View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

evidence of Atari Crossfire *edit*
#304747 - 02/22/13 11:21 AM Attachment: ataricrossfiremanualcover.jpg 2069 KB (1 downloads)

When it comes to arcade videogames with words "Cross Fire", the Taito game is the first one that comes to mind since there is actual evidence of the game.

--
Taito Cross Fire
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=4040
--

And same goes for Sierravision's computer game of Crossfire. And then there is a name that only shows up on game databases that Atari had marketed during 1970s.

http://discrete.mameworld.info/Atari/Atari2.htm#crossfire

I don't recall ever seeing the game myself, but it likely was out at places I didn't visit. The odd thing is why are there no flyers or no parts of the game that have turned up at places. I haven't seen anything and I am certain TAFA's Dan Hower (arcade flyer collector) would have found something by now if a flyer was ever printed in the past.
If someone recalls seeing a past ebay auction or a cab photo of Atari Crossfire, I would be interested because I haven't seen any previous evidence of this Atari game.

Here is the cover of a service manual of Crossfire. It's not a fully intact manual and it appears some original pages of the paperwork has been lost over time while a few other pages are photocopies. It does have a pcb layout page and parts list pages and it does have 2 revisions of fully complete logic schematics (rev A and rev B) so it does have a decent chance to be emulated in DICE later.

There is one mention of a rom on a parts list page, but I can't seem to find it on the pcb layouts page nor in any of the schematics pages at this time, so hopefully that is a misprint. There isn't any game theory operation section in this manual, but it does show a pot adjuster to set amount of time for the gameplay. Other than that, I don't know what the gameplay will look like until it is emulated.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by gregf (02/22/13 11:33 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Atari Crossfire cab layout page new [Re: gregf]
#304831 - 02/24/13 04:27 AM Attachment: ataricrossfirecablayoutpage.jpg 1020 KB (0 downloads)

Here is cab layout page illustration showing what the upright cab should look like. Sort of looks similar to Atari Rebound cabs.

*my flatbed scanner doesn't support any scan size larger than letter size and several pages of Crossfire are either legal size or ledger size.*

Attachment

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire cab layout page new [Re: gregf]
#304926 - 02/26/13 12:31 PM

Crossfire... an early name for or derivative of Space Race, perhaps? The control panel in the diagram could be a clue, as it's identical to SR. The name of the game could also be a clue...

Edited by Brian Deuel (02/26/13 12:32 PM)

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#305026 - 02/27/13 08:47 PM Attachment: alliedleisurezapmanualcover.jpg 2534 KB (0 downloads)

>Crossfire... an early name for or derivative of Space Race, perhaps? The control panel
>in the diagram could be a clue, as it's identical to SR. The name of the game could
>also be a clue...

While control panel is same design for Space Race and cab is same model design used for Rebound, at first I was guessing maybe an offshoot of Pursuit, but Pursuit indicates of using a missile feature.

--
Pursuit
Atari / Kee - 1975

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=756&page=1#439
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=779
--

The logic schematics indicate gun and bullet for both players (1 and 2)

--
Anti Aircraft

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=756&page=1#406
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=3034
--

So maybe a chance that it could be an early version of Anti Aircraft, but involves both players firing at each other from both sides of the video screen instead of shooting at airplanes?

Crossfire should eventually be running in DICE. All the specifically needed pages to get Crossfire emulated from the Crossfire paperwork is accounted for even though some pages appear to be missing.

This now leaves Dodgeball, Dodgem, and Launch Aircraft as unknown Atari arcade video games or maybe never existed such as mistaken name entries that don't belong on the list.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=756

I had Crossfire in that same category since not seeing parts nor flyers of the game for as long as I have been searching so it is a surprise coming across that.

When fart_flower had initially set up Discrete Logistics in 2001 and added Allied Leisure Zap (1974) as an entry, I was skeptical about that entry until seeing a Zap cab on an old auction entry about 5 years ago. I may have saved a couple photos from the auction, but I can't find them.

But better than that, I now do have the Zap paperwork including all logic schematics so the game can be emulated.

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: gregf]
#305028 - 02/27/13 08:58 PM Attachment: alliedleisurezapcabdrawing.jpg 583 KB (1 downloads)

Zap is a two player game that is somewhat of a pong derivative that also involves players activating a box/square during gameplay in order for pong/ball to deflect off of and other player unable to return the serve. The scores are displayed on either side of the marquee from an led display rather than be shown from the screen.

I don't recall seeing the game myself during 1970s when at arcades or places then.

btw: iirc from auction photos, the bezel piece was black and the side lighting bolts (painted onto the bezel piece) were either yellow or red. I don't remember.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: gregf]
#305089 - 02/28/13 06:21 PM

I found this on arcade-history.com: http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=crossfire&page=detail&id=4775

I wonder if Keith Smith would know more about this game, as he is mentioned as a source in the history entry. I had only heard of it many years ago in passing; that is, mentioned as a prototype that might have never made it out of the lab (emphasis intentional); and I never gave it any more thought. The description of the gameplay is interesting in that it doesn't match either of our theories.

I've never seen Zap either. Many of Allied's games were scarce here in the midwest; I only remember Paddle Battle and Robot, having played both (and owned a PB board at one time), and perhaps Futsball; at least I THINK I remember that one. I've probably played an EM or two of theirs, but I don't remember for sure.

