View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

hidensity42
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/17/13
Send PM

Help, MALA hates me!
#310735 - 06/24/13 07:58 AM

OK first i am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but it seemed the closest forum for frontends i could find...please redirect if necessary.

Mala is a very nice frontend. It has all the features I want. It even runs some games that mame wont run by itself by some miracle...

Problem is, it produces god awful screen tearing. I have tried editing every option I can but never get any different result at all. Even manually editing the .ini, but when it runs through mala the effect is the same. Also i have a D3 D capable video card but mala keeps turning the option to use it back off and I have never been able to get it to run a filter either (bilinear antrioscopic, etc.)

**mameuifx32 runs these same games with the same options I pick in mala but it actually remembers them and runs them properly with zero tearing. But i hate the interface on this program.

Can someone please help me get mala running, or should i just give up and use the mameuifx even though it is ugly clunky and devoid of additional features?

HELP!

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: Help, MALA hates me! new [Re: hidensity42]
#310766 - 06/24/13 09:04 PM

> Can someone please help me get mala running, or should i just give up and use the
> mameuifx even though it is ugly clunky and devoid of additional features?

You always can write in your preferred language your own frontend, since the ones you're using don't satisfy your needs and are as you wrote pure shit.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Help, MALA hates me! new [Re: hidensity42]
#310822 - 06/26/13 05:42 AM

> OK first i am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but it seemed the closest forum for
> frontends i could find...please redirect if necessary.
>
> Mala is a very nice frontend. It has all the features I want. It even runs some games
> that mame wont run by itself by some miracle...
>
> Problem is, it produces god awful screen tearing. I have tried editing every option I
> can but never get any different result at all. Even manually editing the .ini, but
> when it runs through mala the effect is the same. Also i have a D3 D capable video
> card but mala keeps turning the option to use it back off and I have never been able
> to get it to run a filter either (bilinear antrioscopic, etc.)
>
> **mameuifx32 runs these same games with the same options I pick in mala but it
> actually remembers them and runs them properly with zero tearing. But i hate the
> interface on this program.
>
> Can someone please help me get mala running, or should i just give up and use the
> mameuifx even though it is ugly clunky and devoid of additional features?
>
> HELP!

Just a thought... when you post to the place where the authors of these things hang out, maybe keep the barbs to yourself when you're asking for help.

It sounds like MALA is running at a resolution and/or refresh rate other than what you want, and MAME isn't switching it to the right one. The easiest way to check this is to go into your MAME ini and set the resolution explicitly, i.e. 1024x768@85 or whatever the best your monitor can handle is. Also find the 'switchres' option and set it to 1. This should let MAME use the right video mode, regardless of what MALA sets it to.

If that works, you can either leave it like that, or you can find a way to set the resolution/refresh rate in MALA to match what you need in MAME.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Help, MALA hates me! new [Re: Mamesick]
#310826 - 06/26/13 11:33 AM

> > Can someone please help me get mala running, or should i just give up and use the
> > mameuifx even though it is ugly clunky and devoid of additional features?
>
> You always can write in your preferred language your own frontend, since the ones
> you're using don't satisfy your needs and are as you wrote pure shit.

Yeah, but in the case of MAMEUI (not sure about FX, haven't used it), it actually is unmaintained shit, and I actually have written my own frontend, so you can't use your usual retort on me.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Help, MALA hates me! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#310828 - 06/26/13 11:51 AM

> > > Can someone please help me get mala running, or should i just give up and use the
> > > mameuifx even though it is ugly clunky and devoid of additional features?
> >
> > You always can write in your preferred language your own frontend, since the ones
> > you're using don't satisfy your needs and are as you wrote pure shit.
>
> Yeah, but in the case of MAMEUI (not sure about FX, haven't used it), it actually is
> unmaintained shit, and I actually have written my own frontend, so you can't use your
> usual retort on me.

I don't care too much about MAMEUI. John IV made his decision in the past to dedicate the efforts to his nice IV/Play frontend. MAMEUI is maintained by fans (or hackers, as someone else said here in the past... curiously one of them is a MAME/MESS Developer...) and I wouldn't call it shit. Though this guy is saying that MAMEUIFX is "ugly clunky" so that's why I invited him to write his own frontend. Instead of explaining things, he's simply spitting shit on my work. That's all. No retorts on you or anyone else.

Edited by Mamesick (06/26/13 11:52 AM)

hidensity42
MAME Fan
Send PM

Not a barb, stop flamin! Question/apology inside new [Re: Mamesick]
#310833 - 06/26/13 02:19 PM

OK I think you guys are just looking to get offended here, I didnt put out any "barb" Im simply telling the truth. I would like to have a reasonable question asked and answered and not start a troll session or flame war. I never called anything "shit" that was some other guy in the comments. I never used any derogatory or hurtful words.

I can write my own frontend for it. Thats not the point. I can run it correctly from command line, so of course all I would have to do is build a simple interface to imput those variables each time. The problem is, if I wrote one, either in C++ or just a simple html5 interface, mine would also be ugly and clunky. If the author of mameuifx is actually on here and reading this, apologies, you have written something quite useful and should be proud of it. You should also know that it is well, kinda ugly and clunky. Thats not a barb, thats just the truth. Every frontend has its pros and cons. The pros are that yours works splendidly. The cons are, well....previously stated.

Now back to the mala problem...It is not running in the wrong resolution. It refuses to remember any of my settings, whether that be a res change or turning tripple buffer or vsync on, whathave you. It just starts up without these options no matter what. I have a renamed mame .148 executable of !mame.exe and have written a !mame.ini and a mame.ini According to mame law it should check for one of these and then if it is not there go on to the next one. Even after manually turning on my options in the .inis if I use mame to execute then the options do not work. If I use mameuifx they do. If I go command line they do.

Any thoughts?

PS to anyone who wastes their time programming for the masses, thank you.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Not a barb, stop flamin! Question/apology inside new [Re: hidensity42]
#310840 - 06/26/13 05:04 PM

Well, what you consider "ugly" and "clunky" is judged by other FX users "nice" and "friendly". So it's a matter of personal opinion.

For the rest, I never used MALA frontend in the past and I cannot help you in this way. The problem seems that your settings are not stored in the MALA directory. Maybe you have read-only folders/files. Just an idea.

hidensity42
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Not a barb, stop flamin! Question/apology inside new [Re: Mamesick]
#310853 - 06/27/13 02:05 AM

It is very friendly and easy to use. I am just looking for something skinnable. Purely asthetic. I only need to run one set of params for all my games, really something as simple as triple buffer and vsync work on all the roms i need, and i just want a way to pretty the interface up. No offense was meant. You are a terrific programmer and an asset to emulation.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Help, MALA hates me! new [Re: Mamesick]
#310855 - 06/27/13 02:46 AM

> I don't care too much about MAMEUI. John IV made his decision in the past to dedicate
> the efforts to his nice IV/Play frontend. MAMEUI is maintained by fans (or hackers,
> as someone else said here in the past... curiously one of them is a MAME/MESS
> Developer...) and I wouldn't call it shit. Though this guy is saying that MAMEUIFX is
> "ugly clunky" so that's why I invited him to write his own frontend. Instead of
> explaining things, he's simply spitting shit on my work. That's all. No retorts on
> you or anyone else.

MAMEUI wasn't even being maintained by John IV in any real sense of the word. He just barely keeping it running, and he knew it. The current crop of fans aren't doing any better. It's been years since anyone with the vision/skills necessary had any interest in working on it.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Help, MALA hates me! new [Re: Matty_]
#310858 - 06/27/13 04:17 AM

And yet it's still the best.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1850