MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Simulations of non-MAME-ed arcade games?
#306517 - 03/29/13 11:23 PM

First of all, my apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. Thanks to online forums like this one, I got a simulation of Pong (from "Atari's Greatest Hits" for PC) running through my MAME wheel in HyperSpin on my MAME cabinet. Maybe I'm in the minority on this since I think I'm older than the average MAME user (I'm 45), but now I keep wondering what other un-MAME-ed games might be available via simulation rather than emulation. (I'd absolutely love to play Stunt Cycle, for instance.) Anyone know of any?

Edited by RPOR6V (03/29/13 11:27 PM)

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Simulations of non-MAME-ed arcade games? new [Re: RPOR6V]
#306518 - 03/29/13 11:44 PM

Pong is in Mame.

You could also check out DICE.
http://adamulation.blogspot.com/#!

PS - 44 this year.

Edited by John IV (03/29/13 11:49 PM)

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Simulations of non-MAME-ed arcade games? new [Re: John IV]
#306585 - 03/30/13 11:08 PM

Hi John, nice to know I'm not the only old guy here! I didn't know Pong was back in MAME. Thanks! I'll give it a try! One question though - not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I thought Pong was removed from MAME quite a while ago because it was a simulation, not an emulation. What changed?

I haven't tried D.I.C.E. because from what I read it doesn't look as though it would be that playable on my non-state-of-the-art PC (or even on a state-of-the-art PC for that matter) AND because for the life of me I can't find any roms for it. Any advice if you've tried it? I guess I was just hoping there was some commercial (or even homebrew) simulation of Stunt Cycle in particular I didn't know about.

With all the great newer games available in MAME, I guess I have to laugh at myself for wanting to play these old games so badly (Stunt Cycle in particular). I guess it's really true that you always want what you can't have.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#306586 - 03/30/13 11:20 PM

> Hi John, nice to know I'm not the only old guy here! I didn't know Pong was back in
> MAME. Thanks! I'll give it a try! One question though - not to look a gift horse in
> the mouth, but I thought Pong was removed from MAME quite a while ago because it was
> a simulation, not an emulation. What changed?
>
> I haven't tried D.I.C.E. because from what I read it doesn't look as though it would
> be that playable on my non-state-of-the-art PC (or even on a state-of-the-art PC for
> that matter) AND because for the life of me I can't find any roms for it. Any advice
> if you've tried it? I guess I was just hoping there was some commercial (or even
> homebrew) simulation of Stunt Cycle in particular I didn't know about.
>
> With all the great newer games available in MAME, I guess I have to laugh at myself
> for wanting to play these old games so badly (Stunt Cycle in particular). I guess
> it's really true that you always want what you can't have.

Pong in MAME is way more accurate now, as the discrete circuits are in there now, so that's why it's back in.

And DICE does do Stunt Cycle, as of 0.4

http://adamulation.blogspot.com/2012/09/stunt-cycle.html

http://adamulation.blogspot.com/2012/09/dice-04-released.html

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Simulations of non-MAME-ed arcade games? new [Re: John IV]
#306589 - 03/30/13 11:37 PM

44 in August here.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Simulations of non-MAME-ed arcade games? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#306590 - 03/30/13 11:40 PM

> Pong in MAME is way more accurate now, as the discrete circuits are in there now, so
> that's why it's back in.

Agreed, you're going to find that Pong in MAME runs much slower than you remember due to that fact.

I've actually had better luck on a slow machine running Pong in DICE in comparison to current MAME, but I believe - for that particular game - DICE's emulation isn't as accurate.

- Stiletto

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#306608 - 03/31/13 06:33 AM

Stunt Cycle in Dice runs great, on my Core i7 3770k pushed to like 4.5 Ghz. Granted, most people do not have that kind of machine, but it does run great. My best friend is a collector, and has the arcade game, so I can play any time I want, but Dice does a good job if you have the system to run it.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Simulations of non-MAME-ed arcade games? new [Re: Stiletto]
#306623 - 03/31/13 05:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I tried Pong in the latest MAME and while it was cool to see, it ran very, very slowly on my PC. Pong in DICE was even worse, it ran at a blistering one frame per second on average so I imagine Stunt Cycle wouldn't run well either. Not complaining, just resigning myself to my MAME cab having (for now) no Stunt Cycle and a PC simulation of Pong rather than an emulation.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 693 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1690