Regardless, your possession of materials from both games is quite interesting, and an emulation of both games would answer a few questions. I'll ask Owen Rubin if he has any memory of Crossfire, even though its timeline is before he joined Atari.

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: gregf]
#305090 - 02/28/13 06:23 PM

Here's another cabinet shot:

Appears to be a different game, though.

astrp3
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/03/12
Send PM

#305100 - 02/28/13 08:52 PM

Here is what Lyle Rains told me about Crossfire back around 2000:

[Lyle Rains] Usually, an ultra-limited production run meant that we sold the pre-production prototypes and hoped nobody got mad at us. This was the case with Crossfire.
The game required two players, each with a “gun”, at opposite sides of the playfield. Each player had a vertical position knob (a potentiometer like Pong) and a fire button. Each gun could have one shot in the air at a time. There was a big ball, which started at the center, and there were small bumpers in the playfield that made the ball bounce. You tried to “push” the ball into your opponent’s goal line by shooting it. Each hit added a little energy and it took multiple hits to get the speed of the ball up, but then you had to watch out for rebounds off the bumpers.
An interesting aspect of the game was the one-shot-at-a-time rule. If the ball was on your side of the field, then you could shoot more often than your opponent (unless, of course, you missed and had to wait for the shell to cross the entire screen). This made it possible to achieve remarkable “come-backs” from near-certain defeat.

From the image posted it looks like it had joysticks, not paddle controls so Rains might have been misremembering (or maybe they changed controls at some point).

Keith Smith
http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/

Edited by astrp3 (02/28/13 08:54 PM)

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: astrp3]
#305101 - 02/28/13 09:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Here's Owen's response:

"Yes, I do recall this. If I remember, you could move a gun up and down the screen, and shoot at a ball in the middle. Think of it as marbles. Each hit would accelerate the ball towards the other side, and they could shoot it back your way. I believe your scored when the ball when out one side like in PONG.

I sent a message to Lyle to ask him about it. Not sure why I remember this game, but I do."

EDIT: more from Owen: "FYI, just talked to Scott Evans. He says he has a board set actually, just never wired it up. He also believes that there was a small Kee Games run of that game."

I'll ask Scott about whether the board has a ROM on it, as per gregf's post.

Edited by Brian Deuel (02/28/13 09:41 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#305104 - 02/28/13 09:45 PM

> Thanks for the info. Here's Owen's response:
>
> "Yes, I do recall this. If I remember, you could move a gun up and down the screen,
> and shoot at a ball in the middle. Think of it as marbles. Each hit would accelerate
> the ball towards the other side, and they could shoot it back your way. I believe
> your scored when the ball when out one side like in PONG.
>
> I sent a message to Lyle to ask him about it. Not sure why I remember this game, but
> I do."
>
> EDIT: more from Owen: "FYI, just talked to Scott Evans. He says he has a board set
> actually, just never wired it up. He also believes that there was a small Kee Games
> run of that game."
>
> I'll ask Scott about whether the board has a ROM on it, as per gregf's post.

Color me unsurprised. Scott was my next choice.

Please link him to this thread, though I doubt he'll appear.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire ic definition page new [Re: gregf]
#305111 - 03/01/13 12:22 AM Attachment: ataricrossfireicdescriptionpage.jpg 259 KB (1 downloads)

Here is the page that mentions an ic that is a rom. It is on the bottom of the list on the page.

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire one page of parts list new [Re: gregf]
#305112 - 03/01/13 12:27 AM Attachment: ataricrossfireicpartslistpage.jpg 3561 KB (0 downloads)

This parts list page lists all the ics on the pcb. Unless the rom chip is of a diferent ic type, I don't see any on the parts list page. This is for revision A of Crossfire. There isn't any for revision B that came with the paperwork.

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire pcb layout page new [Re: gregf]
#305114 - 03/01/13 12:33 AM Attachment: ataricrossfirepcblayoutpage.jpg 1668 KB (1 downloads)

If the pcb layout page isn't readable, I can make a larger scan later. I didn't want to push the file attachment size to be way too large.

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: astrp3]
#305116 - 03/01/13 12:56 AM

>Here is what Lyle Rains told me about Crossfire back around 2000:

--
[Lyle Rains] Usually, an ultra-limited production run meant that we sold the pre-production prototypes and hoped nobody got mad at us. This was the case with Crossfire.
The game required two players, each with a “gun”, at opposite sides of the playfield. Each player had a vertical position knob (a potentiometer like Pong) and a fire button. Each gun could have one shot in the air at a time. There was a big ball, which started at the center, and there were small bumpers in the playfield that made the ball bounce. You tried to “push” the ball into your opponent’s goal line by shooting it. Each hit added a little energy and it took multiple hits to get the speed of the ball up, but then you had to watch out for rebounds off the bumpers.
An interesting aspect of the game was the one-shot-at-a-time rule. If the ball was on your side of the field, then you could shoot more often than your opponent (unless, of course, you missed and had to wait for the shell to cross the entire screen). This made it possible to achieve remarkable “come-backs” from near-certain defeat.

From the image posted it looks like it had joysticks, not paddle controls so Rains might have been misremembering (or maybe they changed controls at some point).
--

Wow. That explains why Lyle Rains remembered the game with his name there on parts list page. And that also explains of why there were probably no flyers ever printed of Crossfire.

