Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

CarnEvil problem and rom dump offer
#307921 - 04/27/13 11:44 PM

Hi all.

Bought a rediculously cheap copy of carnevil and got it today, but something on my -5v line went nuts and blew a cap on the board. It seems undamaged else where and removing the cap has made it so there's no shorts between -5v and gnd, however I have not seen it once boot and all the LEDs are stuck on as if the CPU is running no code, now I removed the boot rom on my gauntlet board and got exactly the same problems (No monitor flicker, no LED flashes, no code, nothing) and I know the Vegas isn't a Seattle but it's made me question the roms or CPU now.

Now, I can't test roms (I have no reader) but as I looked on MAME's code page, I notice that I possibly have an undumped revision, my rom versions read as follows:

CARNEVIL U32 REV.1.0 1998 ATARI GAMES

CARNEVIL U95.1.02 1998 ATARI GAMEs

Now I don't know if this means I have the 1.02 version of the game (compared to mame's 1.01 and 1.03 versions) or it's already been dumped but I'm thinking as for a diagnosis to see if the roms are dead or not and to help the project, would anybody be willing to read these chips for me?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: CarnEvil problem and rom dump offer new [Re: Naoki]
#307922 - 04/27/13 11:52 PM

I'm sure someone in the UK will, if not you can mail them to me, but you need to dump the hard drive too. It's most likely going to be different if the roms are. It should be compatible with the 1.03 roms maybe if you want to dump the hard drive and test it in mame.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: CarnEvil problem and rom dump offer new [Re: Smitdogg]
#307923 - 04/28/13 12:03 AM

> I'm sure someone in the UK will, if not you can mail them to me, but you need to dump
> the hard drive too. It's most likely going to be different if the roms are. It should
> be compatible with the 1.03 roms maybe if you want to dump the hard drive and test it
> in mame.

I will do, will have to get a 2.5 to 3.5 converter sorted since it's a laptop HDD, but I will compare it to CHDs too.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#307925 - 04/28/13 12:05 AM

Check ebay for Chinese seller auctions, you could probably get it shipped from China for like 99 cents. Nobody understands how it works, why someone would even ship adapters for what they well them for.

Naoki
Send PM

#307926 - 04/28/13 12:13 AM

> Check ebay for Chinese seller auctions, you could probably get it shipped from China
> for like 99 cents. Nobody understands how it works, why someone would even ship
> adapters for what they well them for.

I have one at my work, no need to order one, just I don't have it here.

Also, I put a rom in backwards by mistake and when I turned the board on, something in the window glowed slightly orange. I imediatly turned it off and flipped it around and it still seems to boot ok. Have I damaged it?

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#307927 - 04/28/13 12:15 AM

It's possible to destroy them that way but it doesn't always happen. I got a Gauntlet Legends board set in once where the previous owner had a chip inserted backwards and after I installed it correctly the board worked.

Naoki
Send PM

#307928 - 04/28/13 12:16 AM

> It's possible to destroy them that way but it doesn't always happen. I got a Gauntlet
> Legends board set in once where the previous owner had a chip inserted backwards and
> after I installed it correctly the board worked.

*phew* Anyway, I might send the roms to you if no one else local can and it's fairly cheap.

Also, will you need U96 (security) or just U95 and U32?

Edited by Naoki (04/28/13 12:17 AM)

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#307929 - 04/28/13 12:24 AM

Well I'm not saying it's safe. Which chip was it, the 1.02 or the 1.00? For sure someone on the DU can do it within UK I think. Don't need the security chip. For the life of the board it won't matter if one is fried, you could just replace it, but if you fried the 1.02 then we won't have it for mame.

Naoki
Send PM

#307930 - 04/28/13 12:41 AM

> Well I'm not saying it's safe. Which chip was it, the 1.02 or the 1.00? For sure
> someone on the DU can do it within UK I think. Don't need the security chip. For the
> life of the board it won't matter if one is fried, you could just replace it, but if
> you fried the 1.02 then we won't have it for mame.

No, it was a Gaunt DL board boot rom, not Carnevil.

----

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2341