View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/10
Send PM

Performance drops and cpu is not even close to being maxxed
#311214 - 07/08/13 02:17 AM

Hey guys....on a couple of games I'm having some slowdown issues, and they are 2d as well....kinda embarrassing. They are all from the same driver.

My cab rig is an i5 2400, Win 7 x64, Mame 148.0, 4 gb ram. The drivers are flagged green as well.

Anyway for giggles when the UNEMULATED slowdown is happening on task manager my cpu is at like 20-30% only. I have multithreading enabled as well.

I tried changing things like dropping sound quality down and such but does not help.

Is there something I can do?

PS-Also when it comes to telling mame in the ini to vsync games....what options exactly do I check? There are like 3 different options concerning syncing refresh rates on games and I just want to make sure everything is correct.

Edited by Trnzaddict (07/08/13 02:18 AM)

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Performance drops and cpu is not even close to being maxxed new [Re: Trnzaddict]
#311216 - 07/08/13 02:32 AM

which driver, and do you get different results if you disable multithreading? afaik its 'less hassle overall' to turn off multithreading, regardless of which processor you are using (because it can cause problems in some games)

regarding sync settings, i personally use:

waitvsync 1
syncrefresh 0
triplebuffer 0
refreshspeed 0

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Performance drops and cpu is not even close to being maxxed new [Re: Trnzaddict]
#311240 - 07/08/13 06:04 PM

What games are you running, and if you hit F11 to show the emulation speed is it 100% when the slowdown occurs? Some original arcade games had very bad slowdown (most infamously Double Dragon, which was programmed in BASIC or something, but there are others) and MAME accurately reproduces that behavior.

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Performance drops and cpu is not even close to being maxxed new [Re: R. Belmont]
#311252 - 07/08/13 09:10 PM

> What games are you running, and if you hit F11 to show the emulation speed is it 100%
> when the slowdown occurs? Some original arcade games had very bad slowdown (most
> infamously Double Dragon, which was programmed in BASIC or something, but there are
> others) and MAME accurately reproduces that behavior.

No no lol that's why I put UNEMULATED slowdown...I totally know the deal with Metal Slug 2, Double Dragon, etc.

I always use the f11 performance gauge when benchmarking games. It's usually always at 100 but yea it drops down to like 80% sound starts skipping then goes back to 100 like 5 seconds later on these games.

Well tbh I compiled my own version of mame and added in the cave drivers.

The 2 games that do this are Muchi Muchi Pork and Espgaluda II.

They both have a habit of dropping framerates when stages start and the first enemies start showing onscreen and usually when a large boss vehicle appears.

It's just strange that I can run Blitz and Gauntlet Legends flawlessly but these 2d games run into issues.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

#311253 - 07/08/13 09:47 PM

Are you serious? You shouldn't expect help about these games here...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#311255 - 07/08/13 09:52 PM

> It's just strange that I can run Blitz and Gauntlet Legends flawlessly but these 2d
> games run into issues.

MAME doesn't currently support those games on request from Cave. Fortunately I'm less official than I used to be...

2D and graphics quality do not correspond in any way to the available CPU power in the original arcade machine or how much PC will be necessary to emulate a given game. (Consider current "indie" games that look crude and pixelated but require modern PCs to run properly). In this specific case, we're talking about games with the same 64-bit CPU that powers the Dreamcast and Naomi, and unlike the case of Blitz or Gauntlet Legends, there is no DRC support to speed up the processor emulation. It happens that at lower skill levels the CPU is relatively lightly used and so it suffices to idle skip the games to bring them within reach of high-end MAME PCs.

However, at the points you see the slowdown, the game is using 100% of the CPU's power and so you are taking the full hit of 133 MHz 64-bit CPU emulation. At higher skill levels, this actually overloads the CPU on the real PCB and causes slowdown. So the only foolproof way to avoid slowdown in these games is the console ports.

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Performance drops and cpu is not even close to being maxxed new [Re: R. Belmont]
#314553 - 09/16/13 12:01 AM

Hey guys, I know Cave is kinda a nono subject here but I wanted to bump this to help others.....thanks goes to the Shmup MAME freaks over at the Shmup forums.

Just for giggles I loaded the cave games having lag on an oc'ed i7 3770k build I just did, same thing. Slowdown with actual game performance (f11 benchmark testing). I knew something was now up. Has to be a config problem.

Now I also noticed how my vertical games were not scrolling smoothly on my cab at 640x480 (a seperate issue that has been bothering me lately). I'm using an lcd mintor, yet on Coinops for my Xbox all vertical games were scrolling smooth as silk.

Even when I screwed with vsync options it made no difference...until someone on the Shmup forums suggested to turn throttling OFF, but synrefresh on and have that handle the throttling. The vertical scrolling choppiness is now gone on vertical games, and the performance drops I was experiencing on MuchiMuchi Pork and Espgaluda II are now gone! They run flawless smooth now.

However, the one thing I had to sacrifice was...multithreading needs to be turned off if not the games run too fast with throttling off no matter what vsync options I try, but to be honest I have tried alot of heavy hitting games and they have not dropped in performance with Multithreading off. What I might do is for games that need it make a seperate ini file for them to have multithreading on.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#314852 - 09/20/13 09:57 AM

> but to be honest I have tried alot of heavy hitting games and they have not dropped
> in performance with Multithreading off. What I might do is for games that need it
> make a seperate ini file for them to have multithreading on.

Exactly right. Games on different hardware behave differently. Some don't care about multi-threading, others do. For those that do, disable it.

Moose

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Performance drops and cpu is not even close to being maxxed new [Re: Moose]
#314867 - 09/20/13 10:21 PM

> > but to be honest I have tried alot of heavy hitting games and they have not dropped
> > in performance with Multithreading off. What I might do is for games that need it
> > make a seperate ini file for them to have multithreading on.
>
> Exactly right. Games on different hardware behave differently. Some don't care about
> multi-threading, others do. For those that do, disable it.

The -mt switch controls only if the final upload of the completed game frame to your video card is threaded off (rather than MAME waiting for the video card to complete it). If you're using a half-decent PCI Express AMD or Nvidia card, this likely does nothing except cause a couple of MAMETesters bugs and there's no performance benefit to having it on.

What the -mt switch does not control is if individual drivers are allowed to marshal additional CPU cores for their own purposes. So, for example, NFL Blitz will cheerfully use your other cores even with -nomt.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2619