View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Anyone run a forum?
#303364 - 01/27/13 11:51 PM Attachment: tumblr_m8026duBCn1r7nzppo1_500.gif 310 KB (0 downloads)

Good God. The number one task is deleting all the damn spam members that sign up every day... even with verification questions and an extreme captcha. You guys don't seem to have that problem here at MW... what's the ticket?

The dumb thing is... most of the "spam" is nonsensical jibberish... who goes through the trouble to do that? It doesn't even sell anything... it's just pure jibberjabber.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Anyone run a forum? new [Re: GatKong]
#303365 - 01/27/13 11:53 PM

The trick is twisty did tons of custom programming on our software over years fighting it. That's one of the reasons I don't want to update it. Of course we still can't keep out the most determined shitbags but I'm happy with it.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#303367 - 01/28/13 12:01 AM

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: Anyone run a forum? new [Re: Robbbert]
#303370 - 01/28/13 12:58 AM

>
> Yeah, i'm an admin at a forum, and we started getting up to 100 new spam accounts a
> day. So we turned on admin approval, which means they can't post anything till we
> approve them. Any account we don't validate gets automatically deleted after 2 days.
> Due to the fact that there is minimal actual new members, we don't have to do
> anything, it takes care of itself.

All of this ^^

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Ok, Learning Curve... I'll share... new [Re: Robbbert]
#303373 - 01/28/13 04:05 AM Attachment: ICU.gif 490 KB (0 downloads)

OK, here's the "must do" list I found on many forum admin advice sites:

There is a community project that tracks spammers:

Project Honeypot

You add a honeypot onto your domain, so they can detect new spam bot spiders that visit your url, and add them to their database. [edit: it also catches harvesters] It's a tiny 79kb file.

Moreover, you add the following mods to your server:

httpBL mod

Stop Spammers mod

The first blocks known spam spiders (from the Honeypot database) from even being able to get access to your url.

The second is in case humans are working the registrations to create spam manually. It allows you to tag them as if they were a spam spider, and report them to the Honeypot project. Apparently humans are doing what bots used to do. (Which is BS... all these humans are going to be taking jobs away from robots in the future... robots unite!)

Many sites claimed these two mods, which are designed to work together, using Honeypot's database, will block 99.999% of your spam traffic.

I've had mine up and running about an hour, and no new spam in that time, and the spam log is registering the fact that it is already blocking many of the sources I was having to do manually. I even got ballsy and disabled my banlist to see what happens, and the spam log right away started noting hits from my previously banned sites... which were already on the honeypot registry and banned them again for me.

Noice. I like. If MW is basically spam-free... I bet Twisty already did all of the above.. or some such similar situation.

Thought I'd share.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Gatinho (01/28/13 04:21 AM)

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Look at it go! new [Re: GatKong]
#303378 - 01/28/13 06:02 AM Attachment: Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 9.57.59 PM.png 75 KB (0 downloads)

Yeah... this is one page of my spam-block log... everyone of those hits used to be a spam registration... I feel like I can sleep easy tonight knowing Honeypot guards the wall. You want Honeypot on that wall... you NEED Honeypot on that wall... because YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Not any more. new [Re: GatKong]
#303379 - 01/28/13 06:04 AM

The place was essentially dead anyway. I haven't been back there in a long time, and don't have any intention of even looking at that forum. I was a co-admin (not the founder of the site/forum). It was a Yuku bb (I can't recall what it was before that... ezboard?) and there'd be an occasional spammer with links to the usual crap. I don't know if yuku let's forum admins add things like that or not. I'd assume the forum would work however the provider has it set up to work....

Then again I can't say I know anything of how forum software works or what can be done with it. I'd just go to admin settings, search for the username, then ban 'em that way. eta: if they weren't already banned from the 'community' by the time I get back around to see how things were going. :snorlax:

Edited by Tomu Breidah (01/28/13 06:06 AM)

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Look at it go! new [Re: GatKong]
#303380 - 01/28/13 06:24 AM

> Yeah... this is one page of my spam-block log... everyone of those hits used to be a
> spam registration... I feel like I can sleep easy tonight knowing Honeypot guards the
> wall. You want Honeypot on that wall... you NEED Honeypot on that wall... because YOU
> CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

What would really be brilliant is if you could submit those IPs to a service that would perform geolocation on them and dispatch a bomber.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#303381 - 01/28/13 06:51 AM

I tried reCaptcha and several other blocking methods over the years, but the one that seems to have worked the best is adding several "are you a bot" type questions that are specific to the site content. The idea is to come up with questions that are somewhat easy for your target demographic to answer, but are hard for random spammers to figure out without a bit of research. Sure, some people are determined and will still get through, but it makes it hard enough that many don't bother. The tough part is coming up with good questions.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Anyone run a forum? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#303408 - 01/28/13 05:47 PM

I have the same problem on phpBBS, and Simple Machines.
The only solution I have found is this mod you have to insert into the config files. You can find it at www.botscout.com

I tried blocking Chinese IP addresses but it is a losing game.

Good luck!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#303423 - 01/28/13 11:21 PM

> Good God. The number one task is deleting all the damn spam members that sign up
> every day... even with verification questions and an extreme captcha. You guys don't
> seem to have that problem here at MW... what's the ticket?
>
>
> The dumb thing is... most of the "spam" is nonsensical jibberish... who goes through
> the trouble to do that? It doesn't even sell anything... it's just pure jibberjabber.

Kind of.

I help moderate VGCollect and the forum was swarming with tons of spambots all the time. I ended up suggesting that they install the Stop Forum Spam plugin after I used its services at my website to stop comment spam and it worked wonders. Now we only get like one spam message a month.

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

It helps stop most bots, but a few will still get through.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Look at it go! new [Re: DMala]
#303554 - 01/31/13 06:00 AM

> > Yeah... this is one page of my spam-block log... everyone of those hits used to be
> a
> > spam registration... I feel like I can sleep easy tonight knowing Honeypot guards
> the
> > wall. You want Honeypot on that wall... you NEED Honeypot on that wall... because
> YOU
> > CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
>
> What would really be brilliant is if you could submit those IPs to a service that
> would perform geolocation on them and dispatch a bomber.

Unfortunately some of these spoof the IP address or use remote connections.

I use Honeypot and StopForumSpam. Sadly that doesn't stop the douchebags that keep trying to hack into my site with stupid passwords like 123456, qwerty, asdfgh, lol, liberty, etc. I wish it did, but I can't find a way to report them to the database automatically...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1567