MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

rjolin01
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/24/13
Send PM

Can dual Mame systems interface with each other?
#306209 - 03/24/13 10:28 PM

I am a novice when it comes to using Mame to its fully glory. I was wondering can two Mame machines interface with each other for games like San Fransico Rush? I want to make a setup like in the arcades where there is two separate sit down machines but I would like for them to be linked so that they can play against each other. Thanks for any help and I hope this is the right thread.

bdam
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/07
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: rjolin01]
#306256 - 03/25/13 08:03 PM

Since no one else has answered allow me to try.

Currently, no. Two or more instances of MAME cannot communicate with each other.

Long term, I believe the hope is that MAME will allow multiple instances running on the same machine to communicate. This would, of course, require the the machine has the power to run multiple instances simultaneously.

Over on the programming board there is a rather exciting and long thread about SailorSat's work on emulating the Model1 communication board. Of particular interest is that this works over the network allowing separate machine to communicate.

While it solves a different problem, you might also look at MameHub which is based on Client Server MAME. It allows users to play single-machine games with multiple players over the internet by synchronizing inputs.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: bdam]
#306259 - 03/25/13 08:59 PM

> Since no one else has answered allow me to try.
>
> Currently, no. Two or more instances of MAME cannot communicate with each other.
>
> Long term, I believe the hope is that MAME will allow multiple instances running on
> the same machine to communicate. This would, of course, require the the machine has
> the power to run multiple instances simultaneously.
>
> Over on the programming board there is a rather exciting and long thread about
> SailorSat's work on emulating the Model1 communication board. Of particular interest
> is that this works over the network allowing separate machine to communicate.
>
> While it solves a different problem, you might also look at MameHub which is based on
> Client Server MAME. It allows users to play single-machine games with multiple
> players over the internet by synchronizing inputs.

MESS can already talk between two instances, so everything is here (even if not really stable at the moment).

Of course, it will still be needed to correctly hook up the hardware.

rjolin01
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/24/13
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: remax]
#306264 - 03/25/13 10:29 PM

Whats the best place to learn about MESS? I know its relatively new and all. Also how does it work with Hyperspin? Does it just show up as MESS or still breaks down to individual systems in the wheel?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#306267 - 03/25/13 11:08 PM

> Whats the best place to learn about MESS? I know its relatively new and all. Also how
> does it work with Hyperspin? Does it just show up as MESS or still breaks down to
> individual systems in the wheel?

You can learn a lot about the different systems by looking at Project MESS

Also, you don't wanna setup MESS with Hyperspin Front End.
It's best to use QMC2
OR MAMELOAD

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#306300 - 03/26/13 01:47 PM

Model 2 Emulator can connect up to 8 PCs to Play Daytona USA. Very well I might add. I have personally done it with 4, but have to assume 8 work like they say they do. Just as fun as being at the arcade.

bdam
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: remax]
#306302 - 03/26/13 02:09 PM

Quote:

MESS can already talk between two instances, so everything is here

Indeed, technically it should be possible. However, it's been long contended that the latency requirements of arcade hardware would make it a moot point. That is to say, if emulated properly the latency of even a a local TCP/IP network would be too large and the hardware would fail to make a viable connection. SailorSat has proven that this isn't necessarily the case for Model 1 but that is only a single system.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#306306 - 03/26/13 04:51 PM

> Long term, I believe the hope is that MAME will allow multiple instances running on
> the same machine MAMEs running on any machines to communicate. This would, of
> course, require the machine has the power to run multiple instances simultaneously.

Fixed that for ya.

See also emulated machines in MESS surfing the Web and two instances of MESS running Win95 talking to each other.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#306307 - 03/26/13 04:53 PM

> MESS can already talk between two instances, so everything is here
> Indeed, technically it should be possible. However, it's been long contended that the
> latency requirements of arcade hardware would make it a moot point. That is to say,
> if emulated properly the latency of even a a local TCP/IP network would be too large
> and the hardware would fail to make a viable connection. SailorSat has proven that
> this isn't necessarily the case for Model 1 but that is only a single system.

The mitigating factor for SailorSat is that it's over a hardwired LAN. Behavior would be much less optimal over the public Internet, as these games lack all the intelligence PC games have had since Quake to work around the latency and other weirdnesses of the Internet.

bdam
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#306308 - 03/26/13 05:12 PM

Do you believe/suspect that a hardwired LAN will universally suffice for arcade hardware?

The reason I ask is that in the decade or so I've been following MAME and this forum the question of network play has come up many times. Almost universally a dev has answered that even local networks are not up to the task and that the whole thing was a pipe dream.

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

#306309 - 03/26/13 05:26 PM

With 10gbe NICs getting cheaper the hope is latency will be much less of a concern in a few years.

Sailorsat's work shows it can work quite well right now.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#306316 - 03/26/13 08:24 PM

> The reason I ask is that in the decade or so I've been following MAME and this forum
> the question of network play has come up many times. Almost universally a dev has
> answered that even local networks are not up to the task and that the whole thing was
> a pipe dream.

That was true 5+ years ago when it was most frequently being asked. With GigE common and 10GbE up and coming that's not a problem nowadays. Good luck if you attempt it on WiFi though.

Also, I used to believe a third party would eventually do networking for MAME correctly. I am no longer under that delusion, and the fact that having MESS "in house" gets us a lot of free comms technology ain't a bad thing either.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: RetroRepair]
#306318 - 03/26/13 08:40 PM

> With 10gbe NICs getting cheaper the hope is latency will be much less of a concern in
> a few years.

You don't necessarily get lower latency with higher bandwidth. But it will be interesting to see.

bdam
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can dual Mame systems interface with each other? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#306373 - 03/27/13 01:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that the higher speed networks didn't necessarily translate to lower latency.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#306396 - 03/27/13 09:50 PM

> Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that the higher speed networks didn't
> necessarily translate to lower latency.

While that's true, in the real world it does improve latency simply because you have fewer packet collisions due to everything finishing faster.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1738