MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

The Memorial
#315290 - 10/03/13 03:39 AM

I just heard a clip of Jay Carney saying something like "the fact is some services will be closed".

I am sorry but monuments are NOT services and you spend MORE money trying to block people from them than leaving them alone.

If you want to save money you turn off the fountain and let the maintenance folks go but you don't close it and put up barricades to stop the people it was made for from seeing it!

It's a SAD time in America.

There is no law in the arena

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: The Memorial new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315293 - 10/03/13 04:54 AM

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: The Memorial new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315295 - 10/03/13 06:22 AM

> I just heard a clip of Jay Carney saying something like "the fact is some services
> will be closed".
>
> I am sorry but monuments are NOT services and you spend MORE money trying to block
> people from them than leaving them alone.
>
> If you want to save money you turn off the fountain and let the maintenance folks go
> but you don't close it and put up barricades to stop the people it was made for from
> seeing it!
>
> It's a SAD time in America.

I think the issue with monuments is that there would normally be Park Service personnel on duty for security. With no one around to keep an eye out, vandalism becomes a problem. Rather than risk expensive or irreparable damage to monuments, they just close them down entirely.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: The Memorial new [Re: DMala]
#315296 - 10/03/13 06:29 AM

So... hiring more people (or otherwise expending other resources like... police... that are already stretched thin) that costs more than keeping regular security at work is a better solution?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: The Memorial new [Re: URherenow]
#315298 - 10/03/13 06:51 AM

> So... hiring more people (or otherwise expending other resources like... police...
> that are already stretched thin) that costs more than keeping regular security at
> work is a better solution?

Not sure I follow, who's hiring more people? Yes, I suppose it puts an extra burden on the police to make sure no one is jumping the barricades. Then again, they're likely to be called when there's trouble anyway, even on a normal day.

There's probably a little bit of politicking, as well. Barriers and "closed" signs on all of the national monuments makes a pretty powerful statement, and hopefully puts some additional pressure on Congress to get their act together. It's a shit sandwich all around, no matter how you cut it.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: The Memorial new [Re: DMala]
#315300 - 10/03/13 09:10 AM

You have to look at things in a six sigma/theory of constraints kind of way, because that's how the government does its budgeting. Get the hourly wage of the police and/or outside parties that are now protecting the sites and add them up. Compare it with the cost of keeping the few people who were employed to be "security" to begin with. Any excess is waste, with the added waste of work these police/people could be doing otherwise...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

I am without words! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315475 - 10/08/13 03:36 AM

http://washingtonexaminer.com/park-servi...article/2536908

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

And it get's personal. new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315478 - 10/08/13 04:23 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/us-government-shutdown-runs-afoul-hunters-220158579.html

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

The oceans are now closed. new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315482 - 10/08/13 06:23 AM

I wish I was joking.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Here is my fear. new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315484 - 10/08/13 06:39 AM

What if the park is on fire? Then what...? Still can't enter the park while it is burning down to the ground? What if someone put bombs in there and then it get blown to the ground? Where is their thinking when I fear this might happen? These are the questions I be throwing at them. Put them into wake up call. Ton of things could happen in that park.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

You know what still isn't closed? new [Re: GatKong]
#315485 - 10/08/13 07:05 AM

Yo mama's legs! No need to worry about that!

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: Here is my fear. new [Re: Dullaron]
#315489 - 10/08/13 01:07 PM

What if someone put bombs in there and then it get blown
> to the ground? Where is their thinking when I fear this might happen? These are the
> questions I be throwing at them. Put them into wake up call. Ton of things could
> happen in that park.

Stop thinking that everyone has evil intentions towards you (as a country) and your properties. The fear that comes with it is making nobody (on this earth) happier. And if they have, there's nothing you can do to stop it.. Sheer f*ckin' luck that's what that is.

P.S. Sorry for maybe kicking this into the War Room.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Inconceivable! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315517 - 10/08/13 09:43 PM

Congressional Aides Withholding Sex Until Budget Compromise Is Reached

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: Here is my fear. new [Re: RATMNL]
#315538 - 10/09/13 03:25 AM

I just heard something from a documentary film maker who has been in DC interviewing people for like three days and he said something like "If you think you saw a lot of illegal aliens here today, just wait, the Americans are coming!"

BTW, I've NEVER been to the War Room and I don't even know how to get there. My posts don't seem to have that problem though.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

Re: Here is my fear. new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315541 - 10/09/13 03:55 AM

> I just heard something from a documentary film maker who has been in DC interviewing
> people for like three days and he said something like "If you think you saw a lot of
> illegal aliens here today, just wait, the Americans are coming!"

WTF is that even supposed to mean?

> BTW, I've NEVER been to the War Room and I don't even know how to get there. My posts
> don't seem to have that problem though.

Oh really? Quick scan of the war room shows you up:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: Here is my fear. new [Re: Matty_]
#315542 - 10/09/13 04:01 AM

I MUST have gotten there thru a link like you just posted!

BTW: That post is STILL true today.

Edited by *=/STARRIDER\=* (10/09/13 04:09 AM)

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

#315543 - 10/09/13 04:10 AM

> I MUST have gotten there thru a link like you just posted!
>
> BTW: That post is STILL true today.

You don't seem to understand how this works. You posted here and the thread got moved there because you were being inflamatory. Hence you "have that problem".

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#315544 - 10/09/13 04:11 AM

> > I MUST have gotten there thru a link like you just posted!
> >
> > BTW: That post is STILL true today.
>
> You don't seem to understand how this works. You posted here and the thread got moved
> there because you were being inflamatory. Hence you "have that problem".

