Now this is over doing it. lol
#311540 - 07/16/13 05:04 AM

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: joey35car]
#311541 - 07/16/13 05:16 AM

I think all that creaking noise is that control panel tearing apart from the cabinet. Looks like the barstools are the main support.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: Hizzout]
#311542 - 07/16/13 06:06 AM

> I think all that creaking noise is that control panel tearing apart from the cabinet.
> Looks like the barstools are the main support.

I figured it was the floor joists under it ready to give way. That thing has to weigh at least 8 tons.

I bet it's real comfortable leaning across those wheels to get at the joysticks. And *nine* buttons per player?!? Why? And why are there four wheels? Three I could maybe see, for Super Off Road or Super Sprint. But what used four wheels? Demolition Derby (which I don't think will work with that kind of wheel) and Sprint 4? Crazy...

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: DMala]
#311544 - 07/16/13 06:23 AM

It's a real shame that a small forest had to die just to build that monstrosity.

Just because we can do a thing, does not mean that we MUST do that thing. (or build THAT thing)

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#311545 - 07/16/13 06:38 AM

> It's a real shame that a small forest had to die just to build that monstrosity.
>
> Just because we can do a thing, does not mean that we MUST do that thing. (or build
> THAT thing)

That's not a very Cave Johnson attitude.

Speaking of, first promo I saw for Pacific Rim had whatshername, voice of GLaDOS, doing a voice-over. Haven't heard that since.

Edited by TriggerFin (07/16/13 06:38 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: TriggerFin]
#311548 - 07/16/13 10:37 AM

> Speaking of, first promo I saw for Pacific Rim had whatshername, voice of GLaDOS,
> doing a voice-over. Haven't heard that since.

Ellen McLain

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#311551 - 07/16/13 12:36 PM

Seriously, since late Windows 95 era we have this thing called USB ports. That means you can attach and detach controllers at will without rebooting the PC (for the emulator it could be a different matter, but everything is controlled by a front-end so that doesn't matter).

It wouldn't hurt to make detachable control panels with USB ports for every possible configuration you would like and have them shelved next to the cabinet for the very rare cases you would need a special out of the ordinary set up changed in less than 10 seconds. Making the cabinet comfortable too.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: BIOS-D]
#311552 - 07/16/13 03:25 PM

That might work for a custom mame cab company but it's hardly a universal solution.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: BIOS-D]
#311558 - 07/16/13 06:09 PM

> It wouldn't hurt to make detachable control panels with USB ports for every possible
> configuration you would like and have them shelved next to the cabinet for the very
> rare cases you would need a special out of the ordinary set up changed in less than
> 10 seconds. Making the cabinet comfortable too.

Except this never works. Try plugging in three USB controllers and map them the way you want. Then unplug them and plug them in again.

If your controller mappings still match, you got lucky.

S

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#311559 - 07/16/13 06:15 PM

What a shitbox. I'd last about thirty seconds leaning over those steering wheels to use the joystick and NINE buttons before getting annoyed and walking away. The best mame cabinets are the SECOND ones built. Nobody understands ergonomics when they first take on this task.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#311562 - 07/16/13 06:52 PM

Two things that really impressed me.

The positioning of the retractable keyboard, positioned so you don't have to be distracted looking at the monitor.

And, if you notice the extreme close-up of the keyboard confirms the position of the keys spell qwerty, which is nice to see up super-close to confirm the keyboard is of standard configuration with letters stamped with a san sarif font on the keys. Would not have known without that extreme closeup of the upper left hand area of the keyboard.

I think his audio-visual skills are right on par with his design and planning skills.

He also was sure to provide no less than three extreme close-ups of the single unlabeled illuminated mystery button above the monitor. Yes, I see the blue button. Thank you. It's very blue. So this doubles as a tardis does it?

edit:
Oh, I almost forgot my second favorite feature is that you can turn it off by remote control while your friends are playing it because the 44 buttons on the machine can't be gotten to with players in the way. Turn that fucking thing off, already.

Edited by Gatinho (07/16/13 06:59 PM)

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

#311579 - 07/17/13 05:09 AM Attachment: dkbogos.jpg 17 KB (0 downloads)

I am surprised there are not four DK bongos mixed into that mess of a control panel! Give me one warm up and a full round of Robotron and a least two steering wheels would be broke to sheet!!!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: DMala]
#311712 - 07/21/13 01:20 AM

> And why are there four wheels? Three I could maybe
> see, for Super Off Road or Super Sprint. But what used four wheels? Demolition Derby
> (which I don't think will work with that kind of wheel) and Sprint 4? Crazy...

Didn't Sega's Hot Rod use four wheels? I can't remember for sure - of course I'd consult MAWS but...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Now this is over doing it. lol new [Re: Mojo2000]
#311714 - 07/21/13 01:36 AM

There's a 3P and also a 4P version.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1565