View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Doommaster1994
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/30/13
Send PM

WAV Recording in MAME
#303482 - 01/30/13 08:26 AM

Hello there. This is my first post here, so please forgive me if I've done something wrong.
I wanted to record music from an arcade game since there's no arcade music emulator that supports it. I'm pretty sure on an older version of MAME that I used, there was a WAV hotkey, but I looked all over the control settings and couldn't find it. I'm using the windows version, not the DOS version. I'm just curious if there still is a hotkey to record WAV files in the Windows version of MAME or is the DOS version the only way?
I'm not familiar with using the DOS version. Thanks.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: WAV Recording in MAME new [Re: Doommaster1994]
#303486 - 01/30/13 09:55 AM

use M1 which allows playing and recording.

Doommaster1994
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: WAV Recording in MAME new [Re: Roman]
#303493 - 01/30/13 11:18 AM

I said this game isn't supported by any arcade music emulators. The game is Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#303507 - 01/30/13 04:33 PM

> I said this game isn't supported by any arcade music emulators. The game is Danny
> Sullivan's Indy Heat.

Use the commandline "-wavwrite capture.wav" will save all sound from your MAME session. AFAIK, there is no .wav hotkey. When you are through recording what you wanted, you need to open the .wav in an editor and copy/paste out the parts you want, etc.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#303512 - 01/30/13 06:55 PM

> I'm just curious if there still is a hotkey to record WAV files in the Windows version
> of MAME or is the DOS version the only way?

There hasn't been a DOS version of MAME for 6 years now, so you're unlikely to be using it anyway.

If you mean "MAMEUI" or "MAMEUIFX" by "Windows version", you should really look into a more modern GUI frontend like GameEx or QMC2 or EmuLoader or mGalaxy. Those all let you use the real MAME executable with a comfortable customizable graphical interface and you have access to more of MAME and MESS's features than the "UI" versions are able to offer.

Doommaster1994
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: WAV Recording in MAME new [Re: Tafoid]
#303515 - 01/30/13 07:54 PM

I don't have a problem editing it, but I'm not sure how to use the commandline.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#303527 - 01/30/13 11:18 PM

> I don't have a problem editing it, but I'm not sure how to use the commandline.

It's nothing special.

While holding down the shift key, right-click your mame folder, then click "Open command window here".

Then type mame indyheat -wavwrite capture.wav and press enter.

Replace 'mame' with the name of your mame executable, ie Mameui64 or whatever you're using.

S

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: WAV Recording in MAME new [Re: Sune]
#303532 - 01/30/13 11:53 PM

> While holding down the shift key, right-click your mame folder, then click "Open
> command window here".

Bwah

Why the hell do we have to have Shift pressed to get that option?! Freakin' Microsoft...

Doommaster1994
MAME Fan
Send PM

#303536 - 01/31/13 01:24 AM

Thanks, that worked!
I had to install a stupid tool from Microsoft that allowed me to get that option.
I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems whenever I hold the F2 key during the game, the game freezes but the music continues.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: WAV Recording in MAME new [Re: Foxhack]
#303537 - 01/31/13 01:36 AM

> > While holding down the shift key, right-click your mame folder, then click "Open
> > command window here".
>
> Bwah
>
> Why the hell do we have to have Shift pressed to get that option?! Freakin'
> Microsoft...

Because it's "advanced" I guess? There's probably a registry edit to make it always show.

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#303538 - 01/31/13 01:40 AM

> Thanks, that worked!
> I had to install a stupid tool from Microsoft that allowed me to get that option.

You didn't say which OS you were running so I assumed you were running Windows 7.

> I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems whenever I hold the F2 key during the
> game, the game freezes but the music continues.

Why do you need to hold F2?

F2 enters service/test mode on most games. F3 is reset. Press TAB and look at the controls for the game you're running to see what you're doing.

S

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#303541 - 01/31/13 02:35 AM

> > Thanks, that worked!
> > I had to install a stupid tool from Microsoft that allowed me to get that option.
>
> You didn't say which OS you were running so I assumed you were running Windows 7.
>
> > I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems whenever I hold the F2 key during the
> > game, the game freezes but the music continues.
>
> Why do you need to hold F2?
>
> F2 enters service/test mode on most games. F3 is reset. Press TAB and look at the
> controls for the game you're running to see what you're doing.
>
> S

The procedure needed to enter test is detailed in the driver (CTRL+F2) although it does not have a "sound test". If you want certain music, you are likely going to have to play it in game and then edit it afterwords. You might need to activate cheats as well (-cheat) which you can use the sliders to control audio sounds from certain channels to 'isolate' only the music you want to record- as well to allow you more time in game to do it.

Doommaster1994
MAME Fan
Send PM

#303542 - 01/31/13 02:57 AM

My apologies. I use Windows XP SP3.
The reason I have to hold F2 to freeze the game is because the music eventually changes since the game goes into a demo mode of one of the tracks, so the game switches to the song for that track. I know F2 is used for the service mode, but for me, it just holds the game in place and lets the music play.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#303545 - 01/31/13 04:30 AM

> > Thanks, that worked!
> > I had to install a stupid tool from Microsoft that allowed me to get that option.
>
> You didn't say which OS you were running so I assumed you were running Windows 7.
>

There's a better app that does the same thing and adds a few new features, even on Windows 7...

ContextConsole Shell Extension
http://code.kliu.org/cmdopen/

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: WAV Recording in MAME new [Re: krick]
#303551 - 01/31/13 05:15 AM

In Windows 8 you can just open a window, and it's on the file menu. Also has a command prompt as admin option.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#303553 - 01/31/13 05:57 AM

> > > While holding down the shift key, right-click your mame folder, then click "Open
> > > command window here".
> >
> > Bwah
> >
> > Why the hell do we have to have Shift pressed to get that option?! Freakin'
> > Microsoft...
>
> Because it's "advanced" I guess? There's probably a registry edit to make it always
> show.
>
> S

There is. Woohoo! I enabled that feature on XP via the PowerToys but I never knew we could do this without them installed (and I have Windows 7 anyway.)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2672