Another example of irresponsible media.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: ...As per her and her family's wishes. new [Re: GatKong]
#305356 - 03/07/13 04:09 AM

> Another example of irresponsible media.

Do you have a source for that? The last article I saw specifically said she *didn't* have a DNR.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: ...As per her and her family's wishes. new [Re: DMala]
#305360 - 03/07/13 04:41 AM

Yeah, there was no DNR. The facility was an independent living facility that instructs the nurses on site to not begin CPR.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/n...nied-cpr-nurse/

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: ...As per her and her family's wishes. new [Re: igamabob]
#305363 - 03/07/13 05:23 AM

> Yeah, there was no DNR. The facility was an independent living facility that
> instructs the nurses on site to not begin CPR.

What a bizarre policy. Why even have "nurses" on site if they can't perform the most fundamental lifesaving treatment? I almost have to believe there is more to this story than what we're hearing, because it doesn't even make sense.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#305364 - 03/07/13 05:50 AM Attachment: beepBoop.jpg 422 KB (0 downloads)

I don't have a source... I listen to the news driving.

I heard the story that the center she was in is a place for dying with dignity. She and her family chose there for her final days. They interviewed a male family member (I forget his relationship), and he was chastising the media for invading their privacy with the irresponsible reporting of what happened. They won't sue the center, because it was what they wanted, and they want their privacy back.

You'll probably never hear this version of the story again, because it was actual honest news and reporting.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

WTF do the CPR damn it. Geeze. new [Re: METRODUCK]
#305366 - 03/07/13 06:42 AM

I would've smack those people for not saving her.

If it a request not doing a CPR by the old woman then OK.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: ...As per her and her family's wishes. new [Re: GatKong]
#305369 - 03/07/13 07:25 AM

> I don't have a source... I listen to the news driving.
>
> I heard the story that the center she was in is a place for dying with dignity. She
> and her family chose there for her final days. They interviewed a male family member
> (I forget his relationship), and he was chastising the media for invading their
> privacy with the irresponsible reporting of what happened. They won't sue the center,
> because it was what they wanted, and they want their privacy back.
>
> You'll probably never hear this version of the story again, because it was actual
> honest news and reporting.

Hunting around a little more, it seems like the truth is somewhere in between.

- The place, at least the part where this woman lived, is an assisted living facility. It's not a nursing home and definitely not a hospice, so it's not the kind of place where you would expect most people are DNR.

- The family is saying it was her wish to die of natural causes. Which sounds reasonable, although she should have had a DNR on file if that was what she wanted. If it turns out the old lady had a lot of money, though, I'd be very suspicious of anything the family says.

- There is nothing to indicate that the person who called 911 had any idea of whether the woman wanted lifesaving intervention or not. The policy at this place apparently really is to call for help and do nothing else. Although there is at least one report now that the place is backpedaling and throwing their employee under the bus, claiming she "misinterpreted their policy". It still seems insane and almost criminally irresponsible to me, for a place like that not to train their staff in basic CPR. Anyone can learn it in an afternoon. To stand by and watch someone die because you're afraid of legal liability is just... sad.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

You don't ever CPR on someone who is breathing, friggin' incompetent dispatcher [nt] new [Re: METRODUCK]
#305371 - 03/07/13 07:52 AM

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#305382 - 03/07/13 02:45 PM

Actually anyone can learn it and be certified for 2 years... in about 45 minutes (depending on how big the class is)

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Well, if she's hot... new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#305383 - 03/07/13 02:53 PM

Orc might have had a go at it...

old bast

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Well..... new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#305392 - 03/07/13 06:24 PM

My forum name isn't just for show. I've been on an ambulance service for 17 years.

The dispatcher is just doing their job - Doing something is better than doing nothing at all. Something that I've always thought of during the times I've done CPR is how long they've been down vs. the quality of life they will have after they've been down that long IF we get them back. CPR doesn't have a high success rate. You roughly have 6 to 10 minutes once brain death starts to occur after you stop breathing.

Now DNR orders are a whole different matter. If we are presented with a valid DNR order from the individual that says don't do crap, and the family wants you to, the DNR is what needs to be followed.

It's a tough call...

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: Well..... new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#305407 - 03/08/13 12:34 AM

> My forum name isn't just for show. I've been on an ambulance service for 17 years.
>
> The dispatcher is just doing their job - Doing something is better than doing nothing
> at all. Something that I've always thought of during the times I've done CPR is how
> long they've been down vs. the quality of life they will have after they've been down
> that long IF we get them back. CPR doesn't have a high success rate. You roughly have
> 6 to 10 minutes once brain death starts to occur after you stop breathing.
>

I read that she had a stroke. Would CPR have done any good to begin with?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Well..... new [Re: Allnatural]
#305427 - 03/08/13 06:20 AM

> I read that she had a stroke. Would CPR have done any good to begin with?

Probably not, but you can't know that for sure in the heat of the moment. When someone's life is at stake, you can't just go, "Meh, she's probably a goner anyway."

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Re: Well..... new [Re: DMala]
#305470 - 03/09/13 05:53 AM

The times I've encountered a stroke, it majorily effected one side of the body. But that is not always typical. My mother in law had a stroke bad enough that she was not able to swallow or talk for a week before she died (living will).

It's a tough call when someone's body turns against them.

Making an assumption here. If it's an advanced care facility of some form and the residence have a living will of sorts that says do not revive me if I am dying in any form, WHY did the nurse at the facility call 911?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2333