Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Question on Nintendo VS. System Color
#306850 - 04/04/13 04:11 PM

I love the color palette on Nintendo's VS System. Does anyone know if there's an NES Emulator that supports the rich vibrancy color from the VS System for any NES game.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Question on Nintendo VS. System Color new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#306867 - 04/04/13 09:04 PM

I have a working Vs. system with Jamma adapter and the colors are not more vibrant than my NES (at default) so I don't understand. Maybe you are looking at the special monitor they used and it was recently refurbished?

Also the Vs. motherboards had RGB cranks so they could be cranked up on what you are referencing.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Question on Nintendo VS. System Color new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306914 - 04/05/13 04:48 PM

> I have a working Vs. system with Jamma adapter and the colors are not more vibrant
> than my NES (at default) so I don't understand. Maybe you are looking at the special
> monitor they used and it was recently refurbished?

Yeah, I don't get that either. The only real difference is that the Vs. system is RGB out, and that doesn't make the colors brighter, it just eliminates the NTSC artifacts (which is pretty much what you get out of NES emulators by default anyway).

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#306926 - 04/05/13 07:53 PM Attachment: castleEXAMPLE.png 259 KB (0 downloads)

In this example of castlevania there seems to be a color difference between the NES and the Vs System. Is there a setting in an NES emulator that gives this color palette?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Question on Nintendo VS. System Color new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#306927 - 04/05/13 08:05 PM

You're using some filter on the nes and not on mame for one thing. The Vs. system uses custom ppu chips to set the palette. They used it as protection so if an operator tried to just burn the roms it would give bad colors or worse. I don't know what is causing the differences in your pics other than the filter. The ppu could have set a different palette than the nes set or mame could be using the wrong ppu (they were sometimes swappable between games in the arcade where they would work well enough that you couldn't tell they were wrong, and then got sold second hand that way*) or your nes emulator could be using the wrong one. The RGB seems pretty bold on your mame snap there though.

*I think it was this guy who figured that out but I don't feel like digging through his site

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#306934 - 04/06/13 04:58 AM

I found out the problem. My NES emulator was displaying something called yub. When I set it to RGB palette it looks similar to the vs system. Although not perfect but it's probably the vs system protection. In fact I found out the emu can change the whole palette custom wise. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Question on Nintendo VS. System Color new [Re: R. Belmont]
#306943 - 04/06/13 01:41 PM

> The only real difference is that the Vs. system is RGB
> out, and that doesn't make the colors brighter,

Each PPU produces a different palette, he might just like the colours that were picked compared to the NES.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Question on Nintendo VS. System Color new [Re: R. Belmont]
#306954 - 04/06/13 06:23 PM

> Yeah, I don't get that either. The only real difference is that the Vs. system is RGB
> out, and that doesn't make the colors brighter, it just eliminates the NTSC artifacts
> (which is pretty much what you get out of NES emulators by default anyway).

Actually, it does. The RGB PPU colors are all much more saturated than what you get out of a composite PPU, and the luminance of some colors is quite different too. Many of the monsters in Final Fantasy look really weird on RGB hardware because the colors meant to be "shadow" and "highlight" are almost the same luminance in the RGB palette.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1846