Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

OK, I went and ordered a phone
#314868 - 09/20/13 11:35 PM

Based on...

-Recommendations from several places and one person
-Availability as an unlocked device
-Current(ish) OS
-What the fuck? $300 instead of $700!? I can actually get this instead of that obsolete cheap one.

Nexus 4 from Amazon. Plus protective accessories. (The recommended seller and price keeps changing, and isn't the one I ordered from any more.)

It'll take until about Wednesday to arrive.

As for service, well, I don't do much talking, but if I'm getting a smart phone, I want lots of data.
Certain big names are rather sketchy around here, but I know T-Mobile works, and works with this phone. A couple months ago it was buried in a link at the bottom of a secondary site, but now it's a "Walmart exclusive." Unlimited Text & Data, only 100 minutes of talk, $30 monthly. Needs a T-Mobile SIM. $40 for a "kit" that includes the card.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: OK, I went and ordered a phone new [Re: TriggerFin]
#314884 - 09/21/13 01:15 PM

> Based on...
>
> -Recommendations from several places and one person
> -Availability as an unlocked device
> -Current(ish) OS
> -What the fuck? $300 instead of $700!? I can actually get this instead of that
> obsolete cheap one.
>
> Nexus 4 from Amazon. Plus protective accessories. (The recommended seller and price
> keeps changing, and isn't the one I ordered from any more.)
>
> It'll take until about Wednesday to arrive.
>
> As for service, well, I don't do much talking, but if I'm getting a smart phone, I
> want lots of data.
> Certain big names are rather sketchy around here, but I know T-Mobile works, and
> works with this phone. A couple months ago it was buried in a link at the bottom of a
> secondary site, but now it's a "Walmart exclusive." Unlimited Text & Data, only 100
> minutes of talk, $30 monthly. Needs a T-Mobile SIM. $40 for a "kit" that includes the
> card.

Can you use one of the $10 SIMs they have on their site?
Bring your own device

The Nexus 4 looks pretty sweet.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: OK, I went and ordered a phone new [Re: Gor]
#314885 - 09/21/13 03:22 PM

> Can you use one of the $10 SIMs they have on their site?
> Bring your own device
>
> The Nexus 4 looks pretty sweet.

As far as I know, you need a new T-Mobile SIM and the secret to finding the particular plan. I'd heard of the plan a couple months back, and at the time there was no connection to Walmart made, but the deal was rather hard to find on the T-M site, at the bottom of a page, text only, after some others with images.

Walmart offers it now as either the kit, SIM and code for $40, or just the code via email or store for $30 with new T-Mobile activation. THEY say you need one "from them," so I won't say you don't.

As for the phone, I'd never have bought it without the massive discount, which is nearly in line with bundled contract prices. For the $600-$700 regular price, there are probably better ones (that have SD slots, for example).

Edited by TriggerFin (09/21/13 03:27 PM)

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#314939 - 09/22/13 05:57 AM

> > Can you use one of the $10 SIMs they have on their site?
> > Bring your own device
> >
> > The Nexus 4 looks pretty sweet.
>
> As far as I know, you need a new T-Mobile SIM and the secret to finding the
> particular plan. I'd heard of the plan a couple months back, and at the time there
> was no connection to Walmart made, but the deal was rather hard to find on the T-M
> site, at the bottom of a page, text only, after some others with images.
>
> Walmart offers it now as either the kit, SIM and code for $40, or just the code via
> email or store for $30 with new T-Mobile activation. THEY say you need one "from
> them," so I won't say you don't.
>
>
> As for the phone, I'd never have bought it without the massive discount, which is
> nearly in line with bundled contract prices. For the $600-$700 regular price, there
> are probably better ones (that have SD slots, for example).

I have the T-Mobile 100 minute unlimited data plan on my Nexus 4 phone and I've been satisfied with the plan and the phone. Back when I got it last December or January all you had to do was order a SIM card off of T-Mobile's site for 99 cents and sign up for the plan. Since that time it looks like they've hidden the 100 minute plan for some reason... I guess now that they've gotten rid of their contract plans you have to play games to find the plan you want instead of their overpriced options.

ETA: BTW, it's $32.40 afters taxes and other BS.

Edited by Waremonger (09/22/13 05:58 AM)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#315046 - 09/25/13 09:27 PM

Phone received and activated with SIM kit.

Yes, the $30 data/text plan can be gotten with any new activation.

A bit awkward in that the kit triggers the adding of the payment you've made without needing a separate refill card number, but takes a bit to do so.

Disconnected from WiFi and using phone to send this. Not going to keep doing this, though I may try using it for videos now.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1100