--
Re: Atari Crossfire one page of parts list
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
--

If Lyle Rains can clear up of whether other vague Atari entries such as: Dodgem, and Dodgeball, and Launch Aircraft ever existed thanks.

Those three entries have been hanging around on System 16 and Discrete Logistics and other sites for some time. It would be great to either add info to them if any did exist or remove them in case those 3 games never existed.

--
Probably first time I have seen a photo of Lyle Rains. Good to know one of the names [Crossfire developers] along with knowing a little more regarding Atari's Crossfire. We finally have something better than just some game name entry on web sites that would be guessed of being either real or fake by younger generations.

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2013/02/updatesodds-and-ends.html
--

off topic:

Here is a link to my old post explaining about how I eventually came to rediscover the name of film reel projection screen game by Nintendo. Sky Hawk. Thanks to Mr. Goodwraith, Stiletto, Dan Hower, and your old Game Room magazine interview with Allied Leisure's Jack Pearson, I was able to find correct game name and flyer is online so folks could see what some of the 1970s era projection screen games looked like.

--

iirc Keith S. did the long ago interview with Allied Leisure's Jack Pearson for Game Room Magazine. When Game Room Magazine was online then, one could read the interview article with Jack Pearson.
--

If able to still contact former Allied Leisure's Jack Pearson regarding the history about Zap, thanks. It is interesting of why no flyers were ever printed for Zap unless that too was a limited production game.

Edited by gregf (03/01/13 05:34 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#305119 - 03/01/13 01:05 AM

>Many of Allied's games were scarce here in the midwest; I only remember Paddle Battle
>and Robot, having played both (and owned a PB board at one time), and perhaps Futsball;
>at least I THINK I remember that one. I've probably played an EM or two of theirs, but
>I don't remember for sure.

The Allied Leisure video games I remember seeing and/or playing in arcades were Paddle Battle, Tennis Tourney, Futsball, and Ace.

And for EM hardare/non-video mechanical games that I played or saw at places: Super Shifter, Battle Station, and a couple others.

>Regardless, your possession of materials from both games is quite interesting, and an
>emulation of both games would answer a few questions.

Yep. Keep an eye for future updates with DICE, Adam Bousley's emulator. If things work out, Crossfire and Zap might be emulated this year or next. If they make it to MAME later, that would also be great, but that may be a while.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#305121 - 03/01/13 01:20 AM

--
Thanks for the info. Here's Owen's response:

"Yes, I do recall this. If I remember, you could move a gun up and down the screen, and
shoot at a ball in the middle. Think of it as marbles. Each hit would accelerate the ball towards the other side, and they could shoot it back your way. I believe your scored when the ball when out one side like in PONG.

I sent a message to Lyle to ask him about it. Not sure why I remember this game, but I do."

EDIT: more from Owen: "FYI, just talked to Scott Evans. He says he has a board set actually, just never wired it up. He also believes that there was a small Kee Games run of that game."
--

Okay.....this explains the "bounds/boundary" description and also the Q Ball description too. When Adam gets copies in the mail, this might be moved up to top of his to-do list. :-)

The stuff will include some schematics for Ramtek games, Allied Leisure Zap, Crossfire, and maybe a couple URL/Electra/Allied Leisure games such as Avenger and Street Burners. Roms and proms have been dumped a long time ago for several of the games.

>I'll ask Scott about whether the board has a ROM on it, as per gregf's post.

A parts list page scan and a pcb layout page scan now in the thread in case anyone wants to do some checking too. It doesn't look like a rom is used. I am hoping it is like same scenario with Atari Highway manual. Highway has a mention of a rom ic in the manual, but it isn't shown in Highway schematics.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: Stiletto]
#305122 - 03/01/13 01:30 AM

>> EDIT: more from Owen: "FYI, just talked to Scott Evans. He says he has a board set
>> actually, just never wired it up. He also believes that there was a small Kee Games
>> run of that game."
>
>> I'll ask Scott about whether the board has a ROM on it, as per gregf's post.

>Color me unsurprised. Scott was my next choice.
>Please link him to this thread, though I doubt he'll appear.

Heh. If things work out [no roms needed or weird logic functions that are a challenge to emulate], Crossfire should be running in DICE. The schematics is of two double sided pages so it might be awhile before it runs in DICE. Two sets of logic schematics for rev. A and rev. B are included so Adam can see the differences between the two revisions of Crossfire.

pong
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/16/06
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#305339 - 03/06/13 08:33 PM Attachment: zap.jpg 51 KB (1 downloads)

Yeah, that's Game-A-Tron's Space Zap and not Allied's Zap.

I posted this pic on the #arcade Facebook group for arcade collectors. A lot of other unusual cabs are posted there.

But, great info about Atari Crossfire.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by pong (03/06/13 08:53 PM)

70s arcade video games http://www.arcade72.com - https://www.facebook.com/arcade72 - https://www.instagram.com/arcade72/
B/W video game general and F/S https://www.facebook.com/groups/bronzeage/

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: evidence of Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: gregf]
#305340 - 03/06/13 08:35 PM

FWIW- A few Taito Cross Fires exist in Europe. They're Bazooka ports.

> When it comes to arcade videogames with words "Cross Fire", the Taito game is the
> first one that comes to mind since there is actual evidence of the game.

