MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US?
#303953 - 02/07/13 11:30 PM

Almost made a whole winter without any major storms.Almost...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: mesk]
#303957 - 02/08/13 02:24 AM

> Almost made a whole winter without any major storms.Almost...

Meh, I'm betting the forecasted totals are exaggerated. It'll be a significant storm, but I'll bet we don't get 36 feet or whatever craziness they're predicting. It drives me nuts the way people around here flip out about snow. We're supposed to be hardy New Englanders, dammit.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: DMala]
#303959 - 02/08/13 02:42 AM

>hardy New Englanders, dammit.

I was just @ a Stop and shop.The lines were ridiculous.Almost all registers packed.Why does everyone wait until the last minute?

Yea I also dont expect 36 inches or whatever they are saying.Im guessing around 20 inches. Lots of time for MAME and Dead Space 3 this weekend.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: DMala]
#303962 - 02/08/13 06:22 AM

Flipped through the weather channel this afternoon and they already had an idiot up there with you guys. He was standing outside (dressed like an eskimo)in some small town square waiting for the great white death to start pummeling him from above and get this, no kidding, with a yard stick! Just saying how bad it was gonna be and he'd be there to measure it for the nation to see!! Thanks buddy... hope your dumb-ass freezes to death.
I hate climaterrorists...

Later...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#303965 - 02/08/13 08:29 AM

Newport was the same... Stop & Shop jam packed... Stop & Shop gas station jam packed... Walmart, same parking lot, nearly empty, plenty of milk and water and open registers... drove a few miles over the bridge to find a gas station, and they were empty... I think it's gonna snow tomorrow.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#303978 - 02/08/13 05:26 PM

You would have thought it was the day before Xmas in Walmart last nite. Ah well, the good thing is it may give local businesses a boost and clear all the snow-related products off the shelf.

I live just south of Boston and the snow just started coming down a little while ago. Schools are closed and working from home today.

Just re-installed Pro-Pinball Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey so shaping up to be an enjoyable day + weekend from what I can see.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: snake78]
#303995 - 02/09/13 06:37 AM

> Newport was the same... Stop & Shop jam packed... Stop & Shop gas station jam
> packed... Walmart, same parking lot, nearly empty, plenty of milk and water and open
> registers... drove a few miles over the bridge to find a gas station, and they were
> empty... I think it's gonna snow tomorrow.

For a while here in the middle of New London county, there was a lot of lightning and thunder and snow coming down at an insane rate. At about 6:45 there was only about 6" on the ground. At 9:30 there was 14". Just checked a little while ago, and right now there is 18" on the ground. So the rate has dropped a bit, but to have 18" on the ground and knowing that it's going to be snowing pretty good for another 8 or 9 hours means that yeah, around here we're getting hit pretty hard.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: Jdurgi]
#304012 - 02/09/13 07:31 PM

Same here in Cranston,RI.6" at 6:30pm and at 11:00pm there was 14". While I was on one of my many shoveling trips a transformer exploded a few houses up from me.Dropped my shovel and ran in the house.Some lighting too.We ended up with 23.5" in my backyard.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#304013 - 02/09/13 07:55 PM

> Same here in Cranston,RI.6" at 6:30pm and at 11:00pm there was 14". While I was on
> one of my many shoveling trips a transformer exploded a few houses up from me.Dropped
> my shovel and ran in the house.Some lighting too.We ended up with 23.5" in my
> backyard.

I'm visiting Ft. Meyers for the weekend. It hasn't snowed. It's 80

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

#304028 - 02/10/13 01:34 AM

> Same here in Cranston,RI.6" at 6:30pm and at 11:00pm there was 14". While I was on
> one of my many shoveling trips a transformer exploded a few houses up from me.Dropped
> my shovel and ran in the house.Some lighting too.We ended up with 23.5" in my
> backyard.

I slept in today so I woke up at 3:00. I was lazy. When I got up, thankfully the wind had really died down but it was pretty stunning looking outside and seeing all the snow. We only ended up with about 25-26" here around the Norwich, CT area. But what was hell is that the way my house is situated, the drifts around the door to my driveway made it hard to get out.

The snowblower struggled to get rid of all the snow, and when the town plowed my street they left a wall of snow about 5' high at the end of my driveway. Took three hours to finally clear just enough room to get out to the road if needed, or if someone needed to come here. Sadly, my car is still absolutely buried in snow and I'll need to dig it out tomorrow. I felt like a little kid stuck in a maze with the snow up to my waist in spots. Crazy storm here.

