View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs
#308299 - 05/05/13 03:33 AM

If I want to play a vertical-oriented game like "Pac-Man" on the original hardware (not in MAME) and I connect a standard TV to it, is there any way to change the output to horizontal? I mean, I cannot lay the TV on its side. It's not build like that. So, what's the best way to play those kind of games?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs new [Re: DaRayu]
#308303 - 05/05/13 04:44 AM Attachment: Bomb Jack.jpg 232 KB (0 downloads)

> If I want to play a vertical-oriented game like "Pac-Man" on the original hardware
> (not in MAME) and I connect a standard TV to it, is there any way to change the
> output to horizontal?

No.

I mean, I cannot lay the TV on its side. It's not build like
> that. So, what's the best way to play those kind of games?

The best way is to rotate your TV. If you can't do that, either use an LCD on a pivot mount, or play vertical games in an emulator.

My 27" Sony PVM CRT didn't mind at all. Although I had to unplug it and flip it while it was cold, otherwise I'd get discoloration.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs new [Re: DaRayu]
#308306 - 05/05/13 07:10 AM

> I mean, I cannot lay the TV on its side. It's not build like
> that.

I'm not going to guarantee your hardware etc. but lots of people do that, including myself. It's referred to as "tate" by the shooting game community. Some home ports of shooting games have had support for running them this way (rotated) so you can use the full screen area but also contain safety warnings in their instruction booklets for trying it. Draw your own conclusions.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs new [Re: Sune]
#308315 - 05/05/13 01:20 PM

Where did you bought your 27" Pvm? I never found one here in Brasil... and I really want to buy one.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs new [Re: Ramirez]
#308328 - 05/05/13 08:14 PM

> Where did you bought your 27" Pvm? I never found one here in Brasil... and I really
> want to buy one.

A friend gave it to me when I was still living in Denmark. It came all the way from Switzerland. I had to give it away before moving to Brazil, nobody wanted to pay for it.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs new [Re: Smitdogg]
#308342 - 05/06/13 05:17 AM

> I'm not going to guarantee your hardware etc. but lots of people do that, including
> myself. It's referred to as "tate" by the shooting game community. Some home ports of
> shooting games have had support for running them this way (rotated) so you can use
> the full screen area but also contain safety warnings in their instruction booklets
> for trying it. Draw your own conclusions.

I've had a CRT PC monitor on its side literally for years. I was a little worried about heat at first, as the vents in the case are in the wrong place for heat to rise out, but I've never had an issue with heat or anything else.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Question about vertical oriented games on real arcade boards and TVs new [Re: Sune]
#308346 - 05/06/13 01:34 PM

> > Where did you bought your 27" Pvm? I never found one here in Brasil... and I really
> > want to buy one.
>
> A friend gave it to me when I was still living in Denmark. It came all the way from
> Switzerland. I had to give it away before moving to Brazil, nobody wanted to pay for
> it.
>
> S

Oh, so you don't have it anymore... what a shame... I was thinking at what would be the best offer I could make.

Damn, it's so hard to find these kind of things around here.
Thanks for the response.

EDIT:
Now on topic...
if your TV is 15hz and you don't want to TATE it, your only other option is to use an interlaced resolution, but if it's multisync or 31hz you have some other options.

Edited by Ramirez (05/06/13 01:39 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1315