MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Windows 8.1 with Media Center is released.
#316100 - 10/18/13 01:40 PM Attachment: w8.1+mc.png 16 KB (0 downloads)

Over 3GB download. My Windows 8 Pro told me to download it through the Windows 8 app store.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

The only reason to touch w8.1 was also released today.... new [Re: Dullaron]
#316101 - 10/18/13 02:10 PM

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-releases-remote-desktop-for-android-and-ios-1447265563

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPDATING! new [Re: italie]
#316111 - 10/18/13 09:02 PM Attachment: MS SUCKS.png 41 KB (0 downloads)

> http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-releases-remote-desktop-for-android-and-ios-1447265563

I just finished updating and I'm kicking myself for it. Number 1 reason is that Microsoft is now forcing you to sign in with a Microsoft Live account and won't proceed without one. It has also screwed up Firefox.... NOT HAPPY.

ETA: Just finding one thing after another that it's fucked up... My D drive has been churning like mad ever since the update completed and won't stop even though I told Windows at the setup not to sync anything at all. The D drive is a mechanical drive with nothing but data - nothing the OS would need to look at. Windows is installed on C:, which is a 120 GB SSD.

ETA2: Now this fucking thing popped up in the upper left-hand-corner and will not fucking go away and I can't click on anything behind it. FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Waremonger (10/18/13 09:24 PM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPDATING! new [Re: Waremonger]
#316118 - 10/19/13 01:28 AM

> >
> http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-releases-remote-desktop-for-android-and-ios-1447265563
>
> I just finished updating and I'm kicking myself for it. Number 1 reason is that
> Microsoft is now forcing you to sign in with a Microsoft Live account and won't
> proceed without one. It has also screwed up Firefox.... NOT HAPPY.
>
> ETA: Just finding one thing after another that it's fucked up... My D drive has been
> churning like mad ever since the update completed and won't stop even though I told
> Windows at the setup not to sync anything at all. The D drive is a mechanical drive
> with nothing but data - nothing the OS would need to look at. Windows is installed on
> C:, which is a 120 GB SSD.
>
> ETA2: Now this fucking thing popped up in the upper left-hand-corner and will not
> fucking go away and I can't click on anything behind it. FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!

I don't have any problem on my end except for the Drive D, K and L. Sometimes those slow loading up ever since I gotten the Windows 8 Pro.

Oh by the way. The Store still freezes up and then acting like it is Apple with that spinning thing on the screen. Half of time it is working. When it crashes I have to completely close it and then start over searching at the Store.

They need to fix their shit. Good thing my iPad and iPod Touch doesn't have a problem. lol

Maybe down the road they will fixes the issues. If not then people will complain even more. lol

Anyway I'm not worrying about the issues. No big deal.

I'd be piss if Microsoft bought out Apple. Not kidding.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#316125 - 10/19/13 03:23 AM

> ETA: Just finding one thing after another that it's fucked up... My D drive has been
> churning like mad ever since the update completed and won't stop even though I told
> Windows at the setup not to sync anything at all. The D drive is a mechanical drive
> with nothing but data - nothing the OS would need to look at. Windows is installed on
> C:, which is a 120 GB SSD.

Sounds to me like the drive is being indexed for faster searching, which is a pain in the ass, even on Windows 7. I always turn it off, since the feature is pretty useless thanks to the crappy "search" function in 7. It might have been turned on again when you installed, check the disk properties to be sure.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#316126 - 10/19/13 04:13 AM

Just wondering what you updated from. 7 or did you already have a version of 8?

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Waremonger
Send PM

Re: I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPDATING! new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#316132 - 10/19/13 05:56 AM Attachment: FF.png 21 KB (0 downloads)

> Just wondering what you updated from. 7 or did you already have a version of 8?

I've cooled off a bit now :-) but still wish I hadn't updated. I was updating from Windows 8 and I was expecting that it would update as Service Packs did in previous versions of Windows. It doesn't - it updates just as if you were coming from a previous version of Windows to Windows 8. I would highly recommend that anyone wanting to install Windows 8.1 without a Microsoft login or if, like me, want to revert to a local login to read this article:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-8-1-without-microsoft-account/

Here's what it's done to Firefox. Hopefully Mozilla will fix it quickly. It's definitely not just my install as I installed Firefox Portable and it looks the same way:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#316133 - 10/19/13 06:00 AM

Go to the display settings, and check "let me choose one scaling level for all displays", and select small (100%) size.

One of the changes in 8.1 is improved scaling, but certain items don't scale well.

Waremonger
Send PM

#316134 - 10/19/13 06:14 AM Attachment: Update.png 40 KB (0 downloads)

> > Just wondering what you updated from. 7 or did you already have a version of 8?
>
> I've cooled off a bit now :-) but still wish I hadn't updated. I was updating from
> Windows 8 and I was expecting that it would update as Service Packs did in previous
> versions of Windows. It doesn't - it updates just as if you were coming from a
> previous version of Windows to Windows 8. I would highly recommend that anyone
> wanting to install Windows 8.1 without a Microsoft login or if, like me, want to
> revert to a local login to read this article:
>
> http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-8-1-without-microsoft-account/
>
> Here's what it's done to Firefox. Hopefully Mozilla will fix it quickly. It's
> definitely not just my install as I installed Firefox Portable and it looks the same
> way:

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering... The only way I could get that "Switch Between Apps" box to go away was to go into Metro mode (which I never use) and click in the corner and then go back to Desktop mode. It popped up while I was in Desktop mode browsing for a solution to go back to a local login and disassociate the Microsoft Login from my install.

Just some of the other shit that has come up off the top of my head:

After updating to 8.1 there is a Windows Update for Windows Defender (definition 1.161.211.0). Windows Update claims it updates successfully bu then when I "Check for updates" that same update is back in there again. I must have done the update at least 10 times now and it just won't accept it even though it says it updated successfully (rebooted a few times, etc).

At least one of my file associations are back to the Windows default instead of using the programs I had set up.
All graphics extensions (png, jpg, etc) used to use IrfanView but Windows put them back to the stupid-ass Metro application... Maybe more have reverted but I haven't been using it long enough to find out yet.

I always do fresh installs of Windows when moving to new version (XP > 7 > but I figured this was just a Service Pack, not a complete OS install. At this point I'll either go back to Windows 7 or fresh install Windows 8.1. I desperately want to go back to Windows 7 and the only reason I haven't before now is because I didn't feel like re-installing and setting everything back up.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Waremonger
Send PM

Re: I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPDATING! new [Re: Reznor007]
#316135 - 10/19/13 06:22 AM

> Go to the display settings, and check "let me choose one scaling level for all
> displays", and select small (100%) size.
>
> One of the changes in 8.1 is improved scaling, but certain items don't scale well.

Well, the problem is that I'm using a 2560 x 1440 monitor and having it set to 100% makes it damned difficult to read lol. Funny how I had the exact same setting on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and never had a problem. It's also odd that Chrome is not having the same issue even though it uses the same graphic for that. I changed it to 100% (Smaller) and then back to 125% (Medium) in the hopes that it would somehow fix it, but no go. Keeping it at 100% is unfortunately not an option as the text is way too tiny at this resolution.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4556