yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

Nintendo sounds???
#310330 - 06/16/13 03:07 AM

Hey guys,

I see a number of posts regarding the jumpman running sound on Donkey Kong not being true to the arcade sound. While it may not be perfect, it's pretty darn good. Donkey Kong Junior and Mario Bros on the other hand...the running sound on each of those appears to be off quite a bit. Even the jump sound and thud when DK Junior lands appears to be off. Are these in the works to be corrected? It seems like they were just fine a few revisions ago. If so, cool. Just wanted to see what the skinny was.

Also...off the Nintendo topic...are the explosion sounds in Asteroids Deluxe really quiet and off a bit? Asteroids seems fine.

Thanks,
Jason

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Nintendo sounds??? new [Re: yoeddy]
#310332 - 06/16/13 04:37 AM

> Hey guys,
>
> I see a number of posts regarding the jumpman running sound on Donkey Kong not being
> true to the arcade sound. While it may not be perfect, it's pretty darn good. Donkey
> Kong Junior and Mario Bros on the other hand...the running sound on each of those
> appears to be off quite a bit. Even the jump sound and thud when DK Junior lands
> appears to be off. Are these in the works to be corrected? It seems like they were
> just fine a few revisions ago. If so, cool. Just wanted to see what the skinny was.
>
> Also...off the Nintendo topic...are the explosion sounds in Asteroids Deluxe really
> quiet and off a bit? Asteroids seems fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Mario is noted in an MT report as being incorrect and known.
Donkey Kong Jr. has been fairly accurate since the samples left (we had a regression which was fixed in 0.140), but otherwise should be as near as we can be with discrete sound.

As far as Asteroids Deluxe, it might be more a case of Pokey volume being too high rather than discrete being too low. Find some reference recodings and compare, I guess.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Nintendo sounds??? new [Re: Tafoid]
#310345 - 06/16/13 07:33 AM

Thanks Tafoid. I actually played DK Junior today at a local arcade and the video below sounds pretty much dead on with what the arcade machine sounds have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_nBVZr_xHI

Current 0.149 and a few revisions back don't sound anything close to that...at least the jump, and thud sounds.

Here's a clip of Asteroids Deluxe...explosions are very faint in 0.149 by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xFOAKKVW8

Thanks,
Jason

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#310351 - 06/16/13 10:13 AM

For ASTDELUX, try adjusting the DISCRETE & POKEY sound settings in the slider options.

I have DISCRETE raised all the way up to 2.0 & POKEY lowered down to 0.20. That makes it sound a lot better IMO

I'm jealous that you have a local arcade w/ DKJr near you. Or an arcade in general

Edited by Envisaged0ne (06/16/13 10:16 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Nintendo sounds??? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#310375 - 06/16/13 07:13 PM

> For ASTDELUX, try adjusting the DISCRETE & POKEY sound settings in the slider
> options.
>
> I have DISCRETE raised all the way up to 2.0 & POKEY lowered down to 0.20. That makes
> it sound a lot better IMO
>
> I'm jealous that you have a local arcade w/ DKJr near you. Or an arcade in general

Yup, those adjustments seemed to have fixed up the sound for Asteroids Deluxe.

Thanks!
Jason

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#310401 - 06/17/13 02:15 AM

> Thanks Tafoid. I actually played DK Junior today at a local arcade and the video
> below sounds pretty much dead on with what the arcade machine sounds have:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_nBVZr_xHI

That video is from an old version MAME with an overlay, probably with samples. That cannot be used as any type of reference.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Nintendo sounds??? new [Re: Tafoid]
#310410 - 06/17/13 04:34 AM

> > Thanks Tafoid. I actually played DK Junior today at a local arcade and the video
> > below sounds pretty much dead on with what the arcade machine sounds have:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_nBVZr_xHI
>
> That video is from an old version MAME with an overlay, probably with samples. That
> cannot be used as any type of reference.

Understood. I was just saying that the sounds in that video sounded like what was in the DKJ that I played. The one in MAME is quite different.

Here is a video of an arcade machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvZGVryjRc

Thanks,
Jason

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#310433 - 06/17/13 12:07 PM

I listened carefully to the arcade sounds from the video you posted, and then played the game in Mame .149. I honestly couldn't tell the difference :-/

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#310435 - 06/17/13 12:43 PM

I'm not an expert on any of this discrete sound.

However it's likely that it will sound like a freshly manufactured machine using perfect components. The components might not have been perfect to begin with and they don't get any better with age.

It might be a bug, or there might be something that can be done to age the components in the emulation. However there are very few people with the skills to do anything with this and they aren't currently actively working on it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1470