MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/02/13
Send PM

Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World.
#316705 - 11/02/13 12:23 AM

Hi everyone! I thought this would be best posted under "Arcade related news" but if I am in the wrong forum or am breaking the rules please let me know.

I have been apart of the MAME community for a couple of years now (though I mainly hung out at the Groovymame areas and got a huge amount of help from arcaderepairtips), and loved the help I have been given.

Over the past year I grew very annoyed that nobody was updating the games I grew up with. So, I started a company with a mission to change that. Our mission is to reimagine classic arcade games for future generations. My son loves my cabinet but I hate to see so many great games locked in time.

We are starting out with Ghosts 'N Goblins. If you are a fan, here is what we are up to:

www.ghostsngoblins.com

Thanks!

Monty

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Monty Singleton]
#316713 - 11/02/13 03:07 AM

Cool, I'll give you a week or so of sticky posting to help support. I have 3 suggestions that you should think about though:

-Make the 4 bosses before Satan the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
-Make a promise that if X (small number) is sold on the Ouya then a Steam port will happen
-Dissect and tweak out the smallest bits that make the game fun

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Monty Singleton]
#316716 - 11/02/13 04:04 AM

I heard a lot of talk there.
What does your version look like?

Edited by "The Manuel" (11/02/13 04:04 AM)

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#316718 - 11/02/13 06:01 AM

> I heard a lot of talk there.
> What does your version look like?

Thanks Manuel! The Kickstarter is to fund the development of the game and if we can fund it this month, OUYA will double our money to doulbe the quality. We don't actually get the money from OUYA until we deliver them a working prototype so if we were just talk, it would be a major waste of everyones time. I'm not going to waste anyones time, I'm going to build them a kick ass game. I've got some top coders and designers knocking down my door as they love GNG, ready to work, but they won't work for free.

However, the plan is to make it feel like an 8 bit game, but play like a modern game. The graphics are going to be 3D (think of a dark New Super Mario Bros Wii), but the gameplay is 2D. Except when you are descending through the layers of the earth, it will switch to a temporary 3D world like Paper Mario.

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#316719 - 11/02/13 06:06 AM

> Cool, I'll give you a week or so of sticky posting to help support. I have 3
> suggestions that you should think about though:
>
> -Make the 4 bosses before Satan the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
> -Make a promise that if X (small number) is sold on the Ouya then a Steam port will
> happen
> -Dissect and tweak out the smallest bits that make the game fun

Thanks for the suggestions! We definitely will be working in the Four Horsemen, but they would all be a part of one level. Capcom is the publisher and I will try to convince them to Steam port it but that's out of my hands. It's the details that makes GNG fun. So, this will be a key focus.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#316724 - 11/02/13 08:23 AM

The descending into hell brings to mind Dante's INFERNO....but incorporating that would certainly make it an adult feature.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#316727 - 11/02/13 10:45 AM

> > Cool, I'll give you a week or so of sticky posting to help support. I have 3
> > suggestions that you should think about though:
> >
> > -Make the 4 bosses before Satan the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
> > -Make a promise that if X (small number) is sold on the Ouya then a Steam port will
> > happen
> > -Dissect and tweak out the smallest bits that make the game fun
>
> Thanks for the suggestions! We definitely will be working in the Four Horsemen, but
> they would all be a part of one level. Capcom is the publisher and I will try to
> convince them to Steam port it but that's out of my hands. It's the details that
> makes GNG fun. So, this will be a key focus.

They should let you guys make a Steam port when they have a agreement and an OK with you guys. Steam have many of Capcom games port.

It a shame that the Maximo 3 game never gotten fully made and then release. All those people project got wasted. Would've been a next good game. Info here. http://www.unseen64.net/2009/05/03/maximo-3-ps2-cancelled/ I really did wish someone take over it and then continue working on where the project left off at. Shame that Capcom pass on it.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#316734 - 11/02/13 12:35 PM

Leaving the PC (Steam) behind really hurts... ...and sux too ! - Why I am not surprised that You are from USA ?!
- Not having a little bit of gameplay looks amateurish and very suspicious.
- Having a pretty low goal ($50.000 not promising first class 2.5D platform game) and You can make it happen only due to the small amount of dollars needed, not for the idea/game itself, which is bad for the final product.
By the way, Your idea for re-imagining Ghosts'n Goblins is already realized by CAPCOM itself through the finest G'n G ever : Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
The only "downside" was exclusivity to PSP. This IS Your chance to correct the unjustice CapCom did to us all and make similar game available to all platforms. (read : make available to PC)
At this time, the similar KickStart campaign goes for BoogerMan and You know what :
They will NOT make their goal due to NOT having what to show us, but only talking - no gameplay ! (at least they try with some animations now...)

