Pages: 1

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Cool Riders WIP
#304613 - 02/20/13 04:00 AM

More progress on the one and only Sega H1 game, although still not much to show for it:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2013/02/19/still-too-cool-for-mamedev/

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#304621 - 02/20/13 05:26 AM

nice advance, first videos show a very preliminar emulation

congrats!

Embryoice
I am the Master Warrior!
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#304623 - 02/20/13 05:57 AM

Good game is now in progress! And born to be wild!

Charles MacDonald
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: Embryoice]
#304630 - 02/20/13 07:21 AM

The idea of loading a fake graphics ROM to make the service mode display visible was brilliant.

Looks like the game runs fairly well other than the graphics, I had no idea the entire attract sequence worked.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: Charles MacDonald]
#304631 - 02/20/13 09:21 AM

>The idea of loading a fake graphics ROM to make the service mode display visible was brilliant.

It somewhat reminds me of Haze's progress with some of the Data East encryption from years ago when one of the bootleg games was compared to the Data East version and progress went from there to get other Data East encrypted games working.

Pocket Gal (bootleg)
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=pcktgalb

--
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=chainrec

- 30th July 2005: David Haywood - 3 Weeks of staring at numbers solid until 4am, a bit of teamwork with key developers, and we have our first results... (Magical Drop (Deco 156) shows the message: WARNING - GAME MODE SETTING ERROR). Its not much, but maybe a sign of things to come.
--

Embryoice
I am the Master Warrior!
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: gregf]
#304633 - 02/20/13 10:28 AM

That H1 hardware was kinda like a hybrid mixture of System 32 and Capcom's CPS-3 hardware. I haven't seen this game when I was a kid. But anyways, keep up the good work!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#304639 - 02/20/13 05:39 PM

> That H1 hardware was kinda like a hybrid mixture of System 32 and Capcom's CPS-3
> hardware. I haven't seen this game when I was a kid. But anyways, keep up the good
> work!

It's possible that H1 was the rumored original 2D-only Saturn from before they found out Sony was going polygonal and threw in a bunch of stuff hoping something would stick The obviously extreme development cost doesn't make sense as an arcade one-off running a reskin of Outrunners.

figment1988
Lurker
Reged: 11/14/03
Send PM

#304653 - 02/21/13 02:59 AM

> That H1 hardware was kinda like a hybrid mixture of System 32 and Capcom's CPS-3
> hardware. I haven't seen this game when I was a kid. But anyways, keep up the good
> work!

if i remember well, i only know about this from an issue of GamePro Magazine who was covering the 1995 E3 convention, which also showed the upcoming arcade games of that time such as Mortal Kombat 3, and that same issue also featured an article which showcased the then upcoming Saturn, PS1, and Nintendo Ultra 64.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: R. Belmont]
#304672 - 02/21/13 10:15 AM

> It's possible that H1 was the rumored original 2D-only Saturn from before they found
> out Sony was going polygonal and threw in a bunch of stuff hoping something would
> stick The obviously extreme development cost doesn't make sense as an arcade one-off
> running a reskin of Outrunners.

If it's based on an unreleased console, why the crazy multi-monitor capability? Isn't the board capable of driving four monitors at standard resolution? Or was this going to be a board demonstrating "Saturn technology" in the same way KI demonstrated "Ultra 64 technology"? So many questions!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#304692 - 02/21/13 06:15 PM

> If it's based on an unreleased console, why the crazy multi-monitor capability? Isn't
> the board capable of driving four monitors at standard resolution? Or was this going
> to be a board demonstrating "Saturn technology" in the same way KI demonstrated
> "Ultra 64 technology"? So many questions!

The actual final Saturn had HD capability before any HD standards existed. Sanity is not a strong point of Sega's hardware designs

Also, my guess is the crazy multi-monitor maps to a theoretical consumer unit the same way Multi32's did to System 32: the single-screen version gets all the graphics layers on one screen, the multi-screens get fewer layers per screen (and a separate sprite layer per screen).

Arieta
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/18/06
Send PM

Re: Cool Riders WIP new [Re: R. Belmont]
#304780 - 02/23/13 03:03 AM

> It's possible that H1 was the rumored original 2D-only Saturn from before they found
> out Sony was going polygonal and threw in a bunch of stuff hoping something would
> stick The obviously extreme development cost doesn't make sense as an arcade one-off
> running a reskin of Outrunners.

If you look up the IC part numbers,
Saturn custom chips are 315-5687 to 5690,
H1 custom chips are 315-5691 to 5698.

The board numbers are, however, much lower than that of the Saturn, even including developer hardware. Saturn VA0 Japan: 171-6874D, Saturn Sophia developer board: 171-6833D, H1 video board: 171-6514F. Of course the Saturn probably had more iterations before they reached a design suitable for production, while the H1 may have been thrown into the meat grinder as-is, given that arcade machines operate at a higher cost.

So these numbers really tell you nothing. Odd coincidence with the IC numbers though. Given the strong 2D focus of this thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were similarities between this, the Saturn, and the previous System 24/32 line.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2691