Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: I witnessed a death today. new [Re: italie]
#308729 - 05/16/13 12:04 AM

> Excellent way to start your Tuesday.
>
> //Put the cell phone down people...

Old story, but relevant...http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/04/texting-while-driving-accident-chance-bothe/

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

#308732 - 05/16/13 01:12 AM

killed?

i learned everything i know from KC

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: I witnessed a death today. new [Re: jopezu]
#308734 - 05/16/13 02:54 AM

> killed?

kolt.

http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/2013/05...ods-bike-trail/

On my motorcycle, from row seat. Blocked traffic, but not much else to be done...Gone before the medics arrived.

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#308735 - 05/16/13 03:27 AM

> > killed?
>
> kolt.
>
>
> http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/2013/05...ods-bike-trail/
>
> On my motorcycle, from row seat. Blocked traffic, but not much else to be done...Gone
> before the medics arrived.

Wow, that was some shitty reporting. So was it a bicycle or motorcycle that was hit? The reporter keeps going back and forth interchangeably.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I witnessed a death today. new [Re: Waremonger]
#308738 - 05/16/13 05:31 AM

> > > killed?
> >
> > kolt.
> >
> >
> >
> http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/2013/05...ods-bike-trail/
> >
> > On my motorcycle, from row seat. Blocked traffic, but not much else to be
> done...Gone
> > before the medics arrived.
>
> Wow, that was some shitty reporting. So was it a bicycle or motorcycle that was hit?
> The reporter keeps going back and forth interchangeably.

Bicycle vs car. Lady on the bike was wearing a helmet AND a red safety vest, still got hit an bled out. I think lot of the witnesses reported that it was a motorcyclist hit, because I had my motorcycle blocking traffic till the medics arrived. You couldn't really see the biker from behind a second car that stopped in front of where she landed. Still, shitty reporting...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#308739 - 05/16/13 06:01 AM

> Bicycle vs car. Lady on the bike was wearing a helmet AND a red safety vest, still
> got hit an bled out.

Ugh, that scares me. I started riding a couple of years ago. I stick to trails mostly, but you can't avoid a certain amount of riding in traffic. I try to be super cautious, but still, you never know. Most of the fatalities around here are people getting doored and flung into traffic. For someone to get nailed at a trail crossing in broad daylight had to be a pretty major fuckup on one or both parts.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I witnessed a death today. new [Re: DMala]
#308741 - 05/16/13 07:05 AM

> > Bicycle vs car. Lady on the bike was wearing a helmet AND a red safety vest, still
> > got hit an bled out.
>
> Ugh, that scares me. I started riding a couple of years ago. I stick to trails
> mostly, but you can't avoid a certain amount of riding in traffic. I try to be super
> cautious, but still, you never know. Most of the fatalities around here are people
> getting doored and flung into traffic. For someone to get nailed at a trail crossing
> in broad daylight had to be a pretty major fuckup on one or both parts.

In all fairness, it is the most dangerous trail crossing I've ever seen. They have an over traffic bridge on one side of the preserve, but this side has six lanes of traffic and a highway interchange. People ignore the lights getting off the highway at a constant. Most aren't even looking for pedestrians. Even though the biker looked to have right-of-way IMO, its a dangerous gamble to blindly accept it and barrel through.

View Larger Map

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: I witnessed a death today. new [Re: Allnatural]
#308743 - 05/16/13 07:30 AM

> > Excellent way to start your Tuesday.
> >
> > //Put the cell phone down people...
>
> Old story, but
> relevant...http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/04/texting-while-driving-accident-chance-bothe/

another slightly off-topic post, but in the same ball-park.

Edit: Well, instead of repeating what were apparently rumors about the victims... This was something that happened in a town not too far from me.

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=785342

Stuff like this just makes you realize just how quickly life can end.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (05/16/13 07:59 AM)

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#308744 - 05/16/13 07:59 AM

> In all fairness, it is the most dangerous trail crossing I've ever seen. They have an
> over traffic bridge on one side of the preserve, but this side has six lanes of
> traffic and a highway interchange. People ignore the lights getting off the highway
> at a constant. Most aren't even looking for pedestrians. Even though the biker looked
> to have right-of-way IMO, its a dangerous gamble to blindly accept it and barrel
> through.

Yeah, that's not pretty, it really ought to be an overpass or a tunnel. Too bad, it looks like a nice trail otherwise.

I hate intersections that just invite drivers to barrel on through. I have to cross one going from my office to where I park my car. You get the walk signal when the other side goes green. Cars turning right are supposed to yield, but everyone just screeches around the corner at maximum speed. Even with the signal, you have to watch carefully over your shoulder, because any car coming may or may not let you go. I've have to dance back to the curb more than once when someone came tearing through.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1271