View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Linskys passed around like a $2 whore
#305917 - 03/18/13 07:22 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2031024/belkin-finalizes-linksys-acquisition.html

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Linskys passed around like a $2 whore new [Re: URherenow]
#305918 - 03/18/13 07:50 AM

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2031024/belkin-finalizes-linksys-acquisition.html

It seems like a bizarre move, especially keeping the two brands separate. Cisco/Linksys made some sense, because Cisco was associated with more large scale enterprise stuff, and Linksys was small office and home stuff. They can spin it any way they like, but Belkin and Linksys are pretty much the same thing. I've bought one over the other more than once, based on whatever happened to be cheaper.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Linskys passed around like a $2 whore new [Re: DMala]
#305927 - 03/18/13 03:30 PM

This type of thing happens all the time and keeping the brands separate but the same seems bizarre every time to me but it obviously works to maintain a bigger share of of the market. Most "consumers" won't ever hear about this or if they do they will forget it in a week.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Linskys passed around like a $2 whore new [Re: Smitdogg]
#305928 - 03/18/13 03:53 PM

My bro-in-law is a sales guy that does corp. accounts and just got me a new hybrid cable cheap. He just mentioned to me about this and the new cable is from Belkin but now it's it know as C2G. "Cables To Go" I've never seen them before. Not that this matters much. Just like everything else, different names same company = higher market percentage. So in my world, which ever one is cheaper, it's still the same. Just FYI.

Later

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Linskys passed around like a $2 whore new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#305931 - 03/18/13 03:59 PM

They may actually be making different internal parts for some stuff, but this reminds me of the China electronics situation. They often make 2 versions of the same equipment in China and label their cases differently with 1 version for sale in China and 1 as export, like stereos. If you can find the China version on eBay you'll get it new for a fraction of the price. One of my programmers is a Chinese version. The only difference between it and the export model is in the bios it's programmed to display 890 instead of 990. I paid about $700 less for it than the export model cost at the time. The $700 digit.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1345