It will go there soon as it get worst. I'm backing away. lol

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

#315545 - 10/09/13 04:14 AM

No I guess I don't!
I thought of the war room as some secluded room where people were allowed to go at it.
I didn't know it was a Museum. In that case I'm like a famous Artist!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

#315546 - 10/09/13 04:23 AM

> No I guess I don't!
> I thought of the war room as some secluded room where people were allowed to go at
> it.
> I didn't know it was a Museum. In that case I'm like a famous Artist!

It serves both purposes. t0m happily debates conspiracy theories there, and threads that are no longer considered fit for the bin are moved there, where they can be continued or allowed to die.

URherenow
Send PM

Holy crap! new [Re: Matty_]
#315554 - 10/09/13 05:46 AM

I didn't know about it either... and I'm kind of surprised that I don't see any threads there with a post from me

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#315563 - 10/09/13 10:39 AM

> BTW: That post is STILL true today.

lol pretty easy to buy ammo for a .22 rimfire rifle here

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: Inconceivable! new [Re: Gor]
#315571 - 10/09/13 12:00 PM

> Congressional Aides Withholding Sex Until Budget Compromise Is Reached

Whahaha... That Onion... Classic!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

As Homer Simpson famously asked, did we lose a war? new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#315607 - 10/09/13 09:28 PM

Quotes from Jonathan V. Last

Just to be clear, the memorial is an open plaza. There is nothing to operate. Sometimes there might be a ranger standing around. But he’s not collecting tickets or opening gates. Putting up barricades and posting guards to “close” the World War II Memorial takes more resources and manpower than “keeping it open.”

There’s a cute little historic site just outside of the capital in McLean, Virginia, called the Claude Moore Colonial Farm... A group of private citizens set up an endowment to take care of the farm’s expenses. Ever since, the site has operated independently through a combination of private donations and volunteer workers. The Park Service told Claude Moore Colonial Farm to shut down. The farm’s administrators appealed this directive​—​they explained that the Park Service doesn’t actually do anything for the historic site. The folks at the NPS were unmoved. And so, last week, the National Park Service found the scratch to send officers to the park to forcibly remove both volunteer workers and visitors.

At the Vietnam Memorial​—​which is just a wall you walk past​—​the NPS called in police to block access.

But the pièce de résistance occurred in South Dakota. The Park Service wasn’t content just to close Mount Rushmore. No, they went the extra mile and put out orange cones to block the little scenic overlook areas on the roads near Mount Rushmore. You know, just to make sure no taxpayers could catch a glimpse of it.

Think about that for a minute. The Park Service, which is supposed to serve the public by administering parks, is now in the business of forcing parks they don’t administer to close.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: As Homer Simpson famously asked, did we lose a war? new [Re: GatKong]
#315608 - 10/09/13 10:19 PM

Who or whatever truly controls this country is, surely, setting America up for an implosion. Hopefully the people will have enough sense to not riot/loot/kill and participate in whatever else kind of chaos could happen... and actually help each other. Unless martial law is enforced and we're all carted off to internment (FEMA) camps.

If When it happens I won't be surprised. It could still be years away, but this country is slowly turning into more of a police state.

I know this is a lot to gleam from mere gov. and park 'shutdowns', but it has been on my mind for a while now, and these recent events are just one of many other sprinkles on this stale doughnut (what firefox, 'donut' no worky?) of a government.

Bad analogy?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#315611 - 10/09/13 10:53 PM

> Quotes from Jonathan V. Last
>
>
> Just to be clear, the memorial is an open plaza. There is nothing to operate.
> Sometimes there might be a ranger standing around. But he’s not collecting tickets or
> opening gates. Putting up barricades and posting guards to “close” the World War II
> Memorial takes more resources and manpower than “keeping it open.”
>
>
> There’s a cute little historic site just outside of the capital in McLean, Virginia,
> called the Claude Moore Colonial Farm... A group of private citizens set up an
> endowment to take care of the farm’s expenses. Ever since, the site has operated
> independently through a combination of private donations and volunteer workers. The
> Park Service told Claude Moore Colonial Farm to shut down. The farm’s administrators
> appealed this directive​—​they explained that the Park Service doesn’t
> actually do anything for the historic site. The folks at the NPS were unmoved. And
> so, last week, the National Park Service found the scratch to send officers to the
> park to forcibly remove both volunteer workers and visitors.
>
>
> At the Vietnam Memorial​—​which is just a wall you walk
> past​—​the NPS called in police to block access.
>
>
> But the pièce de résistance occurred in South Dakota. The Park Service wasn’t content
> just to close Mount Rushmore. No, they went the extra mile and put out orange cones
> to block the little scenic overlook areas on the roads near Mount Rushmore. You know,
> just to make sure no taxpayers could catch a glimpse of it.
>
>
> Think about that for a minute. The Park Service, which is supposed to serve the
> public by administering parks, is now in the business of forcing parks they don’t
> administer to close.

Meh, it's all just political theater. The Administration wants as much pressure on the Republicans as possible. Shutting down parks and monuments is both highly visible and highly unpopular, and yet it doesn't cause serious damage the way cutting Medicare or soldiers' benefits would.

URherenow
Send PM

#315620 - 10/10/13 02:08 AM

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/10/09/vic...e-farm-to-open/

anyway, I just put your whole post (with the addition of the link above) on my Facebook timeline.

Waiting to get called into the CMC's office in 3 - 2- 1 -...

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

#315770 - 10/14/13 03:03 AM

I guess it meant that American Citizens were going to come join veterans and truckers and take the barricades from the monuments and drop them off in front of the White House in Protest.

A sad but proud day in America.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2151