MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Assign Cheat Buttons
#312491 - 08/06/13 10:02 PM

In Killer Instinct, If you go into the cheat menu it mentions in some cheats you can assign button activation. How does one do this exactly.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#312492 - 08/06/13 11:11 PM

> In Killer Instinct, If you go into the cheat menu it mentions in some cheats you can
> assign button activation. How does one do this exactly.

No. The old cheat engine had some way of doing it but since MAME 0.126 or later with the new cheat engine, you cannot other that use F6 to turn ALL selected cheats on or off.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: Tafoid]
#312493 - 08/07/13 12:17 AM

>
> No. The old cheat engine had some way of doing it but since MAME 0.126 or later with
> the new cheat engine, you cannot other that use F6 to turn ALL selected cheats on or
> off.
May I ask why ?
Old cheat engine was VERY useful and removing some functions as this one mentioned here is unhappy regression.
Assigning keys to particular cheats is essential for cheating in some games, so this feature should be resurrected.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: CTOJAH]
#312498 - 08/07/13 02:56 AM

> >
> > No. The old cheat engine had some way of doing it but since MAME 0.126 or later
> with
> > the new cheat engine, you cannot other that use F6 to turn ALL selected cheats on
> or
> > off.
> May I ask why ?
> Old cheat engine was VERY useful and removing some functions as this one mentioned
> here is unhappy regression.
> Assigning keys to particular cheats is essential for cheating in some games, so this
> feature should be resurrected.
The new cheat system is far more flexible and re-uses MAME debugger infrastructure so it's easier to maintain. Cheating in games isn't the primary use case, it's more of a development aid to get to certain points more easily.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: Matty_]
#312503 - 08/07/13 05:23 AM

> The new cheat system is far more flexible and re-uses MAME debugger infrastructure so
> it's easier to maintain. Cheating in games isn't the primary use case, it's more of a
> development aid to get to certain points more easily.

No-one is complaining about the change from cheat.dat to XML, or the debugger interface, people just want to be able to search for cheats without having to open up a debugger or look through assembly code. How long has it been now, 5 years since the search engine was dropped?

Give me a prime example of how to search for a basic life cheat using modern MAME, without using a very old build (where the game in question might not be working or even exist) or an external program like Cheat Engine.

People want to look for a number which decreases when their character dies or loses health/energy/ammo; they don't want to know how it works or which section of code it is from, just the fact that their character now has 2 lives instead of 3, and knowing that one of those 83 values will give you 9/99/127/255 lives when poked, and that those 83 values will become much less every time you die (or if you collect a 1-Up and the life counter goes up - assuming they don't accidentally search for a decreasing value once again). Instead, they hit Tab, move down to Cheats, and MAME simply shows a bunch of already-existing cheats from its database (or no cheats at all, if the game hasn't been covered yet) with no other options to search for them whatsoever. They figure out that you have to open up the debugger instead (mame gamename -debug), then are taken aback by the interface and start thinking "Where the fuck do I go from here?" and close it. All that does is make people run away screaming. I repeat, it's not the XML format or the engine, it's the search interface and lack thereof.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#312505 - 08/07/13 05:39 AM

I agree. IM one of those people running away. Too bad. It looked interesting.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#312507 - 08/07/13 06:28 AM

> > The new cheat system is far more flexible and re-uses MAME debugger infrastructure so
> > it's easier to maintain. Cheating in games isn't the primary use case, it's more of a
> > development aid to get to certain points more easily.
>
> No-one is complaining about the change from cheat.dat to XML, or the debugger
> interface, people just want to be able to search for cheats without having to open up
> a debugger or look through assembly code. How long has it been now, 5 years since the
> search engine was dropped?
>
> Give me a prime example of how to search for a basic life cheat using modern MAME,
> without using a very old build (where the game in question might not be working or
> even exist) or an external program like Cheat Engine.

WTF? This guy was complaining about it being impractical to (de)activate cheats without being able to map keys to them like you used to be able to do. This is a legitimate complaint, but probably not something developers will prioritise. It has nothing to do with searching for cheats.

You don't need to pay any attention to the assembly code to search for cheats with the MAME debugger: just use the cheatinit, cheatrange, cheatnext, cheatnextf, cheatlist and cheatundo commands. There's even (minimal) help available. It's much simpler to drive it with commands in a separate window than to mess with the old OSD menu interface.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Assign Cheat Buttons new [Re: Matty_]
#312525 - 08/07/13 05:32 PM

>
> WTF? This guy was complaining about it being impractical to (de)activate cheats
> without being able to map keys to them like you used to be able to do...

TRUE !

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2511