70s arcade video games http://www.arcade72.com - https://www.facebook.com/arcade72 - https://www.instagram.com/arcade72/

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: pong]
#305341 - 03/06/13 08:52 PM

> That's Game-A-Tron's Space Zap. Not Allied's Zap.
>
> I posted it on the #arcade Facebook group for arcade collectors. A lot of unusual
> cabs are posted there.
>
> Guys, great info about Crossfire!
>
>
> Here's an image of Allied's Zap.

Is it a trick of the light or does Zap actually use NIXIE TUBES for the two digit scores for each player?
If they do, that's AWESOME.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#305342 - 03/06/13 08:53 PM

Yes, those are nixie tubes.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab new [Re: pong]
#305376 - 03/07/13 10:03 AM

>I posted this pic on the #arcade Facebook group for arcade collectors.

Great photo and thanks for posting that. That looks like the old photo I recall seeing from an old ebay auction years ago....actually iirc the cab had its own ebay listing that went on for several months. This had to be 2007 or maybe 2008. I saved a couple of the photos for reference at the time, but my computer hard drive later went sour and I couldn't recover the saved files.

What is missing from the cab photo is two different color acetate sheets that represent each player's boundary. Each player's boundary would look like a right side triangle at a 45 degree angle with green and red colors. Green for one player and red for the other.

>>or does Zap actually use NIXIE TUBES for the two digit scores for each player? If they do, that's AWESOME.
>>LN

>Yes, those are nixie tubes.

Correct. The Zap stapled (photocopied) pages catalog has it as RCA D 2000

Example pages for those curious.

--
http://www.tubeclockdb.com/nixie-clocks.html
http://www.tubeclockdb.com/numitron-clocks.html?start=4
--

I wonder if it could be possible to create something similar to a NIXIE TUBES output and have that supported within the emu/rendlay.c file.

--
http://www.mamedev.org/source/src/emu/rendlay.c.html

1774 //--
1775 // draw_segment_horizontal - draw a horizontal
1776 // LED segment
--

>But, great info about Atari Crossfire.

Thanks to Keith and Brian for getting info from either Lyle or Owen to confirm the game did exist back then.

--
Keith Smith

Brian Deuel
--

If things work out, DICE should have Atari Crossfire, Allied Leisure Zap, and a couple others emulated.

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: pong]
#305381 - 03/07/13 12:24 PM

> Yeah, that's Game-A-Tron's Space Zap and not Allied's Zap.
>
> I posted this pic on the #arcade Facebook group for arcade collectors. A lot of other
> unusual cabs are posted there.
>
> But, great info about Atari Crossfire.

I grabbed that shot from arcade-history's Allied Zap entry. I guess it should be updated with the proper pic

The rest of the entry could use a filling out as well. It's pretty empty.

It's always great, and fun, to investigate these little-known early games; some of which have questionable origins or even existence. Even better when the mystery is solved

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Allied Leisure Zap cab drawing new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#305414 - 03/08/13 01:04 AM

>I grabbed that shot from arcade-history's Allied Zap entry. I guess it should be updated
>with the proper pic The rest of the entry could use a filling out as well. It's pretty
>empty.

I am curious about what happened with the game and why no flyers were ever printed compared to other Allied Leisure games. I hope Keith can ask former Allied employee Jack Pearson about Zap.

>It's always great, and fun, to investigate these little-known early games; some of
>which have questionable origins or even existence. Even better when the mystery is
> solved

Here is another unknown one made by A1 Amusement Products with model name "Score".
I have never heard of it or company name before. And another mystery that I also wonder about is what became of Ramtek's videogame, (Volley/Volly).

A1 Amusement Products
Model: SCORE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tennis-and-Pong-...57#ht_177wt_917

--
Classic PONG arcade game in working condition. Manufactured by "A1 Amusement Products", Model: "SCORE". I have no idea when it was made. I have owned it about 15 years. Video display is good (two colors: green and black), sound is good (two sounds: ping and pong). All four paddles work. Player 4 rheostat needs cleaning. Original doors with locks are in place. I don't have the keys but I have removed all the lock tumblers except one, so any object remotely resembling a key will open the machine. Original coin mechanism and coin box are in place. An external switch box (just under the overhanging table-top and not visible in the pictures) has a power on/off toggle switch, and a "Coin deposited" push button. Each push mimics a quarter inserted. One push for two paddles, two pushes for four paddles. Then you select if you want to play against the machine, or not, and push "Start". The "Free Game" light does work but requires a better player than me! Glass top is totally flat and waterproof, so this really is a cocktail table. Case is made of particle board with a wood-like finish, and overall, the machine is VERY heavy.
--

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: gregf]
#320995 - 01/27/14 02:36 PM

One showed up in the wild...

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: pong]
#321013 - 01/28/14 01:07 AM

Neat, where did you find that picture? I Googled it and came up empty. It would be nice to get some good pics of the cab & control panel.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: Antny]
#321036 - 01/28/14 08:33 AM

> Neat, where did you find that picture? I Googled it and came up empty. It would be
> nice to get some good pics of the cab & control panel.

Originally here, later sold here in this job lot of games.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: casm]
#321037 - 01/28/14 08:57 AM

> > Neat, where did you find that picture? I Googled it and came up empty. It would be
> > nice to get some good pics of the cab & control panel.
>
> Originally here, later sold here in this job lot of games.