I wish You will show some love to PC gamers and consider releasing Your future game to Steam or any other PC platform and also step back, do some dev. work and come back with preview/demo/gameplay/anything. Raise the goal if necessary and look at KickStarter campaign (suxxesful) for Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams for example and learn from them. Not to mention here recently OVERsucceeded KS Mighty No.9

I wish You very best and took my suggestions as friendly because they are

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#316741 - 11/02/13 02:37 PM

This game will be as 2D or 3D?
3D will be cool, besides this game is very good indeed.

I want it on steam too.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#316747 - 11/02/13 03:34 PM

that's a great project.

There is a remake "kinda" of it for the PSP: "Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins". it's a side scroller, just like the arcade. One of the best remakes I've seen.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

#316749 - 11/02/13 04:39 PM

I think your project is interesting, but there's a key problem that prevents me from pledging.

Your platform focus. You're going to be developing for 12-18 months at a minimum. When you're done...

-360 and PS3 will be essentially dead due to being superceded.

-Ouya announced a new console for 2014, which is going to undermine confidence and likely kill the platform.

-Wii-u is known to be doing poorly.

-There's no guarantee yet that the X-box One or PS4 will sell well enough to be viable, especially given the huge drops in console sales for the last several years.

Without an anchor version of the PC where I would know it would be in existence and viable at the time of launch, I'm sadly unable to support your efforts. Your platform targets are too volatile for me to contribute.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Rygar9]
#316756 - 11/02/13 06:05 PM

> I think your project is interesting, but there's a key problem that prevents me from
> pledging.

You forgot "Capcom still owns, uses and defends the Ghosts n' Goblins intellectual property."

- Stiletto

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Stiletto]
#316763 - 11/02/13 08:07 PM

> You forgot "Capcom still owns, uses and defends the Ghosts n' Goblins intellectual
> property."

It does say that they've spoken to Capcom, and have been told that Capcom will review it when the project is further along. Of course, that probably still means they have a less than 50/50 shot of actually getting Capcom's blessing, but it's better than a lot of these projects that just press ahead without even trying to obtain the rights.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#316772 - 11/03/13 12:59 AM

I'd be interested, but honestly, I have no plans to buy digital games again off of XBL. I am losing a bunch of money this generation, because Microsoft decided not to carry over XBLA titles to the One. I guess they figured it was no different than buying mobile phones games. I get that there was a process architecture change and that makes things complicated, but thats not good enough afaic. They probably just shoved me into the PS4 camp because of that. Not that I'll be buying anything digital there, either.

"Designing the game like we want your quarters" also screams cheap US arcade AI as well. I'd reconsider if thats the goal. Also I always thought having to go through the game twice just to actually beat it was BS and a terrible design decision. Make the game longer, sure, but not repeat every level!

Edited by vram74 (11/03/13 01:01 AM)

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Rygar9]
#316774 - 11/03/13 01:07 AM

> I think your project is interesting, but there's a key problem that prevents me from
> pledging.
>
> Your platform focus. You're going to be developing for 12-18 months at a minimum.
> When you're done...
> targets are too volatile for me to contribute.

Rygar, first off. Love the name! In the 80s I weighed down the button on a NES Advantage with turbo on and left Rygar auto-killing bad guys for hours as I was outside playing. Then I came back to a super-powerful Rygar. LOL.

Initially I had the major consoles more vague as this is a digital release and whatever names the latest consoles use in 2015 are where we are going to be. But, people got confused so I was more specific. Our goal is to convince Capcom, that if it connects to a controller and a big screen, that's where the game should be. I think consoles have a long life ahead of them, but if everyone goes the way of Sega, then our games will go where the fans are.

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: DiodeDude]
#316776 - 11/03/13 01:21 AM

Not that I'll be buying anything digital
> there, either.
>
> "Designing the game like we want your quarters" also screams cheap US arcade AI as
> well. I'd reconsider if thats the goal. Also I always thought having to go through
> the game twice just to actually beat it was BS and a terrible design decision. Make
> the game longer, sure, but not repeat every level!

My hope is eventually everyone follows an iTunes model, to where your purchases stay with you forever. But, it's going to be a long time before we see that. I completely understand.