I am just an imbecile.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: Jdurgi]
#304036 - 02/10/13 04:20 AM Attachment: SAM_1566.JPG 1897 KB (0 downloads)

> > Same here in Cranston,RI.6" at 6:30pm and at 11:00pm there was 14". While I was on
> > one of my many shoveling trips a transformer exploded a few houses up from
> me.Dropped
> > my shovel and ran in the house.Some lighting too.We ended up with 23.5" in my
> > backyard.
>
> I slept in today so I woke up at 3:00. I was lazy. When I got up, thankfully the wind
> had really died down but it was pretty stunning looking outside and seeing all the
> snow. We only ended up with about 25-26" here around the Norwich, CT area. But what
> was hell is that the way my house is situated, the drifts around the door to my
> driveway made it hard to get out.
>
> The snowblower struggled to get rid of all the snow, and when the town plowed my
> street they left a wall of snow about 5' high at the end of my driveway. Took three
> hours to finally clear just enough room to get out to the road if needed, or if
> someone needed to come here. Sadly, my car is still absolutely buried in snow and
> I'll need to dig it out tomorrow. I felt like a little kid stuck in a maze with the
> snow up to my waist in spots. Crazy storm here.

been there...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

METRODUCK
Regular
Send PM

rememeber this Romania Buried with 16 Feet of Snow! new [Re: italie]
#304049 - 02/10/13 09:56 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capi...KAvAR_blog.html

somewhere its always worse

Hats off to Tessa west 6/13/1981 -7/11/09

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: rememeber this Romania Buried with 16 Feet of Snow! new [Re: METRODUCK]
#304078 - 02/10/13 11:48 PM

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capi...KAvAR_blog.html
>
> somewhere its always worse

Oh no doubt. I hate it when folks out in Alaska or in Canada saying "Pffft. Two feet of snow? We have that every week!" Well, when you live in an area that is constantly seeing huge amounts of snow, the infrastructure of that area is built around the clean-up of said snow. More of the local budgets are put into clean-up efforts. There's plenty of space to put all that snow that comes down. While here in New England we get big snow storms, we don't get storms like this past one every single winter. Therefore, when it hits, it's not as easy to clear it out. We just don't have the room to put all this snow once it's removed from the streets.

Took me a long time yesterday to clear up the driveway, and I was able to dig my car out earlier today. Driving around the area, it's crazy how high the piles on the sides of the roads are. Two lane roads are reduced to 1.5 lanes at most. The warm weather and bright sunshine has melted a lot of it, so there's plenty of water flooding parking lots and sides of roads. With all the rain being predicted for tomorrow, it'll be crazy with localized flooding.

This was a pretty memorable storm. It was totally surreal driving around in what amounts to a maze of snow out there.

I am just an imbecile.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: rememeber this Romania Buried with 16 Feet of Snow! new [Re: Jdurgi]
#304080 - 02/10/13 11:57 PM

> Oh no doubt. I hate it when folks out in Alaska or in Canada saying "Pffft. Two feet
> of snow? We have that every week!"

Although, we kind of do the same thing when someplace warm gets a 1/2" of snow and the whole area is paralyzed.

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: rememeber this Romania Buried with 16 Feet of Snow! new [Re: DMala]
#304086 - 02/11/13 01:28 AM

> > Oh no doubt. I hate it when folks out in Alaska or in Canada saying "Pffft. Two
> feet
> > of snow? We have that every week!"
>
> Although, we kind of do the same thing when someplace warm gets a 1/2" of snow and
> the whole area is paralyzed.

True, but having done some traveling down south I at least understand how it impacts them. Especially since many roads down in the south have raised reflective markers on the roads, unlike up here in the northeast where it's just tape/paint. As a result, the one or two plows that they have down there have trouble effectively moving the snow without ripping up the reflective markers.

It's all a matter of what the area is prepared for. Down south, it makes no sense to have all this snow preparation. Though I think this storm we just had up here shows that even if you are prepared, when a storm of historic size hits, it can still totally fuck you over.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Big deal... I can't get out of my damn house! new [Re: mesk]
#304092 - 02/11/13 04:16 AM

Northeast get's a storm, it's OMG it's a storm.

North Dakota get's a storm, and it's a beer run...

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Big deal... I can't get out of my damn house! new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#304093 - 02/11/13 06:36 AM

> Northeast get's a storm, it's OMG it's a storm.
>
> North Dakota get's a storm, and it's a beer run...

That's what second floor windows and a 50lb bag of road salt is for. :P

LN

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Re: Big deal... I can't get out of my damn house! new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#304113 - 02/11/13 05:57 PM

hehe Love it. Never experienced it myself, but heard of it.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#304161 - 02/12/13 04:35 AM

Lost power, heat and hot water around 9:30 Friday night... came back on Sunday morning around 11... it was cold... but we survived...

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: 2 ft of snow coming,who else lives in the Northeast US? new [Re: snake78]
#304163 - 02/12/13 05:02 AM

> Lost power, heat and hot water around 9:30 Friday night... came back on Sunday
> morning around 11... it was cold... but we survived...

Glad to hear that.We lost it in Cranston but only for a short time

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1836