Wow, one of gregf's faves, Knights In Armor, is in that second lot.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#321053 - 01/28/14 09:12 PM

Good photo catch there. Hopefully Adam will have Crossfire emulated sometime this year.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: Stiletto]
#321054 - 01/28/14 09:16 PM

>Wow, one of gregf's faves, Knights In Armor, is in that second lot.

PSE's Desert Patrol was my favorite PSE game. Knights in Armor might be in the lower part of the top 20 favorite 1970s era video games. I only watched my younger cousins play the game when I saw it that one day back in either summer or late fall 1976. I don't recall ever seeing the cab anywhere else.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: casm]
#321058 - 01/28/14 09:30 PM

>Originally here, later sold here in this job lot of games.

That is some list and the closing price too.....and also a PSE Knights in Armor being in the list of items. If the pcb is still in working shape, I hope whoever owns the cab can dump the two roms from the pcb.

--
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Crossfire-...57#ht_438wt_900

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-Early...7#ht_1702wt_900

Shark Jaws
Outlaw
Dead Eye
Crossfire
Knights In Armor
Avenger

Not perfect by any means, but pretty much intact.

Shark Jaws
Outlaw
Knights in Armor

All looked complete.

The Computer Boards looked shinny and amazingly in good condition to my eye.

I have worked on Boardwalk games for 40 years, and usually these are dull and rusty... BUT NOT HERE !!
---

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321156 - 01/30/14 08:39 PM

> > Wow, one of gregf's faves, Knights In Armor, is in that second lot.
>
> PSE's Desert Patrol was my favorite PSE game. Knights in Armor might be in the lower
> part of the top 20 favorite 1970s era video games. I only watched my younger cousins
> play the game when I saw it that one day back in either summer or late fall 1976. I
> don't recall ever seeing the cab anywhere else.

Knights In Armor is super duper rare. I never played or saw KiA before this one showed up. And I've been collecting b/w raster games since the mid 90s. Tried to get those games, but I was outbid. I'll try to find out who the buyer is.

gregf, what's your top 20 70s games? I'd be interested to hear this.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#321160 - 01/30/14 09:16 PM

> > > Wow, one of gregf's faves, Knights In Armor, is in that second lot.
> >
> > PSE's Desert Patrol was my favorite PSE game. Knights in Armor might be in the
> lower
> > part of the top 20 favorite 1970s era video games. I only watched my younger
> cousins
> > play the game when I saw it that one day back in either summer or late fall 1976. I
> > don't recall ever seeing the cab anywhere else.
>
> Knights In Armor is super duper rare. I never played or saw KiA before this one
> showed up. And I've been collecting b/w raster games since the mid 90s. Tried to get
> those games, but I was outbid. I'll try to find out who the buyer is.

KIA was one of Al's most wanted back when he collected. According to VAPS, it's currently mclemore's most wanted, as well as Seth's. So there's two possibilities.

I just started this thread to try and get clues as to who might be the winner. I'm not in good with the collecting scene though. gregf has theorized that it's probably a Japan collector.
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=300857

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#321168 - 01/31/14 01:15 AM

>KIA was one of Al's most wanted back when he collected. According to VAPS, it's
>currently mclemore's most wanted, as well as Seth's. So there's two possibilities.

>I just started this thread to try and get clues as to who might be the winner. I'm not
>in good with the collecting scene though. gregf has theorized that it's probably a
>Japan collector.

If it was ShouTime that would be great, but probably isn't. Maybe Andy W. and that too would be fine since Andy knows how to deal with the pcbs and backing up the roms carefully so they don't get messed up.

I didn't know this was on Al's list. If it was on his old Wiretap site, I must have missed the page.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#321171 - 01/31/14 01:30 AM

>gregf, what's your top 20 70s games? I'd be interested to hear this.

For 1970s video games (no order, just listing) :

Gremlin's Frogs
Gremlin's Depthcharge
Gremlin's Carnival ...although it was 1980, but still last year of 1970s imo.
Atari Space Race
Atari Canyon Bomber
Atari Highway
Atari Break Out
PSE Desert Patrol
Cinematronic's Star Hawk (if it was released in 1980)
Digital Games' pong clone model 474
Exidy Circus
Midway Sea Wolf

Wall games and mechanical games:

Nintendo WG
Gremlin Trapshoot
Gremlin Play Ball
Chicago Coin Flying Tigers
Chicago Coin Shootout
Allied Leisure Crackshot

There should be others, but the names currently escape me.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#321182 - 01/31/14 06:19 AM

> I didn't know this was on Al's list. If it was on his old Wiretap site, I must have
> missed the page.

Ah, you're right. I thought it was on his old page. (I'm trying to get that back online BTW, Chuck's cityofberwyn.com has been gone since 2012 now... probably will go to "The ARCade ARChive" to be side-by-side with their other archived sites.) But it's merely on his historical list of games, not his want list, on the site.

It ACTUALLY was mentioned on USENET by him over a decade ago.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace/U6lXgDJMkWE/dyfxBLqM2oIJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/ecL75FvJ5L0/9cwE6RqpTTQJ

(Just to be clear, he's no longer looking for it because he moved from arcade collecting to document/computer collecting years ago...)

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (01/31/14 06:28 AM)

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

#321191 - 01/31/14 09:15 AM

> > I didn't know this was on Al's list. If it was on his old Wiretap site, I must have
> > missed the page.
>
> Ah, you're right. I thought it was on his old page. (I'm trying to get that back
> online BTW

If you could, it would be *greatly* appreciated. I used to refer to that quite heavily, and the parts of it that can be dug out of archive.org are nowhere near as good as what it was in its heyday.

