Pages: 1

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Where Were You In '82?
#304265 - 02/14/13 06:00 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1198903728/the-video-craze-where-were-you-in-82-0

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Where Were You In '82? new [Re: Andrew]
#304272 - 02/14/13 08:22 AM

> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1198903728/the-video-craze-where-were-you-in-82-0

It could be cool, although I'm starting to feel like the classic gaming documentary has been done to death at this point. Unless you've got some kind of unique angle, you're pretty much just rehashing the same stuff we've already seen a million times. Walter Day must have done thousands of hours of interviews at this point.

For the record, in '82 I was entering kindergarten.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Where Were You In '82? new [Re: DMala]
#304278 - 02/14/13 04:14 PM

> >
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1198903728/the-video-craze-where-were-you-in-82-0
>
> It could be cool, although I'm starting to feel like the classic gaming documentary
> has been done to death at this point. Unless you've got some kind of unique angle,
> you're pretty much just rehashing the same stuff we've already seen a million times.
> Walter Day must have done thousands of hours of interviews at this point.

Yeah, I'd rather see that home computer documentary that went away. Those guys have probably the last known footage of Jack Tramiel alive. Not that I'd turn down watching this one when it's done, but I'm not gonna back it

ETA: And I'm going to dock additional points for misusing the rhyme from Asia's "Heat of the Moment". Because I can.

Edited by R. Belmont (02/14/13 05:53 PM)

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Where Were You In '82? new [Re: Andrew]
#304282 - 02/14/13 05:23 PM

absolute rubbish.
no coverage of operators, casual players or man on the street.
it's all about richie knucklez, walter and a couple collectors. oh but ralph baer is in it, which almost makes no sense.
looks like he's not getting the extra $10,000 he wanted so he could fly around and promote the "movie."

Bernoulli
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/26/06
Send PM

For the most part -trapped in the womb. NT new [Re: Andrew]
#304287 - 02/14/13 06:30 PM

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/03/12
Send PM

Re: Where Were You In '82? new [Re: DMala]
#304303 - 02/15/13 01:48 AM

> >
>
> It could be cool, although I'm starting to feel like the classic gaming documentary
> has been done to death at this point. Unless you've got some kind of unique angle,
> you're pretty much just rehashing the same stuff we've already seen a million times.
> Walter Day must have done thousands of hours of interviews at this point.

I kinda agree. I'd like to see a documentary from a serious arcade gamers' point of view. People who were obsessed about certain game(s) and about the high score competition (that was very real at least in my local arcade).

I remember when someone first got into the second mothership in Xevious... those two "rolling objects" and that huge exploding bomb appeared... and the whole arcade was watching there in awe... speechless. They were like "holy shit". It was amazing. Or when Dragon's Lair came. It was so revolutionary.

Small memorable "moments" from the arcades and all that. It was much more than just "Pac Man/Space Invaders hype".

Most of these documentaries are just about "general stuff". We older guys all remember that era so we don't really get much from that... something that goes "beyond the surface" would be cool.

Not that I have nothing against these documentaries though... I love to watch them all.

My arcade gameplay videos:

Atari Gravitar fully completed
Atari Star Wars Longplay
Atari Battle Zone Longplay
Atari Space Duel Longplay

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Where Were You In '82? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#304305 - 02/15/13 02:04 AM

In 82-I was most likely in a crib or bassanett getting burped or getting my ass wiped....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1941