Pages: 1

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

General rant (un-named online university) - long
#314890 - 09/21/13 05:48 PM

Just blowing off some steam...hoping maybe Andrew will post a reply with a pic of one of his beauties to cheer me up ;-)

So I was one of a small number of people selected by my company to get their Bachelor's degree, paid for in full. Fantastic - very happy, and appreciative seeing as it's something I've wanted to do, but time, family, (and most certainly - funds) have made it difficult for me to pursue otherwise.

Thing is...it's an online university. No problem there....but the navigation is F'kin horrible. Go to the general homepage to login...a second tab opens in Firefox (and IE when I do it at work)....click on the pre-work assignment...a third tab opens. Read through the page and follow the instructions and more tabs open. Before you know it you have 10 tabs open. Is this really necessary?

I don't mind the occasional pop-up quiz, answer the questions and click "submit" and the window closes, returning you to the previous page type scenario...but this is crazy. On top of it, you have PDFs and Word checklists they have you download in tandem with what you're working on.

Then there's the page to verify your software/hardware...it says my Windows Media Player needs to be updated (they require v.11 or greater...and I have v.12)...so I go along with them and click this "upgrade" link which takes me to MS's "GenuineCheck" page - which, when run, says "This version of GenuineCheck is no longer supported"...wtf...google a solution and see "Please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool." Really!? Aw for fks sake...

Oh yea...I running Win7 (all Windows Updates installed) Firefox 24.0 with all plug-ins up to date (I'm a bit OCD about that sorta thing)....

Why can't they have a simple "home" page you land on when you log in...and if you need to post on a discussion forum, or read some assignment, have that page be a one-off which closes and returns you to your home page when completed...

grr....

Edited by dfrance (09/21/13 05:52 PM)

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: General rant (un-named online university) - long new [Re: dfrance]
#314892 - 09/21/13 05:58 PM

They should get someone to do their e stuff right.

My wife works at a large hospital. In order for her to schedule her work hours or look at the work schedule, they require a very outdated version of Java (I think 6). I don't understand why they would require putting a security risk on your PC. Also isn't the newer Java updates supposed to handle older code?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: General rant (un-named online university) - long new [Re: dfrance]
#314893 - 09/21/13 06:20 PM

It's amazing how many businesses have web interfaces that look like they were designed by someone's 12-year-old nephew who just read through "HTML for Dummies". When your business is primarily online, there's just no excuse for it.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

I have all the answers you seek... new [Re: dfrance]
#314899 - 09/21/13 06:48 PM Attachment: 05_ftg.jpg 94 KB (0 downloads)

Why is the site a pile of steaming garbage? Because the site was mostly coded by SA's or the lowest bidder.

Why was a pile of steaming garbage approved? Because the schools "board" (read : people as stiff as) are old, stuck in their ways, and wouldn't know where to begin in validating a proper piece of code from steaming garbage.

Why haven't they fixed it? Because that requires money. And effort. And re-training (or so everyone on said "board" will say). I'll also personally guarantee that fixing it requires an upgrade of some other ancillary component that will be an automatic death nail in the idea. The words "we'll need to upgrade XXX" scare the crap out of anyone making a decision/risk assessment...especially if they don't know anything about the item they are assessing. As long as it is usable in some form it isn't changing. This answer also applies to the hospital scenario mentioned below.

That said, here is your candy. Happy Saturday.