> Chuck's cityofberwyn.com has been gone since 2012 now... probably will go
> to "The ARCade ARChive" to be side-by-side with their other archived sites.)

Another one that is much missed.

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321208 - 01/31/14 06:26 PM

Solid choices. Frogs is a hidden gem for sure! I actually have a Midway Clowns and Exidy Circus. Very similar, but I'm keeping the Clowns as it has 2 player action and a bit easier for younger kids. I had a mint condition Depthcharge, but I got ridiculous money for it. I think I like Atari Destroyer better, tho.

Have not found a local Gremlin Trapshoot, but I also haven't looked terribly hard for one.

I recently picked up an Atari Avalanche. That's way up there for me.

> Gremlin's Frogs
> Gremlin's Depthcharge
> Gremlin's Carnival ...although it was 1980, but still last year of 1970s imo.
> Atari Space Race
> Atari Canyon Bomber
> Atari Highway
> Atari Break Out
> PSE Desert Patrol
> Cinematronic's Star Hawk (if it was released in 1980)
> Digital Games' pong clone model 474
> Exidy Circus
> Midway Sea Wolf
>
>
> Wall games and mechanical games:
>
> Nintendo WG
> Gremlin Trapshoot
> Gremlin Play Ball
> Chicago Coin Flying Tigers
> Chicago Coin Shootout
> Allied Leisure Crackshot

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: Stiletto]
#321209 - 01/31/14 06:37 PM

> currently mclemore's most wanted, as well as Seth's. So there's two possibilities.
>
> I just started this thread to try and get clues as to who might be the winner. I'm
> not in good with the collecting scene though.

It's not Seth. Cause, I'm Seth. It's not Andy either, as we were going to work out the lot together. No idea who the winner is, but I do know the seller. Not sure if I'll find out.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#321210 - 01/31/14 08:33 PM

> > currently mclemore's most wanted, as well as Seth's. So there's two possibilities.
> >
> > I just started this thread to try and get clues as to who might be the winner. I'm
> > not in good with the collecting scene though.
>
> It's not Seth. Cause, I'm Seth. It's not Andy either, as we were going to work out
> the lot together. No idea who the winner is, but I do know the seller. Not sure if
> I'll find out.

Aah. Okay!

- Stiletto

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#321214 - 01/31/14 11:07 PM

Seth, since you know the seller, could you contact him so he could take some pictures when he pulls it out? It would be nice to have a series of high rez (if possible) pictures of the cabinet, control panel etc.

If he has a KIA it would be nice also.

Edited by Antny (02/01/14 05:26 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: casm]
#321215 - 01/31/14 11:41 PM

> If you could, it would be *greatly* appreciated. I used to refer to that quite
> heavily, and the parts of it that can be dug out of archive.org are nowhere near as
> good as what it was in its heyday.

Former URLs of the parent site of the Bronze Age Archive included:
spies.com/arcade
spies.com/~arcade
surfin.spies.com/arcade
www.spies.com/arcade
and various combinations thereof.

When it went down, new mirrors included cityofberwyn.com and... stormaster.com IIRC. There was one more but I forget its name, might have been arcadedocs.com or something.

> > Chuck's cityofberwyn.com has been gone since 2012 now... probably will go
> > to "The ARCade ARChive" to be side-by-side with their other archived sites.)
>
> Another one that is much missed.

Anyhow, I have a non-pristine Frankenstein'ed backup taken from Cityofberwyn, Internet Archive and other places. Waiting on final approval and instructions from DLH and final blessing from Al. Might make some minor mods.

- Stiletto

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

#321217 - 02/01/14 12:11 AM

> Former URLs of the parent site of the Bronze Age Archive included:
> spies.com/arcade
> spies.com/~arcade
> surfin.spies.com/arcade
> www.spies.com/arcade
> and various combinations thereof.

Yep, and I'm really kicking myself for not having kept better backups over the years - at one time, I had the entire wiretap site mirrored. Le sigh.

> When it went down, new mirrors included cityofberwyn.com and... stormaster.com IIRC.
> There was one more but I forget its name, might have been arcadedocs.com or
> something.

The other one I can remember was (I think) arcade-manuals.com. Unfortunately, work blocks archive.org, so I really have no good way to check up on it right now.

> Anyhow, I have a non-pristine Frankenstein'ed backup taken from Cityofberwyn,
> Internet Archive and other places. Waiting on final approval and instructions from
> DLH and final blessing from Al. Might make some minor mods.

Nice! Between those, arcarc, and various others it should be possible to reconstrucy most if not all of what used to be out there.

Thinking about it, I believe that some of this was subsumed into the KLOV at some point. Have to check on that later.

pong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire *edit* new [Re: Antny]
#321385 - 02/03/14 09:37 PM

> Seth, since you know the seller, could you contact him so he could take some pictures
> when he pulls it out? It would be nice to have a series of high rez (if possible)
> pictures of the cabinet, control panel etc.
>
> If he has a KIA it would be nice also.

I hear you. This guy likes to keep a low profile. I doubt I'll be allowed to take pics.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Atari/Kee Games Crossfire emulated new [Re: gregf]
#322104 - 02/16/14 11:09 PM

DICE 0.8 release

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: pong]
#322105 - 02/16/14 11:15 PM

>One showed up in the wild...