Didn't mean for it to sound like cheap AI. It's supposed to mean that the game is going to keep the tradition of being "too hard." Even in 1985 I hated the double-beat, but I accepted it because I knew it was a creative way to handle low memory limitations. We won't be doing the double-beat in the same way, but we are keeping the tradition. I'm not going to give the ending away but basically the ideas is this: What happens after you have descended all the way into the depths of hell and killed Lucifer? The answer to that is the second half of the game.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#316778 - 11/03/13 02:05 AM

Ah....Fight your way back out. I like that

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Stiletto]
#316800 - 11/03/13 06:03 AM

> You forgot "Capcom still owns, uses and defends the Ghosts n' Goblins intellectual
> property."
>
> - Stiletto

Exactly. It's Capcom's IP. So, they will be the publisher if all goes to plan. Not us.

Monty

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#316801 - 11/03/13 06:06 AM

> that's a great project.
>
> There is a remake "kinda" of it for the PSP: "Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins". it's a side
> scroller, just like the arcade. One of the best remakes I've seen.

Thanks! Ultimate is awesome because it's the original Ghosts 'N Goblins and Ghouls 'N Ghosts director, Tokuro Fujiwara. Awesome game, but it was a portable release. Our focus is big screens with controllers.

Monty

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Lewis King]
#316803 - 11/03/13 06:14 AM

> This game will be as 2D or 3D?
> 3D will be cool, besides this game is very good indeed.
>
> I want it on steam too.

3D graphics but 2D gameplay, like a dark New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. Also, after you beat a level, it temporarily turns into a 3D world where you descend to the next layer. Like Super Paper Mario. A blend between modern and retro.

As for steam, if all goes to plan, we are going to try to convince Capcom to do it. But, since they will be the publisher it's up to them.

Monty

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: CTOJAH]
#316804 - 11/03/13 06:34 AM

> Leaving the PC (Steam) behind really hurts... ...and sux too ! - Why I am not
> surprised that You are from USA ?!
> - Not having a little bit of gameplay looks amateurish and very suspicious.
> - Having a pretty low goal ($50.000 not promising first class 2.5D platform game) and
> itself through the finest G'n G ever : Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
> The only "downside" was exclusivity to PSP. This IS Your chance to correct the
> unjustice CapCom did to us all and make similar game available to all platforms.
> (read : make available to PC)
> At this time, the similar KickStart campaign goes for BoogerMan and You know what :
> They will NOT make their goal due to NOT having what to show us, but only talking -
> no gameplay ! (at least they try with some animations now...)
> I wish You very best and took my suggestions as friendly because they are

Thanks for your thoughts! We are going to try to convince Capcom to put it on Steam but it will ultimately be up to them.

Ultimate GNG only being on PSP is *exactly* why I thought this was a good idea.

The reason we don't have a prototype is because we had to move quickly to get a shot at the OUYA FreeTheGamesFund.com. There is no way I would present a prototype that wasn't up to Capcom's high standards. Basically, the FTGF is going to double our Kickstarter funds if we succeed. However, the money has been going fast and looks like it will be drained by December. It's only a million dollars for ALL developers and plenty of games have hit 100k on KS, so, that's only 10 games.

Hopefully we will succeed and it will be worth the risk. We do not get the money from OUYA until we present them a quality Prototype. We show them the prototype, they give us the KS match, and the quality of the game doubles.

Give me a chance and I will not let you down. That's why I'm offering to fully refund any backer because I know they are taking a chance on our team. See our FAQ on "No prototype" for my and my teams credentials. Thanks!

Monty

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#316805 - 11/03/13 06:39 AM

> I heard a lot of talk there.
> What does your version look like?

The look of the game is going to be 3D and play in a 2D world. It will look modern and feel retro. We don't get paid from OUYA if we don't deliver a quality game and Capcom won't publish it if it's not awesome. I'm not wasting peoples time here. If I don't deliver, OUYA doesn't pay, and Capcom will be pissed. There is no way I'm going to let that happen.

Monty

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Traso]
#316806 - 11/03/13 06:41 AM

> The descending into hell brings to mind Dante's INFERNO....but incorporating that
> would certainly make it an adult feature.

Exactly. Plus, we are doing a 90% run-and-gun platformer. Looks modern, plays retro.

Monty

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Dullaron]
#316807 - 11/03/13 06:43 AM

> They should let you guys make a Steam port when they have a agreement and an OK with
> you guys. Steam have many of Capcom games port.
>
>

We are going to be pushing for it but it will be up to them.

