MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games?
#310716 - 06/24/13 03:24 AM

I'm messing around with the MAME HLSL configuration to have scanlines in my games, and it's working like a charm with all my horizontally oriented games.

However, when I apply those settings to my vertical games, such as Karate Champ, Tokio, among others, the scanlines are automatically turned 90 degrees and placed vertically. The odd thing here is that I remember playing those vertical oriented games back in the real arcade machines and their scanlines were horizontal as well, just as the other games with horizontal orientation.

How can I make HLSL to display horizontal scanlines in my vertical games?

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#310720 - 06/24/13 04:25 AM

> The odd thing here is that I remember playing those vertical oriented
> games back in the real arcade machines and their scanlines were horizontal as well,
> just as the other games with horizontal orientation.

that is incorrect and impossible, due to the way the beam in a standard arcade monitor (or eg. crt tv) works.

however, i agree it would be nice to have the option to choose between horizontal or vertical scanlines =]

EDIT --- or below...both at once: (gets a bit dull looking though...)

Edited by grog (06/24/13 05:17 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: grog]
#310726 - 06/24/13 04:55 AM

With the "added details" from some arcade crt monitors you could sometimes see lines going both ways.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310729 - 06/24/13 06:45 AM

> With the "added details" from some arcade crt monitors you could sometimes see lines
> going both ways.

Yeah, but that would be a shadow mask effect from a Trinitron-style grille mask, not scanlines. HLSL supports simulating shadow masks doesn't it?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: Matty_]
#310731 - 06/24/13 07:00 AM

I don't know the all details about the latest effects capabilities or exactly what all it is about the original monitors it simulates in each setting. I spend most of my game time playing on my supergun with a crt tv and when I do play mame a simple prescale to get rid of the blur is satisfactory.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#310742 - 06/24/13 12:57 PM

> The odd thing here is that I remember playing those vertical oriented
> games back in the real arcade machines and their scanlines were horizontal as well,
> just as the other games with horizontal orientation.

Your mind is playing tricks on you.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: ]
#310756 - 06/24/13 05:39 PM

> > The odd thing here is that I remember playing those vertical oriented
> > games back in the real arcade machines and their scanlines were horizontal as well,
> > just as the other games with horizontal orientation.
>
> Your mind is playing tricks on you.

Heh, It has been a looong time ago, but I have a feeling that my mind is not playing tricks on me...

Here, take this Karate Champ picture below as an example. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing horizontal lines in that image, and that's what I remember from my experience (note that this is a professional flyer and it's a picture from the real game monitor):

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=5437&image=1

Take a look at the fighter's faces and at the red fighter clothes. Those are horizontal lines in the exact way I remember it. If someone has the actual KC machine to take us a picture of it which differs from the flyer, then I will shut my mouth about it.

So, is it possible to achieve the result from the image above in MAME? I would love to have horizontal scanlines in vertical games too because those vertical lines HSLS currently does don't feel 'right' to me

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310763 - 06/24/13 07:23 PM

> Your mind is playing tricks on you.

Heh, It has been a looong time ago, but I have a feeling that my mind is not playing tricks on me...

Here, take this Karate Champ picture below as an example. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing horizontal lines in that image, and that's what I remember from my experience (note that this is a professional flyer and it's a picture from the real game monitor):

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=5437&image=1

Take a look at the fighter's faces and at the red fighter clothes. Those are horizontal lines in the exact way I remember it. If someone has the actual KC machine to take us a picture of it which differs from the flyer, then I will shut my mouth about it.

So, is it possible to achieve the result from the image above in MAME? I would love to have horizontal scanlines in vertical games too because those vertical lines HSLS currently does don't feel 'right' to me

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#310764 - 06/24/13 08:21 PM

> So, is it possible to achieve the result from the image above in MAME? I would love
> to have horizontal scanlines in vertical games too because those vertical lines HSLS
> currently does don't feel 'right' to me

Those aren't scanlines, they're the phosphor arrangement. Use a similar phosphor overlay and you're fine, as this has nothing to do with any HLSL effects.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#310765 - 06/24/13 08:57 PM

> > So, is it possible to achieve the result from the image above in MAME? I would love
> > to have horizontal scanlines in vertical games too because those vertical lines
> HSLS
> > currently does don't feel 'right' to me
>
> Those aren't scanlines, they're the phosphor arrangement. Use a similar phosphor
> overlay and you're fine, as this has nothing to do with any HLSL effects.

Right. Though IIRC very old versions of MAME (before 0.107 video rewrite) were used to display horizontal scanlines also on vertical games... which was wrong. I know some gamers are still on those old versions for this reason and mainly for the "integer scaling Direct Draw stretching" that is implemented.

Edited by Mamesick (06/24/13 09:25 PM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#310768 - 06/24/13 10:06 PM

> Those aren't scanlines, they're the phosphor arrangement. Use a similar phosphor
> overlay and you're fine, as this has nothing to do with any HLSL effects.

How can I do that phosphor overlay? Which parameters may I have to use to achieve this? Please help me.

And thanks for the explanation everybody

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: HLSL - How to get horizontal scanlines on vertical games? new [Re: grog]
#310769 - 06/24/13 10:36 PM

Yay, it's MAME 0.37 again! Can't believe we used to do that so many years ago.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#310770 - 06/24/13 11:33 PM

In your HLSL section of your kchamp ini file set these variables:
shadow_mask_alpha 0.5
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
shadow_mask_x_count 256
shadow_mask_y_count 247
shadow_mask_usize 0.09375
shadow_mask_vsize 0.109375

This is assuming you are running at 1920x1080 on a 16:9 monitor. If your resolution is different you may need to adjust the X and Y count to get rid of any moire effects.

Zetmor
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/21/13
Send PM

#311720 - 07/21/13 03:27 AM

Well ...
... right-click on artwork\scanlines.png
... and click the option "Rotate clockwise".
You're welcome.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5961