Thankfully with Crossfire not using any roms or proms we lucked out now that Crossfire is emulated in DICE 0.8 and at least get a chance to see what gameplay was like in case of never getting to see and play the game from the actual cab.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#327218 - 06/20/14 08:19 PM

> This now leaves Dodgeball, Dodgem, and Launch Aircraft as unknown Atari
> arcade video games or maybe never existed such as mistaken name entries
> that don't belong on the list.

Hey gregf! Had one spare minute and decided to poke at this.

1. New trivia: Dodgeball, Curt Vendel and Marty Goldberg claim, was designed by Steve Bristow, and released January 1975. If so, it must be incredibly rare. But evidence seems to exist, no doubt this turned up in their interviews at some point since this is the only place I can find this credit.
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgeball

2. My thoughts on Dodgem. (I doubt it exists.)
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgem

3. I suspect, if anything, "Launch Aircraft" is a European name for Jet Fighter, perhaps. But there's definitely no evidence it ever existed.

4. You missed another System 16 oddball - "Arcade Driver". My thoughts on it seem to point towards an alternate name for Hi-way/Highway: http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Arcade_Driver

- Stiletto

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Send PM

#327237 - 06/21/14 07:02 AM

> > This now leaves Dodgeball, Dodgem, and Launch Aircraft as unknown Atari
> > arcade video games or maybe never existed such as mistaken name entries
> > that don't belong on the list.
>
> Hey gregf! Had one spare minute and decided to poke at this.
>
> 1. New trivia: Dodgeball, Curt Vendel and Marty Goldberg claim, was designed by Steve
> Bristow, and released January 1975. If so, it must be incredibly rare. But evidence
> seems to exist, no doubt this turned up in their interviews at some point since this
> is the only place I can find this credit.
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgeball
>
> 2. My thoughts on Dodgem. (I doubt it exists.)
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgem

I don't know if it exists, but it was definitely worked on. The game was mentioned in the Kee Games Game Needs and Wishes Memo from June 20, 1974.

> 3. I suspect, if anything, "Launch Aircraft" is a European name for Jet Fighter,
> perhaps. But there's definitely no evidence it ever existed.
>
> 4. You missed another System 16 oddball - "Arcade Driver". My thoughts on it seem to
> point towards an alternate name for Hi-way/Highway:
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Arcade_Driver

As an aside, there was a mention of a game called "Driver 1st Person" that was in development in 1974. Night Driver, perhaps? Referenced from Kee Games Projects Memo- 9/18/1974.

Documents from atarigames.com

Marty G
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/21/14
Send PM

#327239 - 06/21/14 09:00 AM

> > > This now leaves Dodgeball, Dodgem, and Launch Aircraft as unknown Atari
> > > arcade video games or maybe never existed such as mistaken name entries
> > > that don't belong on the list.
> >
> > Hey gregf! Had one spare minute and decided to poke at this.
> >
> > 1. New trivia: Dodgeball, Curt Vendel and Marty Goldberg claim, was designed by
> Steve
> > Bristow, and released January 1975. If so, it must be incredibly rare. But evidence
> > seems to exist, no doubt this turned up in their interviews at some point since
> this
> > is the only place I can find this credit.
> > http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgeball
> >
> > 2. My thoughts on Dodgem. (I doubt it exists.)
> > http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgem
>
> I don't know if it exists, but it was definitely worked on. The game was mentioned in
> the Kee Games Game Needs and Wishes Memo from June 20, 1974.
>
> > 3. I suspect, if anything, "Launch Aircraft" is a European name for Jet Fighter,
> > perhaps. But there's definitely no evidence it ever existed.
> >
> > 4. You missed another System 16 oddball - "Arcade Driver". My thoughts on it seem
> to
> > point towards an alternate name for Hi-way/Highway:
> > http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Arcade_Driver
>
> As an aside, there was a mention of a game called "Driver 1st Person" that was in
> development in 1974. Night Driver, perhaps? Referenced from Kee Games Projects Memo-
> 9/18/1974.
>
> Documents from atarigames.com

No, it wasn't Night Driver. Development for that didn't start until late '75/early '76 and was a license.

As for the previous mentioned game Dodgeball, besides our interviews and such it's also listed as a released game in Atari's internal list with a list price of $925. The cabinet was designed by Pete Takaichi. Like Gotcha Color, there are early games like this that saw limited release.

Dodgem was supposed to have been the same as Dodgeball and I believe was part of the usual Atari/Kee variations with cabinet by Regan Cheng. It's mentioned in the October, 1974 issue of Vending Times.

Edited by Marty G (06/21/14 09:08 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Crossfire new [Re: Marty G]
#327249 - 06/21/14 07:27 PM

--
1. New trivia: Dodgeball, Curt Vendel and Marty Goldberg claim, was designed by Steve Bristow, and released January 1975. If so, it must be incredibly rare. But evidence seems to exist, no doubt this turned up in their interviews at some point since this is the only place I can find this credit.
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgeball

2. My thoughts on Dodgem. (I doubt it exists.)
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Dodgem
--

>As for the previous mentioned game Dodgeball, besides our interviews and such it's also
>listed as a released game in Atari's internal list with a list price of $925. The
>cabinet was designed by Pete Takaichi. Like Gotcha Color, there are early games like
>this that saw limited release.

