View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Stereo or mono?
#312127 - 07/28/13 07:45 PM

Is there a place where I can find out which arcade games have stereo sound and which ones have mono sound? Or can this be seen in the MAME source code somewhere?

Or, if there is no list or anything like that, in practice, I need to know it about "Street Fighter II" and "Pac-Man".

Also, if one of these games is in stereo, what is the difference between the left and the right sound output? I'd need an example of a specific sound effect or music that has differences on both sides that I can actually hear when I listen to both outputs separately.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Stereo or mono? new [Re: DaRayu]
#312129 - 07/28/13 08:40 PM

just run a mame.exe -listxml > gameslist.xml command line and check the < sound channels="???" entry in the games you want.

pacman - mono (sound channels 1)
street fighter II - mono

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Re: Stereo or mono? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#312133 - 07/28/13 09:01 PM

Thanks a lot.

Maybe someone should tell the guys from www.arcade-museum.com that they got it wrong since they write "Amplified Stereo (two channel)".

Still, does anybody know an example of stereo sound? Let's take "Super Street Fighter II" which does have two channels (you can even choose between stereo and mono in the game options): Where can I hear something different on both sides?

P.S.: Is that really true? "Street Fighter" from 1987 has two sound channels? "Final Fight" and "Street Fighter II" have only one, but "Street Fighter I" is in stereo???

Edited by DaRayu (07/28/13 09:16 PM)

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#312147 - 07/29/13 01:50 AM

Omega Race has EXCELLENT stereo sound separation. I remember being blown away playing it in the arcades when it first came out. I am sure most of the 90s and newer games are almost all stereo.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#312158 - 07/29/13 05:43 AM

> P.S.: Is that really true? "Street Fighter" from 1987 has two sound channels? "Final
> Fight" and "Street Fighter II" have only one, but "Street Fighter I" is in stereo???

The same game can often be both: the JAMMA standard specifies mono and games can be set to mono to work with that for conversions, but in dedicated cabinets they usually had stereo (especially Capcom QSound games, plus most Sega and Taito games).

In this case, SF1 predates the wide adoption of JAMMA and so anything went.

I gather you're hoping that we'll talk you into cheaping out on the sound for a cabinet build - it's not worth it, and it'll be even less worth it when MAME gains 5.1 output.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3587