Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon
#315723 - 10/12/13 12:20 AM

http://comofala.tumblr.com/?og=1

If you're wondering about the R's (as in Ráinz):

When a word starts with the letter R, it is pronounced like the English H. For example, in Portuguese, Rio is pronounced "Hee-o".

So, someone named Richard = welcome to Brazil, your name is now "Hishardj". No fucks will be given about how it's supposed to be pronounced. I haven't heard my name pronounced correctly in 8 years.

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: Sune]
#315724 - 10/12/13 12:56 AM

> http://comofala.tumblr.com/?og=1
>
> If you're wondering about the R's (as in Ráinz):
>
> When a word starts with the letter R, it is pronounced like the English H. For
> example, in Portuguese, Rio is pronounced "Hee-o".
>
> So, someone named Richard = welcome to Brazil, your name is now "Hishardj". No fucks
> will be given about how it's supposed to be pronounced. I haven't heard my name
> pronounced correctly in 8 years.
>
> S

Are you saying you live in a country named for an herb not even native to it?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: TriggerFin]
#315725 - 10/12/13 01:00 AM

> Are you saying you live in a country named for an herb not even native to it?

Are you thinking about Basil? There must be some misunderstanding here.

Brazil is named after a tree.

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: Sune]
#315727 - 10/12/13 01:56 AM

> > Are you saying you live in a country named for an herb not even native to it?
>
> Are you thinking about Basil? There must be some misunderstanding here.

"Bhasil."

> Brazil is named after a tree.
>
> S

So, Brazil nuts. Dang, I need food. That meatloaf went away.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: TriggerFin]
#315728 - 10/12/13 02:16 AM

> > > Are you saying you live in a country named for an herb not even native to it?
> >
> > Are you thinking about Basil? There must be some misunderstanding here.
>
> "Bhasil."
>
> > Brazil is named after a tree.
> >
> > S
>
> So, Brazil nuts. Dang, I need food. That meatloaf went away.

If you mention Brazil nuts down here they won't have the faintest idea what you're talking about. In Portuguese those are called "Chestnuts from Pará".

S

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#315738 - 10/12/13 12:04 PM

> > > > Are you saying you live in a country named for an herb not even native to it?
> > >
> > > Are you thinking about Basil? There must be some misunderstanding here.
> >
> > "Bhasil."
> >
> > > Brazil is named after a tree.
> > >
> > > S
> >
> > So, Brazil nuts. Dang, I need food. That meatloaf went away.
>
> If you mention Brazil nuts down here they won't have the faintest idea what you're
> talking about. In Portuguese those are called "Chestnuts from Pará".
>
> S

Come on, surely a Brazil Nut must come from a Brazil Tree.

Next you'll be saying Canadian bacon isn't Canadian, French fries aren't French, and English muffins aren't English!

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#315748 - 10/12/13 08:00 PM

> > If you mention Brazil nuts down here they won't have the faintest idea what you're
> > talking about. In Portuguese those are called "Chestnuts from Pará".
>
> Come on, surely a Brazil Nut must come from a Brazil Tree.
>
> Next you'll be saying Canadian bacon isn't Canadian, French fries aren't French, and
> English muffins aren't English!

Exactly..I have a couple more:

a "Danish" is called (literal translation) "Vienna Bread" in Denmark. Go figure. Try to order an "Austrian" next time.

Most of the best bacon made in Denmark is exported, a lot of it goes to the UK. There used to be an expensive brand in Denmark called "English Bacon", featuring the Union Jack on the package and everything. Made in Denmark!

Down here there's a franchise called "Kopenhagen" that sells fancy chocolate. Brazilians believe that Copenhagen is the chocolate epicenter of the world. But if you ask someone in Denmark they'll tell you that it's Switzerland.

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#315754 - 10/13/13 02:56 AM

There's an Australian ice cream parlour chain called Royal Copenhagen, that has no ties to Denmark as far as I can tell.

In Hong Kong it gets crazy with the way they try to market things as being Japanese. They sell the Japanese version of Pantene shampoo, despite Pantene being a European brand, and the stuff actually being made in Thailand, and the fact that they have to stick a label on the back with product information in Chinese to legally sell it. There are these Edo brand potato crisps that are kinda like Pringles. There are a few lines of Japanese text on the tube, but the rest of it's in Chinese. They're made in Korea by a Korean company, for the Hong Kong market - they don't exist in Japan at all. It's amazing how much more marketable a few lines of Japanese text makes a product in HK.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#315799 - 10/14/13 11:02 PM

> There's an Australian ice cream parlour chain called Royal Copenhagen, that has no
> ties to Denmark as far as I can tell.

Weird. Royal Copenhagen is porcelain, supposedly world famous if you're into that stuff. My grandfather worked for them, but he made porcelain isolators for transformers and power lines. Not so royal. He gave some to my mom, she used them for candle holders!

Saturday the 12th: Police officer shoots motorcycle thief in São Paulo..

S

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#315801 - 10/14/13 11:57 PM

Too sweet... Just to leave the punk laying there in pain in the middle of the road is awesome... Then to just wonder over to him and yell at him every so often... Perfect!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#315806 - 10/15/13 12:33 AM

> Too sweet... Just to leave the punk laying there in pain in the middle of the road is
> awesome... Then to just wonder over to him and yell at him every so often... Perfect!

To be fair, the "bandido" pulled his gun first, so he can't really complain too much about an ensuing shootout.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Brazil looking back at you from across a cultural grand canyon new [Re: Matty_]
#315808 - 10/15/13 02:27 AM

> > Too sweet... Just to leave the punk laying there in pain in the middle of the road
> is
> > awesome... Then to just wonder over to him and yell at him every so often...
> Perfect!

At one time he says something like "now you can steal motorcycles in hell".

> To be fair, the "bandido" pulled his gun first, so he can't really complain too much
> about an ensuing shootout.

Yeah that's what they say. It's difficult to see in the clip.

According to the latest news he was shot in the leg and in the stomach, the bullets have been removed and his condition is stable. His gun had the serial number filed off. They haven't found the other dude yet.

Notice their shirts? Hollister + Abercrombie & Fitch. Bring an extra suitcase full of those if you're coming to Brazil and make a little extra spending money!
Maybe bring a couple of those GoPro cameras as well lol

S

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#315809 - 10/15/13 02:38 AM

> Notice their shirts? Hollister + Abercrombie & Fitch. Bring an extra suitcase full of
> those if you're coming to Brazil and make a little extra spending money!
> Maybe bring a couple of those GoPro cameras as well lol

The proportion of people wearing those brands seems disproportionately high. That sounds like a good plan actually - take money off douches and use it to get pussy or something. I hear Brazilian pussy is supposed to be good, not that I have any experience there, lol.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

In Brazil, video games are taxed higher than firearms. new [Re: Sune]
#316073 - 10/17/13 09:03 PM

The PS4 is going to cost 1,850 USD, the new XBox, around 1000 USD.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-cost-r-4000-b...gamers-outraged

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1524