MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

"That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..."
#313336 - 08/24/13 04:04 AM

As it turns out, in "The Avengers"... it was the MSX port of Galaga. (I'm sure a few of you never heard of the MSX, but I'm sure all of you could tell it was a port.)

... and they copied a YouTube video at that.

As I'm sure you guessed, I knew all along it wasn't the real Galaga and I could tell it was gonna be some weird port. Hadn't figured on the YouTube copying.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7866/wfxd.jpg

Thanks to "Vincent van Dam" and "LeandroCorreia" of msx.org forum for the discovery.

Discovery thread:
http://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/msx-avengers-movie?page=1

YouTube at the exact time as in Avengers, belonging to YouTube member "zhouluyi":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnNthHB0FdE&feature=player_detailpage#t=162
(2:42)

More info on the MSX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX

The YouTube video is, of course, probably from an emulator, but I'm not sure.

Thanks to hap for the head's up.

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: "That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..." new [Re: Stiletto]
#313341 - 08/24/13 05:44 AM

The Acting Ensign must be doing some kind of Rookie training simulations...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Yep it is an emulator with that ROM. new [Re: Stiletto]
#313348 - 08/24/13 07:25 AM

I can see the bar at the top of the screen. MESS maybe? Who know what kind of that emulator is. Unless it a UME from Haze website.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: "That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..." new [Re: Stiletto]
#313351 - 08/24/13 07:53 AM

> As it turns out, in "The Avengers"... it was the MSX port of Galaga. (I'm sure a few
> of you never heard of the MSX, but I'm sure all of you could tell it was a port.)
>
> ... and they copied a YouTube video at that.
>
> As I'm sure you guessed, I knew all along it wasn't the real Galaga and I could tell
> it was gonna be some weird port. Hadn't figured on the YouTube copying.

It makes sense, all they needed was an image on the screen and sounds for 2 seconds. It would be crazy to go through the hassle of setting up an emulator and finding ROMs just for that. I'm impressed enough that it was actually some flavor of Galaga. I don't know how many shows, even today, still use a clip of the 2600 port of Pacman when the script calls for "video game sounds".

swm3rd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

#313358 - 08/24/13 05:23 PM

My guess on a similar topic that it was the NES version.

Close enough.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: "That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..." new [Re: DMala]
#313401 - 08/25/13 07:43 PM

> It makes sense, all they needed was an image on the screen and sounds for 2 seconds.
> It would be crazy to go through the hassle of setting up an emulator and finding ROMs
> just for that. I'm impressed enough that it was actually some flavor of Galaga. I
> don't know how many shows, even today, still use a clip of the 2600 port of Pacman
> when the script calls for "video game sounds".

The major studios' sound departments each sell libraries of dozens of CDs worth of sound effects - practical recordings, Foley, electronic, etc. All the studios and most mid-size or larger video game developers have a copy or 3. One of those libraries contains "video game sounds" which are all stuff sampled off 2600 Pac-Man by someone back in the 80s.

WRT the original post, Downey ad-libbed the Galaga reference so it's fairly impressive the art department even pulled in something that actually was Galaga at all.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: "That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..." new [Re: R. Belmont]
#313432 - 08/26/13 04:24 AM

> WRT the original post, Downey ad-libbed the Galaga reference so it's fairly
> impressive the art department even pulled in something that actually was Galaga at
> all.
That would explain why the LEGO set of the same scene features Space Invaders and not Galaga. (I dont own the set but I do own the space invaders part

AtTheMoment
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/08
Send PM

Re: "That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..." new [Re: R. Belmont]
#313436 - 08/26/13 05:40 AM

> > It makes sense, all they needed was an image on the screen and sounds for 2
> seconds.
> > It would be crazy to go through the hassle of setting up an emulator and finding
> ROMs
> > just for that. I'm impressed enough that it was actually some flavor of Galaga. I
> > don't know how many shows, even today, still use a clip of the 2600 port of Pacman
> > when the script calls for "video game sounds".
>
> The major studios' sound departments each sell libraries of dozens of CDs worth of
> sound effects - practical recordings, Foley, electronic, etc. All the studios and
> most mid-size or larger video game developers have a copy or 3. One of those
> libraries contains "video game sounds" which are all stuff sampled off 2600 Pac-Man
> by someone back in the 80s.
>
> WRT the original post, Downey ad-libbed the Galaga reference so it's fairly
> impressive the art department even pulled in something that actually was Galaga at
> all.

Very true. They either use the sounds from the 2600 version of Pac-Man or the 2600 of Donkey Kong. It's ironic they pick two of the worst arcade ports to represent sounds for all of video games.

That's why I was blown away when I saw Tron Legacy. When walking through Flynn's Arcade, every game was 1) A real arcade game 2) Had its correct sounds placed correctly relative to its position in the arcade. The sound designer on that movie was a obviously a video game buff and really cared about getting it perfect.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: "That man is playing Galaga... well, he's playing a YouTube video of the MSX port..." new [Re: AtTheMoment]
#313442 - 08/26/13 06:26 AM

> That's why I was blown away when I saw Tron Legacy. When walking through Flynn's
> Arcade, every game was 1) A real arcade game 2) Had its correct sounds placed
> correctly relative to its position in the arcade. The sound designer on that movie
> was a obviously a video game buff and really cared about getting it perfect.

Yup. There was definite attention to detail in that walkthrough. Shame they didn't have Wendy Carlos score the thing though.

AtTheMoment
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/08
Send PM

#313551 - 08/28/13 12:32 AM

>
> Yup. There was definite attention to detail in that walkthrough. Shame they didn't
> have Wendy Carlos score the thing though.

Daft Punk was a decent choice if they couldn't get Wendy Carlos. The filmmakers also scored extra goodwill points by using Journey (who provided two tracks for the original movie) for the arcade music.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 699 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3215