MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/10
Send PM

Deco Cassette games and their countdowns...
#303241 - 01/25/13 09:06 PM

Hi guys. Is it normal that everytime a Deco cassette game is loaded it has to count down? I thought once the nvram is written it wouldn't do this anymore but it does.

Its arkward booting one of these games on my cab and staring at a countdown screen.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: Trnzaddict]
#303243 - 01/25/13 09:25 PM

> Hi guys. Is it normal that everytime a Deco cassette game is loaded it has to count
> down? I thought once the nvram is written it wouldn't do this anymore but it does.
>
> Its arkward booting one of these games on my cab and staring at a countdown screen.

It's the way it was. Major arcade operators were known to power up games several minutes before opening their doors (esp malls) to allow games to achieve that state of readiness.

I could be misremembering too, but I not sure DECOCASS hardware had any nvram/battery backup.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: Tafoid]
#303245 - 01/25/13 09:44 PM

> > Hi guys. Is it normal that everytime a Deco cassette game is loaded it has to count
> > down? I thought once the nvram is written it wouldn't do this anymore but it does.
> >
> > Its arkward booting one of these games on my cab and staring at a countdown screen.
>
>
> It's the way it was. Major arcade operators were known to power up games several
> minutes before opening their doors (esp malls) to allow games to achieve that state
> of readiness.
>
> I could be misremembering too, but I not sure DECOCASS hardware had any nvram/battery
> backup.

If I understand correctly, the countdown is where the game code was literally being read in to memory from the tape. If there was a way for the machine to store that, you wouldn't have needed the tape in the first place.

The decocass driver runs pretty fast unthrottled. I usually just hit F10 and it zips through the countdown pretty quickly. I believe the driver also supports save states, so you could enable autosave to automatically save and load the state, and avoid the countdown that way.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: DMala]
#303246 - 01/25/13 09:50 PM

You would be better off with states if they are supported. F10 can cause bugs.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#303252 - 01/25/13 11:09 PM

> You would be better off with states if they are supported. F10 can cause bugs.

No, it can't. Any driver where it does it's a bug, and it definitely does not on DECO cassettes.

That said, the fast forward key (page down on SDL builds, at least) is much more effective for this sort of thing.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#303253 - 01/25/13 11:16 PM

Well I always try to use it on Deco games and before it has made a game freeze on me and it played fine when I let it run all throttled from the start so, I don't know where the bug lies but it glitched when I ran it unthrottled and was fine throttled. I read somewhere that unthrottling could cause bugs in any game so I didn't submit a report.

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Send PM

#303255 - 01/25/13 11:52 PM

How can mame automatically load a state when these games load?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: Trnzaddict]
#303260 - 01/26/13 12:09 AM

> How can mame automatically load a state when these games load?

By means of clever programming.

S

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: Sune]
#303266 - 01/26/13 03:09 AM

> By means of clever programming.

...which has already been done for you. Just use the -state argument on the command line.

> mame64 -showusage
#
# CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
#
-state saved state to load

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Deco Cassette games and their countdowns... new [Re: drewcifer]
#303272 - 01/26/13 04:17 AM

> > By means of clever programming.
>
> ...which has already been done for you. Just use the -state argument on the command
> line.
>
> > mame64 -showusage
> .
> .
> .
> #
> # CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
> #
> -state saved state to load
> .
> .
> .
Thanks. Yea I figured out how to autoload the state, I'm actually gonna compile a special mame with the save state and load state messages deleted from the source so the game loads right at the title screen with no message. Some guy figured out how to do it at the BYOAC forums.

My hi scores also save successfully even when reloading the save state so cool beans . Thanks for all the responses guys.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#303273 - 01/26/13 04:29 AM

> I read somewhere that unthrottling could cause bugs in any game so I didn't submit a
> report.

I think it's fine to submit a report, it's a bug.

Frameskipping can also cause problems in some drivers as well, any incorrect behaviour when holding down escape on these or setting frameskip to anything other than 0 is also considered a bug.

Edited by smf (01/26/13 04:31 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2774