>Dodgem was supposed to have been the same as Dodgeball and I believe was part of the
>usual Atari/Kee variations with cabinet by Regan Cheng. It's mentioned in the October,
>1974 issue of Vending Times.

Thanks for visiting and posting that type of information here. It is definitely appreciated because to me it seems difficult to find that information these days, but Keith Smith has been doing a great job collecting information over the years. Keith also has blog site. (I'll update this post later with links to Keith's site)

Discrete Logistics is a tribute and information site that was initially started by fart_flower in 2001 because at the time non-cpu games emulation and preservation was a slim remote possibility, but thankfully that has changed now that DICE emulates several non-cpu games and MAME might eventually catch up.

Any info can be sent via a message to me, or maybe to Stiletto too if wanting to. Discrete Logistics is overdue for an update will eventually be updated...especially now that Crossfire is emulated and there is a bit more info about Crossfire. Crossfire was almost unknown and only previous thing would be the listed name on web sites. Fortunately Crossfire is now better known these days compared to in years past.

Did Atari or Kee Games have any advertising flyers printed for the limited release games?

So Dodgeball is Atari's release while Dodgem is Kee Game's variation? If so, at least that exlains that part. Do you have any url links that explains Dodgeball gameplay? If there isn't any, do you have time to type up a gameplay explanation of how Dodgeball worked?

As for Gotcha, did the Gotcha Color version use a translucent color overlay piece that fits over a black and white tv set monitor? Or did Gotcha Color use an actual color monitor? I didn't know Gotcha Color was a very limited release. So that explains why I only saw the black/white tv set version of Gotcha back in the mid 1970s.

Any gameplay difference between the wide release Gotcha versus limited Gotcha Color release?

--
> As an aside, there was a mention of a game called "Driver 1st Person" that was in
> development in 1974. Night Driver, perhaps? Referenced from Kee Games Projects Memo-
> 9/18/1974.
>
> Documents from atarigames.com
--

>No, it wasn't Night Driver. Development for that didn't start until late '75/early '76
>and was a license.

Was Atari Night Driver a game licensed from another company?

I remember Atari programmer Dave Shepherd had visited the old MAME.net web site and posted in the forum in 2006 or 2007 and explained a bit about info about Highway, Atari Flyball, Night Driver, and a couple other games from 1980s and 1990s that he was involved with.

iirc Dave was visiting the old MAME.net site because it was within same week he was to attend the CA Extreme event that year and answer questions from the audience there at one of the public forums. Dave also visited MAME.net site to answer questions then.

I am glad Dave had confirmed something regarding Atari Highway cabs back then in 2006 when Dave answered a question or two that I had for him regarding Atari Highway.

As for another game that I thought never existed until seeing actual cab photos was Allied Leisure's Zap. I did get logic schematics for Zap, and maybe within sometime this year or next year Zap should be eventually emulated/preserved.

You can visit Bobby Tribble's unMAMEd web page and from there a link to Adam Bousley's site that hosts DICE.

--
unMAMEd

NOT WORKING/not in MAME, and emulated by Dice

DICE

--

I believe Atari Outlaw was being look over to see if it can be preserved, but emulating the light gun/pistol is one of the challenges iirc.

As before, if you have any information that can be used for helping update Discrete Logistics for later, feel free to send me a lengthy message explaining various games information that are on Discrete Logistics site.

Marty G
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/21/14
Send PM

#327251 - 06/21/14 08:14 PM

> Thanks for visiting and posting that type of information here. It is definitely
> appreciated because to me it seems difficult to find that information these days, but
> Keith Smith has been doing a great job collecting information over the years. Keith
> also has blog site. (I'll update this post later with links to Keith's site)
>

Yes, Keith is a research friend of mine, we often share info back and forth. Looking forward to his book whenever he decides to finish it.

> Any info can be sent via a message to me, or maybe to Stiletto too if wanting to.

Email or on here?

>
> Did Atari or Kee Games have any advertising flyers printed for the limited release
> games?
>

Haven't seen any yet but looking into it.

>
>
> So Dodgeball is Atari's release while Dodgem is Kee Game's variation? If so, at
> least that exlains that part. Do you have any url links that explains Dodgeball
> gameplay? If there isn't any, do you have time to type up a gameplay explanation of
> how Dodgeball worked?

I'll have to go back into the massive archive of notes to dig it out. It may be some time, we're busy working on the second edition of the first book as well as our second book Atari Corp. - Business Is War.

>
>
>
>
> As for Gotcha, did the Gotcha Color version use a translucent color overlay piece
> that fits over a black and white tv set monitor? Or did Gotcha Color use an actual
> color monitor? I didn't know Gotcha Color was a very limited release. So that
> explains why I only saw the black/white tv set version of Gotcha back in the mid
> 1970s.

Full color game with color monitor, no overlays. It was the first color video game. Seeing as how expensive color TVs were at the time, you can understand why it was a limited release.

>
> Any gameplay difference between the wide release Gotcha versus limited Gotcha Color
> release?
>

Not that I'm aware of.

>
> Was Atari Night Driver a game licensed from another company?
>

Yes. Keith has the full story behind the chain of events over at his site (though in the comments I corrected the info on who it was actually licensed from based on our interviews):

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/reiner-forests-nurburgring-original_27.html

Keep in mind just the IP was licensed, none of the original code was used. Dave just went by a game flyer and description.

Regarding Dice, yes I've been following that since it was first announced.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 368 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 11062