View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Elapido
Lurker
Reged: 04/10/04
Send PM

Coindrop effect
#311180 - 07/07/13 02:21 PM

Is the coindrop effect ever going to be added to MAME as a native feature? I suppose you know what I mean: the sound of a coin, followed by a delay until the credit is registered. In case this is not an acceptable idea, could the direct input option be added to mame.ini? Many people like the coindrop effect and use a script to enable it, but it requieres recompiling mame with a simple modification: in osd\windows\input.c change #define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT 0 with #define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT 1 and this puts some users off.

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

Re: Coindrop effect new [Re: Elapido]
#311182 - 07/07/13 03:24 PM

> Is the coindrop effect ever going to be added to MAME as a native feature? I suppose
> you know what I mean: the sound of a coin, followed by a delay until the credit is
> registered. In case this is not an acceptable idea, could the direct input option be
> added to mame.ini? Many people like the coindrop effect and use a script to enable
> it, but it requieres recompiling mame with a simple modification: in
> osd\windows\input.c change #define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT 0 with #define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT
> 1 and this puts some users off.

I could see that being added as a command line switch but I really don't understand why people would want it and can't see more than a small minority actually using it. If that type of realism is important, shouldn't you be using a cabinet with a working coin door anyway?

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Coindrop effect new [Re: McHale]
#311196 - 07/07/13 06:15 PM

I gotta say, I don't want it. There was an external program I downloaded once that actually allowed you to hear a coin drop (can't remember the name of it). I got irritated with it after a day or so and deleted it. I found the program when someone posted a link to it in a forums I was reading. It didn't seem to attract very much interest. So, I gotta agree, I doubt there's a lot of people expressing much interest in such a feature being added

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#311241 - 07/08/13 06:09 PM

> Is the coindrop effect ever going to be added to MAME as a native feature? I suppose
> you know what I mean: the sound of a coin, followed by a delay until the credit is
> registered. In case this is not an acceptable idea, could the direct input option be
> added to mame.ini?

1) It sounds like a cool idea at first, but if you try and live with it it quickly becomes annoying. It's one of those misfeatures of real cabinets where nostalgia is IMO false (sort of like if we simulated Amplifone flybacks going up in flames for Atari vector games).

2) People building illegal for-profit MAME cabinets would benefit greatly from a directinput mame.ini option.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Coin FX new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#311243 - 07/08/13 08:06 PM Attachment: Coin FX.zip 693 KB (64 downloads)

I think this is what you were thinking about. Coin FX....attached

Edited by Antny (07/08/13 08:08 PM)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Coin FX new [Re: Antny]
#311257 - 07/08/13 10:41 PM

> I think this is what you were thinking about. Coin FX....attached

Yeap, I think that's the one. So if anyone wants to hear the sound, they have that option

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#311297 - 07/09/13 01:18 PM

Cool. I'm glad I saw this thread. I've never seen this "add-on" on any MAME related resource website.

Anymore neat add-on thingies that you know of that isn't well known to MAME regulars?

I recently found this:

Johnny 5 Viewer Usage
But I haven't tried it out or learned much about it yet.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#311303 - 07/09/13 05:17 PM Attachment: coin.wav 14 KB (31 downloads)

How does this sound?

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Updated version of Coin FX 0.3.8b new [Re: Antny]
#311312 - 07/09/13 10:15 PM

The version Antny posted is an older version. So does anyone have or know where I can find the most recent version of Coin FX, which is version 0.3.8b. I saw it's existence at a thread on GameEX's forum: http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/8362-coinfx-0351b-released/
But the links on that thread are not working.

MichaelMichael54321
Cautious Forum Poster
Reged: 01/19/13
Loc: U.S.A
Send PM

#311320 - 07/10/13 02:35 AM

Even though this is a great idea as a program, but MAME can't use the same coindrop effect in PinMAME?

What? There's nothing here to say.

GimmeClassics
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/17/13
Send PM

Re: Coin FX new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#311586 - 07/17/13 11:27 AM

> > I think this is what you were thinking about. Coin FX....attached
>
> Yeap, I think that's the one. So if anyone wants to hear the sound, they have that
> option

I'd like to know where I can find this attachment....?

Edited by GimmeClassics (07/17/13 11:28 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Coin FX new [Re: GimmeClassics]
#311599 - 07/17/13 04:26 PM

> I'd like to know where I can find this attachment....?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=311243

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Coin FX new [Re: B2K24]
#311615 - 07/18/13 05:48 AM

Does anyone have the most recent release of this program, which is CoinFX 0.3.8b?

WhoMe
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/28/12
Send PM

Re: Updated version of Coin FX 0.3.8b new [Re: Big Karnak]
#322259 - 02/19/14 09:38 PM Attachment: CoinFX38b.zip 976 KB (24 downloads)

Better late than never and seems to work with windows 8.
Last version as far as I know, the Cracked Console website has been down for a long while now.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Coindrop effect new [Re: R. Belmont]
#322285 - 02/20/14 05:09 AM

>(sort of like if we simulated Amplifone flybacks going up in flames for Atari vector games).

That smell is still burned into my brain. Ozone and plastic....AAahhhhhhh....

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Updated version of Coin FX 0.3.8b new [Re: WhoMe]
#322294 - 02/20/14 07:41 AM

Quote:

Better late than never and seems to work with windows 8. Last version as far as I know, the Cracked Console website has been down for a long while now.

Thanks. Glad you posted it. I'm curious how you found it? I looked everywhere for it and searched extensively but couldn't find it.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#322310 - 02/20/14 04:53 PM

> registered.

I don't see the problem with us adding a sound sample that is played every time a coin is registered. However I think you have it the wrong way round, the coin mech will tell the game a coin has been inserted before it has dropped. Only in the case of coin mechs configured to generate multiple credits per coin will there be a delay (some old games didn't have adjustable credit options so the cost per game was set on the coin mech).

Jdurgi
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: Coindrop effect new [Re: R. Belmont]
#322336 - 02/21/14 02:42 AM

> > Is the coindrop effect ever going to be added to MAME as a native feature? I
> suppose
> > you know what I mean: the sound of a coin, followed by a delay until the credit is
> > registered. In case this is not an acceptable idea, could the direct input option
> be
> > added to mame.ini?
>
> 1) It sounds like a cool idea at first, but if you try and live with it it quickly
> becomes annoying. It's one of those misfeatures of real cabinets where nostalgia is
> IMO false (sort of like if we simulated Amplifone flybacks going up in flames for
> Atari vector games).
>
> 2) People building illegal for-profit MAME cabinets would benefit greatly from a
> directinput mame.ini option.

Heh. When I first bought my house I had plans to build a full arcade cabinet using a coin-mech and everything. I bought a whole bunch of joysticks, spinners, trackballs, buttons, etc. before I realized that I don't have space in my house to put one. Heh. I bought a beat-up coin door with coin-mechs, coin counter, etc. for about $10-$20 on E-Bay. Spent some time hammering the dents out, removing rust, then spraying the thing with Hammered Black Spray Paint. Thing looks brand new now. Though I don't have a cabinet to put it in, it works AMAZING as a piggy bank of sorts and anytime I get a quarter I still get a nice bolus of nostalgia as I pop the quarter in there.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3889