> Just blowing off some steam...hoping maybe Andrew will post a reply with a pic of one
> of his beauties to cheer me up ;-)
>
> So I was one of a small number of people selected by my company to get their
> Bachelor's degree, paid for in full. Fantastic - very happy, and appreciative seeing
> as it's something I've wanted to do, but time, family, (and most certainly - funds)
> have made it difficult for me to pursue otherwise.
>
> Thing is...it's an online university. No problem there....but the navigation is F'kin
> horrible. Go to the general homepage to login...a second tab opens in Firefox (and IE
> when I do it at work)....click on the pre-work assignment...a third tab opens. Read
> through the page and follow the instructions and more tabs open. Before you know it
> you have 10 tabs open. Is this really necessary?
>
> I don't mind the occasional pop-up quiz, answer the questions and click "submit" and
> the window closes, returning you to the previous page type scenario...but this is
> crazy. On top of it, you have PDFs and Word checklists they have you download in
> tandem with what you're working on.
>
> Then there's the page to verify your software/hardware...it says my Windows Media
> Player needs to be updated (they require v.11 or greater...and I have v.12)...so I go
> along with them and click this "upgrade" link which takes me to MS's "GenuineCheck"
> page - which, when run, says "This version of GenuineCheck is no longer
> supported"...wtf...google a solution and see "Please download and run the Microsoft
> Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool." Really!? Aw for fks sake...
>
> Oh yea...I running Win7 (all Windows Updates installed) Firefox 24.0 with all
> plug-ins up to date (I'm a bit OCD about that sorta thing)....
>
> Why can't they have a simple "home" page you land on when you log in...and if you
> need to post on a discussion forum, or read some assignment, have that page be a
> one-off which closes and returns you to your home page when completed...
>
> grr....

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Thanks! :-) - nt new [Re: italie]
#314907 - 09/21/13 08:02 PM

> Why is the site a pile of steaming garbage? Because the site was mostly coded by
> SA's or the lowest bidder.
>
> Why was a pile of steaming garbage approved? Because the schools "board" (read people
> as stiff as) are old, stuck in their ways, and wouldn't know where to begin in
> validating a proper piece of code from steaming garbage.
>
> Why haven't they fixed it? Because that requires money. And effort. And re-training
> (or so everyone on said "board" will say). I'll also personally guarantee that fixing
> it requires an upgrade of some other ancillary component that will be an automatic
> death nail in the idea. The words "we'll need to upgrade XXX" scare the crap out of
> anyone making a decision/risk assessment...especially if they don't know anything
> about the item they are assessing. As long as it is usable in some form it isn't
> changing. This answer also applies to the hospital scenario mentioned below.
>
>
> That said, here is your candy. Happy Saturday.
>
>
> > Just blowing off some steam...hoping maybe Andrew will post a reply with a pic of
> one
> > of his beauties to cheer me up ;-)
> >
> > So I was one of a small number of people selected by my company to get their
> > Bachelor's degree, paid for in full. Fantastic - very happy, and appreciative
> seeing
> > as it's something I've wanted to do, but time, family, (and most certainly - funds)
> > have made it difficult for me to pursue otherwise.
> >
> > Thing is...it's an online university. No problem there....but the navigation is
> F'kin
> > horrible. Go to the general homepage to login...a second tab opens in Firefox (and
> IE
> > when I do it at work)....click on the pre-work assignment...a third tab opens. Read
> > through the page and follow the instructions and more tabs open. Before you know it
> > you have 10 tabs open. Is this really necessary?
> >
> > I don't mind the occasional pop-up quiz, answer the questions and click "submit"
> and
> > the window closes, returning you to the previous page type scenario...but this is
> > crazy. On top of it, you have PDFs and Word checklists they have you download in
> > tandem with what you're working on.
> >
> > Then there's the page to verify your software/hardware...it says my Windows Media
> > Player needs to be updated (they require v.11 or greater...and I have v.12)...so I
> go
> > along with them and click this "upgrade" link which takes me to MS's "GenuineCheck"
> > page - which, when run, says "This version of GenuineCheck is no longer
> > supported"...wtf...google a solution and see "Please download and run the Microsoft
> > Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool." Really!? Aw for fks sake...
> >
> > Oh yea...I running Win7 (all Windows Updates installed) Firefox 24.0 with all
> > plug-ins up to date (I'm a bit OCD about that sorta thing)....
> >
> > Why can't they have a simple "home" page you land on when you log in...and if you
> > need to post on a discussion forum, or read some assignment, have that page be a
> > one-off which closes and returns you to your home page when completed...
> >
> > grr....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 368 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2740