Monty

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#316813 - 11/03/13 09:01 AM

> > They should let you guys make a Steam port when they have a agreement and an OK
> with
> > you guys. Steam have many of Capcom games port.
> >
> >
>
> We are going to be pushing for it but it will be up to them.
>
> Monty

Tell Capcom that the 'second layer' of SecuROM DRM on Steam release of Dark Void Zero was a really dumb idea too. Steam is its own DRM provider, there's no need to add another layer (since what happens when Capcom's activation server goes down?)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#316817 - 11/03/13 12:07 PM

well, if you use the PPSSPP emulator you can play games at 1920x1080 resolution, and it looks very good.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#316825 - 11/03/13 05:26 PM

> well, if you use the PPSSPP emulator you can play games at 1920x1080 resolution, and
> it looks very good.

Yes, but the problem isn't you shouldn't have to do this. They missed a HUGE opportunity with Ultimate not going to a console and they also didn't market it to retro-gamers properly. We want to change that.

Monty

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#316828 - 11/03/13 05:54 PM

I see. Good point.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#316888 - 11/04/13 03:31 PM

> > This game will be as 2D or 3D?
> > 3D will be cool, besides this game is very good indeed.
> >
> > I want it on steam too.
>
> 3D graphics but 2D gameplay, like a dark New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. Also, after you
> beat a level, it temporarily turns into a 3D world where you descend to the next
> layer. Like Super Paper Mario. A blend between modern and retro.
>
> As for steam, if all goes to plan, we are going to try to convince Capcom to do it.
> But, since they will be the publisher it's up to them.
>
> Monty

Thank you Sir.!

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Lewis King]
#316938 - 11/05/13 07:24 AM

> Thank you Sir.!

You bet! If you want more details on this project GameZone just posted an interview with me.

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/1...ins-demon-world

Monty

Once
MAME User
Reged: 05/15/11
Send PM

#317177 - 11/09/13 09:46 AM

As with every other retro remake, I get the feeling this is going to turn out poorly. Monty Singleton, your various responses do give me hope, though.

> The descending into hell brings to mind Dante's INFERNO....but incorporating that
> would certainly make it an adult feature.
There is nothing "adult" about Dante's Inferno, except for that crappy new "reimagining" that no one should care about. Making the setting something like the REAL Divine Comedy (Inferno, of course) would actually be a sound idea.

> Your platform focus. You're going to be developing for 12-18 months at a minimum.
> When you're done...
>
> -360 and PS3 will be essentially dead due to being superceded.
That's rarely how consoles work. It's very likely that, like most last generation consoles, it'll do pretty well for itself a few years more. Sony themselves have released and will support one of their biggest games (Gran Turismo 6) for the PS3 so close to the PS4 release precisely because of this.

> -Ouya announced a new console for 2014, which is going to undermine confidence and
> likely kill the platform.
The platform was dead before it was even released. Absolutely nothing anyone can do to it will change that.

> -Wii-u is known to be doing poorly.
The Wii U is known to have been released too early; that's it. Now that we've reached its intended sell date (i.e. it has the games it was supposed to ship around), people really want one.

> -There's no guarantee yet that the X-box One or PS4 will sell well enough to be
> viable, especially given the huge drops in console sales for the last several years.
I can't even comment on how ridiculous this logic is.

> Without an anchor version of the PC where I would know it would be in existence and
> viable at the time of launch, I'm sadly unable to support your efforts. Your platform
> targets are too volatile for me to contribute.
Some PC version has not been an "anchor" for a very long time. By now, most development is prioritized for iOS and Android.

> "Designing the game like we want your quarters" also screams cheap US arcade AI as
> well. I'd reconsider if thats the goal. Also I always thought having to go through
> the game twice just to actually beat it was BS and a terrible design decision. Make
> the game longer, sure, but not repeat every level!
How is the looping mechanic in any way "bad design"? What about all those games that simply don't end because they loop forever; are they "bad" too?

The looping mechanic is good because it involved into a statement for "endurance". You could very easily split loops into individual difficulties... but that endurance has merit of its own; it really just comes down to personal opinion. When your game is still very short even when you're expected to beat it twice, and you're trying to adhere to a tradition that calls for it, you may as well just keep it in.

(Taking the Gradius 2 route and asking the player to redo the game in reverse is definitely one of the nicer ideas in this project.)

