Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain
#303782 - 02/04/13 11:25 AM

...showing a _new_ episode of Elementary after the Super Bowl?

If they haven't seen it, a rerun would work fine.

How many regular viewers do think you'll LOSE, airing that episode just once, off schedule, and not at the time programmed? Your normally scheduled episodes air twice, but not this one.

Something significant may have happened, and you've kept it from the few people who've actually been watching the show in favor of the many who don't care about it.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain new [Re: TriggerFin]
#303794 - 02/04/13 04:58 PM

> ...showing a _new_ episode of Elementary after the Super Bowl?
>
> If they haven't seen it, a rerun would work fine.
>
> How many regular viewers do think you'll LOSE, airing that episode just once, off
> schedule, and not at the time programmed? Your normally scheduled episodes air twice,
> but not this one.
>
> Something significant may have happened, and you've kept it from the few people
> who've actually been watching the show in favor of the many who don't care about it.

Do people really still watch TV shows at the time they air? I've had TiVO for something like 10 years now, I pretty much never watch a show live. To the point where we'll be sitting in front of the TV when a show is coming on, and we'll watch something else for a half hour so we can build up enough slack to fast forward through the commercials.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain new [Re: DMala]
#303795 - 02/04/13 05:28 PM

> Do people really still watch TV shows at the time they air? I've had TiVO for
> something like 10 years now, I pretty much never watch a show live. To the point
> where we'll be sitting in front of the TV when a show is coming on, and we'll watch
> something else for a half hour so we can build up enough slack to fast forward
> through the commercials.

Between DVR and BT, we haven't watched anything live (other than sporting events) in several years). -JW

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain new [Re: TriggerFin]
#303796 - 02/04/13 05:34 PM

> How many regular viewers do think you'll LOSE, airing that episode just once, off
> schedule, and not at the time programmed? Your normally scheduled episodes air twice,
> but not this one.

Most DVRs made in the last decade will pick that up fine. Who watches non-sports live anymore?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain new [Re: R. Belmont]
#303803 - 02/04/13 07:35 PM

> > How many regular viewers do think you'll LOSE, airing that episode just once, off
> > schedule, and not at the time programmed? Your normally scheduled episodes air
> twice,
> > but not this one.
>
> Most DVRs made in the last decade will pick that up fine. Who watches non-sports live
> anymore?

Failed. The DVR provided by my cable company (required for "digital tier" channels) recorded an hour's worth of NFL footage, and completely missed the show, because the schedule had it listed at a certain time. I've gone and watched the crap quality version online, where the show plays fine, but the ads buffer one second at a time.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#303805 - 02/04/13 07:55 PM

I know. I haven't done it in years. It's either watch on the station's website or dvr. There's not much point in a schedule for anything but sports and news. It's just a bunch of wasted bandwidth.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#303809 - 02/04/13 08:44 PM

> Failed. The DVR provided by my cable company (required for "digital tier" channels)
> recorded an hour's worth of NFL footage, and completely missed the show, because the
> schedule had it listed at a certain time. I've gone and watched the crap quality
> version online, where the show plays fine, but the ads buffer one second at a time.

True, the game ran long because of the power outage. That's the one case where a DVR fails. I'm surprised nobody's made one that can be pushed schedule adjustments in real time. They're all broadband connected these days, it seems like it would be trivial to do.

If I cared, I'd probably pad a recording after a sports event by 30-45 minutes. Pretty much the only thing I've ever had cut off that way is The Simpsons, which I mostly just watch out of habit anyway.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#303814 - 02/04/13 10:46 PM

The professional cappers do that I have heard and then when the commercials get edited out of the stream it's also easy to chop off the last hour or 2 if you set it to record over an 1 or 2 incase of overtime, delays, or post game talk.

The 3 capps I have access to all look great and the delay didn't mess up what those guys can do. Now I just have to decide which I want to permanently archive

UNCUT.RAW-QAM
1080i.RAW
720P

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#303819 - 02/05/13 01:26 AM

> > Most DVRs made in the last decade will pick that up fine. Who watches non-sports
> live
> > anymore?
>
> Failed. The DVR provided by my cable company (required for "digital tier" channels)
> recorded an hour's worth of NFL footage, and completely missed the show, because the
> schedule had it listed at a certain time. I've gone and watched the crap quality
> version online, where the show plays fine, but the ads buffer one second at a time.

My DVR works the same way. I knew the game was going to run long, so I set the DVR to stop recording one hour late. Of course, the episode didn't start until one hour, seven minutes after the scheduled time, so unless they shortened the commercial breaks to end it by eleven (not likely) I probably missed the ending.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain new [Re: Allnatural]
#303830 - 02/05/13 05:39 AM

> > > Most DVRs made in the last decade will pick that up fine. Who watches non-sports
> > live
> > > anymore?
> >
> > Failed. The DVR provided by my cable company (required for "digital tier" channels)
> > recorded an hour's worth of NFL footage, and completely missed the show, because
> the
> > schedule had it listed at a certain time. I've gone and watched the crap quality
> > version online, where the show plays fine, but the ads buffer one second at a time.
>
>
> My DVR works the same way. I knew the game was going to run long, so I set the DVR to
> stop recording one hour late. Of course, the episode didn't start until one hour,
> seven minutes after the scheduled time, so unless they shortened the commercial
> breaks to end it by eleven (not likely) I probably missed the ending.

I couldn't have done anything like this, as I didn't actually know the episode would air at all on Sunday. I try very hard to miss the "next episode" stuff at the end, as well as any previews that might spoil things.
Only the DVR itself knew the episode would exist, until I found it in the list. Most days I go through the scheduled recordings ahead of time, but there's nothing scheduled for Sunday normally.

Ah well. What was the next thing I was going to complain about? I've forgotten....

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#303877 - 02/06/13 12:36 AM

> Most days I go through the scheduled recordings ahead of time, but there's nothing
> scheduled for Sunday normally.
>
> Ah well. What was the next thing I was going to complain about? I've forgotten....

Not a fan of The Mentalist I take it?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: How many regular viewers do you really think you'll gain new [Re: Allnatural]
#303889 - 02/06/13 09:25 AM

> > Most days I go through the scheduled recordings ahead of time, but there's nothing
> > scheduled for Sunday normally.
> >
> > Ah well. What was the next thing I was going to complain about? I've forgotten....
>
> Not a fan of The Mentalist I take it?

I can DVR two things at a time, and at some point they had conflicts with some other things I was already recording, so I wasn't able to start watching it. I don't need to start overloading my internet to seek out the huge backlog of episodes, and I haven't enough hours free to view it anyway, so it, along with quite a few other things, is unwatched.

CBS itself has had other things I tried to watch which it then shifted into conflicting slots ("People seem to like watching this type of program on this night, so let's put this here!"), so they lose my views on most programs pretty quickly.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 490 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1462