succession of single-frame images. In the resulting "time stretched" video, not all the frames are there, and the video actually goes completely black for a few frames a few times.

Judging from the screenshots in the instructions, they used a much older version of virtualdub, so maybe I need to dig up the exact version they used instead of the new version that I'm using.

If you're reading this, and you know how to make this work, please share. Thanks.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: converting PAL AVI to NTSC DVD new [Re: krick]
#316934 - 11/05/13 05:39 AM

Try FFMPEG.

ffmpeg -i "input_file.avi" -target ntsc-dvd "output_file.mpg"

Edited by redk9258 (11/05/13 05:40 AM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: converting PAL AVI to NTSC DVD new [Re: redk9258]
#316935 - 11/05/13 05:49 AM

thanks. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Well, that seems to have worked. The output file is the correct size, framerate, and aspect ratio. I'm curious how it will look when I burn it to a DVD and play it on my DVD player. I tried something similar with a PAL AVI before and the result was really jerky when people or things moved horizontally on the screen due to the way the software duplicated frames to stretch 25fps into 29.970fps.

My understanding is that the "simple and fast" way is to duplicate frames when needed and the "difficult and slow" way involves blending frames.

EDIT2: I checked out the burned DVD in my player tonight and it looks pretty damn good to me, considering I was dealing with a source AVI that was 640x352 pixels and 25 fps.

Edited by krick (11/06/13 05:39 AM)

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#316998 - 11/06/13 01:12 AM

The "proper" way to do it depends on the source material. If the source material is 24fps film (e.g. most cinematic films) PAL transfers are made by speeding it up about 4% and displaying each film frame for two fields (yeah, audio pitch is increased). If it's material where preserving speed/audio pitch is important, ever 12th frame is displayed for four fields, giving slight "hiccups" in smooth motions. NTSC typically uses 3:2 pulldown. Odd frames are displayed for two fields and even frames are displayed for three fields. It requires very slight slowing down - nowhere near as much as the speed-up for PAL - to get the precise 29.97 frame rate. This produces noticeable motion judder. If the source material was shot at some other frame rate (it could have been native PAL or NTSC) you're pretty much on your own working out how the disc was mastered. But all this is academic - wouldn't it be easier to just get an entertainment system that can play PAL and SECAM as well as NTSC?

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: converting PAL AVI to NTSC DVD new [Re: Matty_]
#317004 - 11/06/13 05:10 AM

http://www.codefreedvd.com/region-free-dvd/region-free-dvd-players.html

nothing beats hardware conversion. I have 2 players from here and playback of PAL on an NTSC TV is flawless!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: converting PAL AVI to NTSC DVD new [Re: Matty_]
#317007 - 11/06/13 05:35 AM

> But all this is academic - wouldn't it be easier to just
> get an entertainment system that can play PAL and SECAM as well as NTSC?

For one movie? Ehhhhh....no.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#317012 - 11/06/13 06:19 AM

Glad it worked out. FFMPEG handles DISH network transport streams that cannot always be handled by other programs (PVR Explorer Pro). I have successfully ripped audio from the audio channels that nothing else could handle. Quality isn't that great and is in MP2 format.

phillsm
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/07/13
Send PM

#317072 - 11/07/13 06:26 AM

If you're using Windows 7, Windows DVD Maker is included with the OS (and as a d/l with Vista/XP), and with k-lite installed it should find the codecs for dealing with AVI. That, if nothing else, should give you some options on compression/quality before a burn.

I use AppGeeker DVD Creator, which should work fine for you, doing AVI conversion and burning to DVD all in one place.

http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/burn-avi-to-dvd.html

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: converting PAL AVI to NTSC DVD new [Re: redk9258]
#321846 - 02/12/14 12:32 AM

I have another job for ffmpeg...

I need to convert this...

720 x 402 (16:9)
x264

...to this...

624 x 352(16:9)
DivX/Xvid

So I can play it off a thumb drive in my DVD player.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#321848 - 02/12/14 01:42 AM

> I have another job for ffmpeg...
>
> I need to convert this...
>
> 720 x 402 (16:9)
> x264
>
> ...to this...
>
> 624 x 352(16:9)
> DivX/Xvid
>
> So I can play it off a thumb drive in my DVD player.

If you want to convert comfortably, use a good GUI. I personally use TEncoder (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/).
* Free, GPLed.
* Comes in 32 and 64 bits flavours.
* Uses both ffmpeg and MEncoder.
* Nice GUI for the common options (bitrate, frame size, audio format, whatever) and option to add advanced command-line options.
* Handles too many formats, too many codecs. Including x264.
* Multi-core support: do you have a CPU with 4 cores? TEncoder opens as many encoding processes in other cores as you want (configurable).

Forget about DivX. Xvid is the best codec for MPEG-4 Visual. Don't forget to activate "two pass" mode, it is slower but in some cases the result is much better (e.g. scenes with rain, clown pockets).

I don't remember if TEncoder includes the basic codecs; if it doesn't, you can always install a codec pack (I use K-Lite). For more control, I also use VirtualDub and Avidemux, depending on what I need to do. E.g. VirtualDub handles several different hi-quality resizing filters and cropping, I also use MediaInfo and Xvid's internal bitrate calculator extensively.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1749