Pages: 1

Derrick Renaud
Discrete Coder
Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: The Local Pub
Send PM

Spica Adventure - WTF
#310652 - 06/22/13 03:43 AM

Just watched part of the vid for Spica Adventure on MAME Chat, can you even die in that game? Do people just want to be rewarded without even having to try anymore. Bring back Space Invaders.

It looks too hard for a 2 yr old, but too easy for anyone above 3.

My rant for the day.
D.

Do not p-mail me for help compiling my updates, ask on the board.
Do not request sound for your favorite game. I work on whatever, when I get around to it.
If you have schematics for discrete sound games not easily found on the net, I would be interested.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: Derrick Renaud]
#310653 - 06/22/13 04:03 AM

It looks crazy easy. I wanted a weirdo platformer that wasn't in mame and figured it might sublim a dev into starting a Type X skeleton. Your rant is a welcome bonus.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Mary Poppins meet Arcade. new [Re: Derrick Renaud]
#310654 - 06/22/13 04:25 AM

Hell ya.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: Derrick Renaud]
#310655 - 06/22/13 04:56 AM

> Just watched part of the vid for Spica Adventure on MAME Chat, can you even die in
> that game? Do people just want to be rewarded without even having to try anymore.
> Bring back Space Invaders.
>
> It looks too hard for a 2 yr old, but too easy for anyone above 3.
>
> My rant for the day.

Games have a whole different mentality these days. It's not a question of if you can beat them, it's just a matter of whether you have enough time to invest to get to the end. I can't tell you how many 8- and 16-bit console games I've gone back and played, only to realize that, as a kid, I never made it past the first 2-3 levels. Heck, it took me 20 years to beat Mega Man. I don't know that it's inherently better or worse, but being good at a game definitely meant more back in the day.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: DMala]
#310659 - 06/22/13 05:43 AM

There are still hard games if you look in the right places but I get your point. I'm not sure we should call Spica Adv. a game from these days though. It's like 8 years old. That's like 45 in video game years.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#310672 - 06/22/13 01:10 PM

> I can't tell you how many 8- and 16-bit console games I've gone back and played,
> only to realize that, as a kid, I never made it past the first 2-3 levels. Heck, it
> took me 20 years to beat Mega Man. I don't know that it's inherently better or worse,
> but being good at a game definitely meant more back in the day.

I've become a worse player apparently. I've gone back to revisit games that I could beat with my eyes shut as a kid (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Mega Man, Lifeforce to name a few) and they absolutely destroy me these days.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310680 - 06/23/13 04:48 AM

> There are still hard games if you look in the right places but I get your point. I'm
> not sure we should call Spica Adv. a game from these days though. It's like 8 years
> old. That's like 45 in video game years.

In video game years, I'm a fossil. I first noticed the decline of difficult games in probably the late 90s, so it's been going on for a while now.

And yeah, there are still hard games, but they tend to be niche games - deliberately retro games and bullet hell shooters and whatnot.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#310681 - 06/23/13 04:56 AM

Yep.

In regard to Allnatural's reply, you haven't really lost it, we're not nearly old enough to have our eye hand coordination etc. go to shit. It's just a matter of being in practice. Especially with something like Tyson's Punchout, so much of it is a matter of being in practice / memorizing enemy timing. Can't really clear it without current practice. Something like Super Mario or Megaman I bet would come back quickly with a little practice too. It has been that way for me at least.

According to a cheese movie I saw the other day, the average age of a gamer today is 37.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: Allnatural]
#310683 - 06/23/13 05:40 AM

> I've become a worse player apparently. I've gone back to revisit games that I could
> beat with my eyes shut as a kid (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Mega Man, Lifeforce to name
> a few) and they absolutely destroy me these days.

Are you playing the original consoles on a CRT television?

I've found that certain types of games are often harder to play on emulators (even on the Wii) because the timing seems to be "off" somehow. Then, if you play them on an HDTV, the timing is really off because of lag. HDTVs with "game mode" help a lot, but they still seem slightly off.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: krick]
#310684 - 06/23/13 05:53 AM

Input lag. She is ze biggest bitch of zem all.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: Smitdogg]
#310685 - 06/23/13 06:10 AM

> According to a cheese movie I saw the other day, the average age of a gamer today is
> 37.

Hmmm... So Orc is above average in some ways?

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: snake78]
#310686 - 06/23/13 06:14 AM

He is above average in the number of times someone shits their pants. It's cool because he holds the record in the seniors bracket as well as baby and toddler diaper brackets.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: krick]
#310696 - 06/23/13 01:51 PM

> I've found that certain types of games are often harder to play on emulators (even on
> the Wii) because the timing seems to be "off" somehow. Then, if you play them on an
> HDTV, the timing is really off because of lag. HDTVs with "game mode" help a lot, but
> they still seem slightly off.

Using emulators on the PC, with a CRT monitor and an N64 controller (that glorious d-pad) with USB adapter. It's true that things "feel" a bit off, especially dodging in Punch-Out. Whatever the reasons, it's still rather humbling to be laid out like a little bitch by Great Tiger.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#310704 - 06/23/13 05:22 PM

Laid out by great tiger? With an Adaptoid? The problem is that you just suck. I'll admit it takes me a few times of using the warp-straight-to Tyson code to defeat him (but what do you expect from a 1 hit knock-down?) but I can get TO him pretty much any time.

If tiger kicks your butt, how do you manage Soda Popinski?

edit: and by the way, there is much more blocking involved with Tiger than dodging... that may be your problem!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: Spica Adventure - WTF new [Re: URherenow]
#310772 - 06/25/13 12:04 AM

> Laid out by great tiger? With an Adaptoid? The problem is that you just suck. I'll
> admit it takes me a few times of using the warp-straight-to Tyson code to defeat him
> (but what do you expect from a 1 hit knock-down?) but I can get TO him pretty much
> any time.
>
> If tiger kicks your butt, how do you manage Soda Popinski?
>
> edit: and by the way, there is much more blocking involved with Tiger than dodging...
> that may be your problem!

I always dodged Great Tiger's teleport punch. Good for the stamina.

The whole game was a doddle when I was a kid. It was a good feeling being the first kid in the neighborhood to beat Tyson.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#310778 - 06/25/13 02:18 AM

> The whole game was a doddle when I was a kid.

According to the dictionaries I've consulted, "doddle" is a word from the language of "small marine animals forming the food of whalebone whales," or "the young of herring and sprat," or may also mean "a tree cut back to the trunk to promote the growth of a dense head of foliage" as a synonym for "pollard."

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2694