Monty Singleton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reimagine classic arcade games. Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. new [Re: Once]
#317180 - 11/09/13 03:22 PM

> As with every other retro remake, I get the feeling this is going to turn out poorly.
> Monty Singleton, your various responses do give me hope, though.
>

Thanks Once! The reason they typically turn out poorly is because it's a hobby started by a programmer. Programmers usually don't hire great graphic designers or game designers to make sure the big picture is correct. It's usually one or two people without enough resources.

What's going to make Demon World great, is it's a team effort. I'm managing a team of at least five if the project gets funded over a 6 month development period so it gets the pressure, attention to detail, and criticism to make a good game.

> (Taking the Gradius 2 route and asking the player to redo the game in reverse is
> definitely one of the nicer ideas in this project.)

Glad you like it! I also really like the Paper Mario aspect of the game where it temporarily turns into a 3d world as you descend layers. The reason we are doing this is because we wanted to give different game play during layer Descension than when you are actually descending on a level. You don't want to be jumping down the skull caverns level and then have the gameplay be exactly the same when you move to the next layer.

Thanks for checking us out!

Monty

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

I'd like to see it become a FPS new [Re: Monty Singleton]
#317182 - 11/09/13 04:49 PM

No, not really.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

#317589 - 11/20/13 07:11 PM

Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

^Uh-Oh! :-o new [Re: CTOJAH]
#317594 - 11/20/13 09:25 PM

> Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World is the subject of an intellectual property dispute
> and is currently unavailable.

crapcom

Edited to lessen panic. Read the blog before giving up if you are/were backing this.

LEVEL-4

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: ^Uh-Oh! :-o new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#317599 - 11/20/13 09:58 PM

> > Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World is the subject of an intellectual property dispute
> > and is currently unavailable.
>
> crapcom
>
> Edited to lessen panic. Read the blog before giving up if you are/were backing this.

Dude, their entire business plan seemed like it was "YOLO!" What were you expecting would happen?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: ^Uh-Oh! :-o new [Re: R. Belmont]
#317620 - 11/21/13 08:08 AM

> > > Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World is the subject of an intellectual property
> dispute
> > > and is currently unavailable.
> >
> > crapcom
> >
> > Edited to lessen panic. Read the blog before giving up if you are/were backing
> this.
>
> Dude, their entire business plan seemed like it was "YOLO!" What were you expecting
> would happen?

Yeah. Nothing that cool hardly ever happens or sees the light of day.

Reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/Dz-Sfw91A6A

LEVEL-4

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: ^Uh-Oh! :-o new [Re: R. Belmont]
#317629 - 11/21/13 12:38 PM

> Dude, their entire business plan seemed like it was "YOLO!" What were you expecting
> would happen?

Agreed. Was I the only one thinking from the beginning not to trust:

- A new account in the community.
- A person asking for money about a franchise not owned.
- Making a game some fan community may as well do for free.
- Using "talking with Capcom" as a polite "shoving it to Capcom's throat when it's done".

But overall:
- A person talking as an infomercial salesman.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: ^Uh-Oh! :-o new [Re: BIOS-D]
#317646 - 11/21/13 07:40 PM

> Agreed. Was I the only one thinking from the beginning not to trust:
>
> - A new account in the community.
> - A person asking for money about a franchise not owned.
> - Making a game some fan community may as well do for free.
> - Using "talking with Capcom" as a polite "shoving it to Capcom's throat when it's
> done".
>
> But overall:
> - A person talking as an infomercial salesman.

I understand it being a new account if the rest had checked out (MW is a prime place to advertise such a thing, after all). But as you noted, the rest *didn't* check out. It smelled like a cynical attempt to "me too" Mighty No. 9.

1) They needed to just be upfront about the IP situation and admit day 1 that it's a fan game named "Demon World", full stop. That would've been honest and would've attracted more backers. I personally would've been interested in something like that. It's simple, honest, and humble.

2) For me, at least, the whole "Capcom will look at it once it's running" thing made everything else they said really sketchy. I can assure you that no viable game publisher has a legal department stupid enough to agree to that arrangement, because the "you saw our game, turned it down, and then Game X had similar mechanics" lawsuit potential is ENORMOUS.

3) The #1 rule of game Kickstarters is that either your team is beyond reproach (Wasteland, the various ex-Sierra projects) or you have a running downloadable playable demo to prove you have a working engine or ideally both.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

#317723 - 11/23/13 12:15 AM

The project admits it will need Capcom’s permission to proceed and has not received one. To its knowledge, Capcom has not been contacted by the project.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5457