View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Strange graphics when switching on a specific arcade board
#314210 - 09/07/13 02:33 PM

When I start my "Street Fighter II (USA 910206)" board on a supergun, for a little moment you can see an image that looks similar to the one from the test mode:

Only without the numbers and with another background color.

This image only apeears for a little moment (less than a second) when I press the On-switch and then the game starts like it does on MAME.

On the other "Street Fighter II" board (another revision, not sf2ua), this doesn't happen.

Is this an indicator that the board is a bit faulty or do all sf2ua boards have that while it was removed in the later revisions?

Another question: Sometimes when I start the game and go into the first fight, the background music just stops while the sound effects are still there, but distorted. This always only happens at the beginning or not at all. (I.e. when it doesn't happen in battle 1, everything is fine and the music won't stop in the middle of the game anymore.) Is this a problem with my board or a common software-related problem with the game?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Strange graphics when switching on a specific arcade board new [Re: DaRayu]
#314212 - 09/07/13 04:36 PM

Lots of CPS1 games do that with graphics when they first boot and in fact it has been common to arcade games since they were first made. CPS1 also has a problem with fade outs where the screen will be bright for ~1 frame. I haven't noticed the sound thing.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Strange graphics when switching on a specific arcade board new [Re: Smitdogg]
#314215 - 09/07/13 06:12 PM

But why doesn't this happen in MAME? In "Pac-Man" in MAME you do see these scrambled graphics and then that typical grid that so many old games display. But in "Street Fighter II", you never see this. Also, I'm still wondering why only one of my "Street Fighter II" revisions does it. I'm really curious if all boards with the same revision of the game behave the same or if there are differences too. (Like: Is it possible that one sf2ua board does this and another doesn't?)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#314217 - 09/07/13 06:18 PM

Because mame's emulation is rarely that perfect/low level. I think the boards are clearing something out but I don't know what. There are little things like that that mame sometimes just bypasses. A protection could get skipped over instead of emulated correctly and certain functions could be flat out not supported yet. I don't know why certain revs do things differently and if sound is dropping out you might actually have a fault on your board.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#314218 - 09/07/13 06:39 PM

> But why doesn't this happen in MAME? In "Pac-Man" in MAME you do see these scrambled
> graphics and then that typical grid that so many old games display. But in "Street
> Fighter II", you never see this. Also, I'm still wondering why only one of my "Street
> Fighter II" revisions does it. I'm really curious if all boards with the same
> revision of the game behave the same or if there are differences too. (Like: Is it
> possible that one sf2ua board does this and another doesn't?)

Chips, resistors, capacitors, inductors, connectors, voltage levels, etc all have effect board timing. When engineers are designing something, its built to expected tolerances. As the boards get older, and the components start to "wear", you get different behavior that might be out of expected norms. In theory MAME could randomly screw up a bit here and there, or mess with its timings...but why would you want that behavior emulated?

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Strange graphics when switching on a specific arcade board new [Re: italie]
#314222 - 09/07/13 07:42 PM

> As the boards get older, and the components start to "wear", you get
> different behavior that might be out of expected norms.

Do you talk about the sound issue now or about the graphics in the beginning. If it's the latter: So, it is faulty behavior after all and nothing that was there in the first place?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1257