MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool...
#312951 - 08/16/13 05:33 AM

I can remember my Dad saying "I think one of your friends stole my sunglasses."

"Dad, trust me. None of my friends stole your sunglasses... nobody would ever be caught dead wearing those things."

I wore my long socks rumpled down, would never have been caught dead wearing footies, bent the bill of my baseball cap so it wasn't flat and dorky, listened to music that ruled, and rolled on my longboard because I outgrew scooters when I was 7.

I still do all these things... and I'm soooooo lame.

We're on our way to a skate park.... so my teen can try out his new scooter, which replaces his skateboard. "Dad, jeez, if you're not going to wear footies and insist on long socks, at least pull them up, and take that hat off, the bill is all bent. What the heck's with that, did you sit on it? And can we change the music before we get to the skate park. You know what? Just let me out here, I'll meet you there."

What the?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: GatKong]
#312954 - 08/16/13 06:47 AM

Flat bills and tight jeans. I do not understand these things.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: GatKong]
#312956 - 08/16/13 06:56 AM

> I can remember my Dad saying "I think one of your friends stole my sunglasses."
>
> "Dad, trust me. None of my friends stole your sunglasses... nobody would ever be
> caught dead wearing those things."
>
> I wore my long socks rumpled down, would never have been caught dead wearing footies,
> bent the bill of my baseball cap so it wasn't flat and dorky, listened to music that
> ruled, and rolled on my longboard because I outgrew scooters when I was 7.
>
> I still do all these things... and I'm soooooo lame.
>
> We're on our way to a skate park.... so my teen can try out his new scooter, which
> replaces his skateboard. "Dad, jeez, if you're not going to wear footies and insist
> on long socks, at least pull them up, and take that hat off, the bill is all bent.
> What the heck's with that, did you sit on it? And can we change the music before we
> get to the skate park. You know what? Just let me out here, I'll meet you there."
>
> What the?

I assume footies are short socks that only come up to your ankles? I've never heard the term before, I'd call that style "sneaker socks". Those are alright, although I prefer long socks pushed down. I don't care what the kids say, long socks pulled all the way up is not cool at all if they're at all visible.

And the flat brim thing makes me *insane*. You look like you just pulled it off the shelf and stuck it on your head. A baseball cap's brim is supposed to curve, the tighter the better.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: DMala]
#312959 - 08/16/13 07:16 AM

I've always called them ankle socks myself...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: italie]
#312985 - 08/16/13 03:18 PM

> Flat bills and tight jeans. I do not understand these things.

call me old fashioned, but when i see this i think "he must enjoy the company of men"

RoyalScam
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/23/05
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: yaggy]
#312988 - 08/16/13 04:11 PM

When I see that, I think everytime he farts, his tennis shoes must blow off.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#312991 - 08/16/13 05:42 PM

Just hang on to all that gear and clothing because in another 10 years or so it will be back in style.

What's old is new is old is new again

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: italie]
#312992 - 08/16/13 05:43 PM

Tight jeans, especially for skating. Man their plums must be aching after just 10 minutes.

I can't imagine the pinching

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: yaggy]
#312994 - 08/16/13 06:14 PM

> > Flat bills and tight jeans. I do not understand these things.
>
>
> call me old fashioned, but when i see this i think "he must enjoy the company of men"

In his defense, he's pulling those off a lot better than I would. I'd literally look like a damned sausage.

Also, skinny jeans aren't exactly a new thing. They were part of the early punk look, and that was pushing 40 years ago at this point.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

LOL <nt> new [Re: yaggy]
#313022 - 08/17/13 04:52 AM

> > Flat bills and tight jeans. I do not understand these things.
>
>
> call me old fashioned, but when i see this i think "he must enjoy the company of men"

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: When I was a kid I always thought, unlike my Dad, I would stay cool... new [Re: Hizzout]
#313024 - 08/17/13 04:57 AM

> Tight jeans, especially for skating. Man their plums must be aching after just 10
> minutes.
>
> I can't imagine the pinching

In the late '80s, we wore chinos, dockers and large t-shirts or button-ups as our skate clothing for strictly functional reasons. It was kind of funny that the nascent hip-hop crowd co-opted our gear as their thing a couple of years later, but that's a different deal.

Gah, just can't think about how sucky tight jeans have to be for skating. The tightness, the sweat, the chafing, the stench. Yuck.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 476 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1257